Philips Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Philips President and CEO Frans van Houten
Frans van Houten

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance and senior management (in 72 reviews)

• Slow decision making on the exec level (in 66 reviews)

"High Acuity Sales Specialist. Stay Away. Read Cons"

Former Employee - Patient Monitoring Sales Specialist in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Patient Monitoring Sales Specialist in North Andover, MA

I worked at Philips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Products and Good People

Cons

Annual salary decreases. Target compensation remains the same or goes down annually. No cost of living salary increase. Complicated commission structure penalizing over performance in one category if 2 others are not exceeded. Unattainable quotas averaging 20% + with average quota size between $15M - $22M. Insufficient resources to be successful. Annual role, territory and manager changes. Currently 50% of variable compensation is tied to revenue (ongoing post PO installs which are not the job of a sales person) and unobtainable buckets. Workload is that of 3 sales reps after recent reduction in force. No work life balance, insurmountable workload, buried in processes that add an additional 2-3 hours daily.

If you interview for a job. Ask how long the territory has been vacant. How has the target compensation increased over the last 5 years? Do you give annual inflationary salary raises? Ask a representative how many managers and territories they have had in the last 4 years.

Advice to Management

Get back to what worked and compensate people in this role. Other roles in Philips should not have higher targets as we manage territories that result in sales higher than ENTIRE divisions. Pay us on straight up sales. Do not penalize overperformance in a horrible bucket component that has 1-2 out of 3 that are impossible to hit.

You are about to see a MASS exodus. This will result in open geographies thereby allowing competitors to take share. By the time a replacement is hired it will be 3-6 months before they are up and running. They then will not last 6 months before quitting because the job cannot be done in the current model especially if you are hired outside of Philips. You better revamp the compensation structure quickly as any job requiring 18 hour days, weekends while generating $15M-22M in sales in each territory alone should not result in an income in sync with a pharmaceutical job.

Mar 23, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi, thanks for your review. It sounds like you’ve not had the best experience while working for us and it’s not reflective of the kind of employee experience we try to provide at Philips. While every ... More

"Simplicity and Supidity at its Finest in CLE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Philips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was a great Dutch company in 2006-2010, Culture was exceptional, diversity valued. 2010 things changed, It was common to see longevity of those seasoned employees who grew with company retire with the company. MBAs was the degree to have and it had great placement throughout the Organization. Money was great over 6 figures for Senior Management role. Simplicity Points rewarding for efforts. Gym and Cafeteria as awesome.

Cons

2010 things changed in the Organization. Quality Compliance a Nightmare, Poor documentation, validation and verification, mmm questionable at best. Leadership changed like the clock on the wall and so did the experience that departed. No ownership from top management. Long hours, expectations, work until it gets done. Average hours 75 hours a week, that was the expectations, not dare leave or you be let go for not being a team player. Late nights, getting home early in the wee hours 1-2am just to wake back up and start at 8am. 2012 was even worse and followed with 2013, and 2014.

Advice to Management

Get with the program and take care of your people. Take ownership, be accountable and walk with integrity. Set expectations, be visible and remember, the work that you and your team do is for the customer, end user -patient throughout the world. Be a leader by instilling trust, mutual respect and honesty. Lastly, YCBFSE whom I have had the pleasure to work for and with!@

Jan 19, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello there, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us here. We can learn a lot from employees who have worked over 8 years for us. We are shocked hearing the working hours you have ... More

"Poor culture, pathetic "leadership""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Philips full-time

Pros

Some training opportunities.
    Good benefits, but other companies have matched these benefits.
    Job security-very rarely would they let an employee go.

Cons

Stressful and tense political culture.
    Management not interested in producing quality work.
    Blame comes freely from managment to employees, but recognition is never given for good work.
    Management gossips about employees and their "incompetence".
    Does not promote innovation but is very good at self promotion and inflation of achievements--without substance to back up claims.
    Generally an unprofessional work environment.
    Sexism occurs more frequently than it should.
    There was never any plan for the project leading to lack of focus and direction at all levels.

Advice to Management

Clean house

Jan 19, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi there. First of all we would like to thank you for your hard work and efforts for our company. It is truly appreciated and we hope that you have found another good employer in the meantime. We ... More

"All about the bottom dollar."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murrysville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murrysville, PA

Pros

Nothing good to say about them. I would give them a zero if I could

Cons

Management string you along with promises of promotions or raises. None of the teams knows what any other teams are doing.

Advice to Management

Get new managers. They rarely interact outside of their team.

Sep 15, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello there, thank you for taking the time to write a review on Glassdoor. We're sorry to hear from you that your work experience at Philips did not meet your expectations at all. Your feedback ... More

"Cutting corners, hemorrhaging good people and profits. Stay away from Cleveland site."

Current Employee - Training in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Training in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A decent employee can look amazing by contrast of the 'old timers' who can't or won't do anything.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement, change suggestions are not taken well nor implemented and there's reasons why so many of the product lines have the FDA knocking at the door all the time for audits. Corporate policies are stuck to even when they are bad for the customer, or employee or both because no one can think outside the box.

Advice to Management

use the tools of modern business, calendars, sharepoint, computers in general! Lean is not just a catchphrase to make you look like you are doing something useful, and good employees cost something, when you hire cheap you get cheap and then the good people who are there get frustrated and leave!

Sep 15, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello there, first of all we'd like to thank you for your dedication to Philips and for your valued service for the past three years at our office in Cleveland in the United States. Thank you ... More

"Unethical Managemrnt"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Philips (More than 8 years)

Pros

My colleagues are great people!

Cons

You will be in constant fear of losing your job.

Advice to Management

Stop misleading the investors and public. The company is on a huge downward spiral.

Aug 5, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello there, thank you for your feedback. This definitely is something we value, seeing that you have been with us for a very long time already. Our company is a very large organization that is ... More

"Disrespectful Employees, Lack Motivation."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Philips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy assembly position. Great hours.

Cons

I was a temporary worker working for Philips for a couple of months. I was harassed every single day for being a corporative and discipline worker. The employees there are disrespectful to authority and policies. They would literally stand in groups gossip and verbally harass me for no reason. I did my job and stayed to myself.
    If you like to:
    Curse and curse in front of management.
    Take long breaks and lunch breaks.
    Talk on your cell phone while in the restrooms.
    Stay Idle for half a day.
    Come in late.
    Not interested in self-discipline.
    Then this is the perfect position for you. It don’t get no better than this.

Advice to Management

Fight for good people who respects authority and policies.

Aug 5, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello there, thank you for sharing information about your time with Philips. We must say that it is very unfortunate to hear this is your experience. It is our goal to provide our all hard working ... More

"FSE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Philips (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company car, cell phone, gas card. And a few very few employees.

Cons

Holier than now attitude and micro managing from upper management, some tech supports (NSS) and FSEs . Also untrained managers. Very little understanding of customer support and team work. Losing valuable FSEs' due to low wages and high school politics. Can't move up unless you are friends with upper managers. Managers manipulate numbers to hit there numbers and bonuses. Unsafe working practices with expected 26+ straight working hours and late night calls while working on high voltage systems by yourself. Raises are only if your friends with management and even with advancement very little bump in salary. management to force all hours of coverage even after long hours are worked.
    Lies and manipulation through all levels. Customer sevice is At an all time low. Passing of systems with severe issues due to know one owning a service call.
    No balance of work/ family.

Advice to Management

Feels like direct managers are to blame. While high up managers may not even know what is happeneing in the field. Reevaluate your VP's and down. Make sure positions are being filled after interviews not just filled with friends. And customer sevice IS NOT giving away free hours all day long or manipulating the customer. It is showing respect with communication, kindness and flexibility. Like you would if they were your grandma.
    Start paying better we are field sevice of the most difficult systems while working with some of the most difficult organizations around, who help safe people's lifes.

Jul 31, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

I was sorry to read your review, but thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It’s hearing about regrettable experiences like yours that help us continuously improve, so our ... More

"Material Handler"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Air conditioned warehouse, that's all they got to offer thee employees. There not many words to mention on the pros..

Cons

Underpaid, unfair treatment of employees, favoritism, unprofessional management to say the least. It's not what you know in this company but who you know.

Advice to Management

Taking care of your employees should be your priority. Starting with fair compensation. Get yourself educated on the California laws and regulations. Read and understand your own ethics and practices. Learn and put into action your own PHILIPS behaviors, eager to win, team up to excel and take ownership.

Jul 12, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

Thanks for being with us for more than 8 years already. We appreciate you coming here and share your opinion. We are sad to read the cons you are mentioning. We take these very seriously. It’s a pity ... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Framingham, MA

Pros

Their vision is good however they are behind GE.

Cons

Company does not support or backup Managers. Allows upper management to bully managers. Went to HR and HR went to manager and told them who said what, therefore no trust in HR or Upper Management.

Advice to Management

See above.

Jun 30, 2016 – Talent Brand Manager

I was sorry to read your review, but thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We’re always keen to hear from our current and former employees about their experience at Philips, to ... More

Showing 192 of 2,781 reviews