Philips Mechanical Design Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Philips President and CEO Frans van Houten
Frans van Houten
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance and senior management (in 72 reviews)

• Slow decision making on the exec level (in 66 reviews)

1. "R&D Intern"

Former Intern - Mechanical Design Engineer in Andover, MA
    Former Intern - Mechanical Design Engineer in Andover, MA

I worked at Philips as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Given responsiblilites of full time employee, laid back work environment, helpful staff

Cons

Sometimes didn't have much work to do due to a lull in business

2. "Good Place to Learn and Start"

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Latham, NY
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Latham, NY

I have been working at Philips (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people with profound engineering knowledge. So smart and innovative. The team is not that big. Therefore, more interaction between team members and less political affairs

Cons

The software used is not that well known. No free coffee. The cafeteria is tiny and has very limited choices for lunch and breakfast.

"I had a very enjoyable, learning experience at Philips."

Former Contractor - Mechanical Design Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Contractor - Mechanical Design Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Philips as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been seeking for quite some time now to work for a company that produces products that are helpful to the cause of medical science. Since the crux of my career has been confined to military defense components organizations in the medical arena have disregarded my attempts to switch to making medical devices/equipment.

Cons

I was taken back by the amount of information each employee, especially in the engineering departments each employee is expected to retain. I heard common comments that there is no way each person should be expected to remember everything to ensure each product is always compliant to all the various specifications..

Advice to Management

I suggested that specialized sub-groups be organized that could over-see each engineering discipline: one group for mechanical, one for electrical, one materials, etc. the purpose of each group would be to be the information collecting point. Each group would be responsible for any spec changes, updates, refinements, etc that pertain to their specialized talent. Then when new drawings are created or revised these specialized sub-group would be responsible to review the documents to ensure that everything was in compliance. That way the designers could focus on making components/assemblies pertinent to the design and the sub-groups could just focus on making sure the FDA compliance.

5. "Designing a product for ID people"

Current Contractor - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Contractor - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Philips as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

feels no stress doing design

Cons

Contractor engineer been threat like third class, design like cowboy sometime, to much politics

Advice to Management

Please hear the contractor voice, threat equally