Philips Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Terrible At Software"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Philips full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, interesting product domains.

Cons

The leadership of Philips believes that making software is similar to manufacturing devices. Whenever something goes wrong in the software group (or even if it doesn't) the predictable answers are to 1) fire someone 2) hire someone or 3) add a new "process"

Although I happen to have met many software quality engineers at Philips, I think management was poor at rewarding them, listening to them, and hiring them.

The worst and most troubling condition is that the leadership is not good at its essential task, which is product vision. They haven't envisioned an industry-leading product in any of the segments they're targeting. Every product is "me, too" and Philips as company is coasting on the basis of its market position as one of the few manufacturers of large hospital modalities, which long ago locked in many hospitals to its radiology information system. When the "me-too" strategy fails to enflame Philip's customers' imaginations, development is blamed. In fact, whatever the issue, development is blamed. Development is low man on the totem pole at Philips.

I wasn't going to write this review, but they did something petty and annoying after I quit. Since I quit within the first year of hire, I had to pay back my signing bonus. Which I had no problem doing. I left my mailing address and contact information with them, and was promised to receive a letter with payment instructions. But instead of sending me a normal invoice, they put me directly into collection! This impacted my FICO score. It's such a petty malice (or gross incompetence) that I've changed my mind and I'm telling the truth.

Don't work for this company if you can find better!

Advice to Management

Focus on product vision, sales and marketing, and hiring top talent. Do not focus on how engineers do their jobs. Instead, focus on the recruitment pipeline and on rewarding impact. Oh, and you're going to have to pay more. A lot more.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding company benefits.
    Great talent throughout entire organization.
    Easy to get appointments with existing and prospective customers.
    Great vision for all aspects of health from personal health to home health.

Cons

Horrible work life balance.
    Little to NO onboarding/training for new employees, expected to figure it out on your own.
    Compensation not up with going rates in job market.
    Difficult company to navigate.
    Management is out of touch with markets in some areas.
    Revolving door in Sales organization.

Advice to Management

Some business units have too many layers and employees, while other emerging business segments don't have enough employees. Too many layers throughout organization, need to flatten the number of layers.

Sep 21, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Thanks for sharing a couple of pointers of feedback. I'd like to assure you our teams also read these pages. However it might be good to discuss some of your points with your team lead, or managing... More

"Not at all a good experience - disrespectul closure and lack of follow-through on commitments"

I worked at Philips full-time

Pros

Great leadership at their Netherlands offices, not so much, locally

Cons

Massive oversights in budgeting for the necessary resources to accomplish whats necessary to meet quality milestones. Engineers in SQA are faced with having to negotiate with the project teams to get the money they need to perform APQP, CPK, Gage and audits. No money was set aside for this and the work had to be done remotely. Money was available however for exotic European and costa rica trips for the manager/director and even trips home to work near the family on holidays. My performance was rated highly by my project team and I was very proud to deliver, despite having to beg for the funds to do the work. However, when I put in my 2 week notice, to told me to leave almost immediately, and with no pay. They also didn't finish my last expense report and it went 100+ days past due, causing me over 40 hours of personal time to negotiate with AmEx and my manager. Really poor showing all the way around and an incredibly disrespectful exit, again for someone rated highly by their work teams.

Advice to Management

When adding headcounts, assure the operating budgets are increased accordingly to support the work that needs to be performed. Beware of the message you are sending people by NOT honoring a 2 week notice, and most of all be accountable to close out the credit card accounts after you cut off access to the person most affected by your unwillingness to submit expense reports. This is the first time I've experienced anything like this, and my first post to Glass Door in over 30 years of employment.

Sep 7, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi there, thanks a lot for taking the time to share your experience with us. We'd like to emphasize that the well-being of our employees is very important to us and we’re sorry that your exit from... More

"Too late to market innovative products"

I have been working at Philips full-time

Pros

Nice company, good benefits, salary.

Cons

Can't seem to get out of their own way.

Advice to Management

Streamline the management.

Aug 24, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello, it's good to hear feedback from a current employee and thanks for taking the time to share some of your experiences with us. It's much appreciated.

"Lack of Staibility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at Philips full-time

Pros

Strong benefits (Health insurance and 401(k)), nice people on the team, flexible on working from home, good bonus plans, great commissions plans, work life depends on your location and department

Cons

Constant change in Andover and throughout the company. Lack of job security and for career growth, you must be willing to relocate. Too much focus on cost reduction, and it has an impact on morale and work quality. Many people are doing the workload of two or three people; North America is viewed as a cost burden to Corporate. Focus on margin growth not cost reduction.

Advice to Management

Provide a vision and a complete plan, as most changes occur to be not well thought-out and very disorganized, stop moving people around the company not everyone is qualified to do the job they are relocated to, this creates multiple weaknesses. Do not reward people for failed projects.

Aug 24, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello, thank you for taking a moment to share some of your thoughts with us. We’re glad to hear you have a group of good people around you and the flexibility to work from home. We are a company in... More

"Bad work-life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart team and great projects

Cons

No respect for work-life balance
    Extremely frugal company in all the sens of the word - all social event always held on workers time never company time (BBQ, Team event, team lunch/dinners,...)

Also the senior leadership team is leaving the company at a very face pace in the past 2 months

Advice to Management

If you want your employee to be generous with Philips and work extra hard, Philips needs to be generous with it's employees, make them feel like they are important and above all Philips needs to be respectful of their lives

Aug 17, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi, we’re glad to hear that you’ve been working with smart colleagues and that you participated in great projects! Of course, we’re always looking for ways to improve the well-being of our employees... More

"Philips Healthcare"

Current Employee - Electronics in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Electronics in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good vacation time to start, decent benefits, decent corporate management, cutting edge medical technology.

Cons

Under average compensation. Subjective profit sharing makes for small bonuses. Bonuses often offered as catered food instead of currency. Culture is that they can hire anyone to do cutting edge technology work as long as the instructions to do the work are written well, often leads to quality issues. No matter what the training and experience level, employees are treated almost as fools.

Advice to Management

Reward your real performers with pay instead of doughnuts. Get rid of dead weight engineers botching assigned tasks. Start interviewing your manufacturing personnel instead of relying on temps. Compensate your manufacturing personnel as you want them to perform. You can't get top quality and dedication out of a worker you don't pay well. Your high turnover is because of your low compensation. Your quality issues in the US is because of your low paying subsidiaries.

Aug 3, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hello, thanks for leaving your thoughts. We're happy to hear about the decent benefits. Thanks for sharing your feedback regarding your bonuses. We're sorry to hear that this didn't meet your... More

"Account Rep"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Philips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good 401K match, pay was at or above market value.

Cons

Typical Big company office env, lots of people just hanging around for a paycheck.

Advice to Management

n/a

Aug 17, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi, we put great value in hearing from our former employees. The working environment is a very important factor to us and we're always looking for ways to improve on that. Thanks for taking the time... More

"Andover Ultrasound Supply Chain"

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineering Manager in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Test Engineering Manager in Andover, MA

I have been working at Philips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New kids are fun to work with. They don't question my authority and work long hours with pride.

Cons

Unlimited paid time off, although unlimited per co policy does not apply to us. In the supply chain area, PTO is limited to 2-6 weeks depending on one's service time. Why the descrepancy?
    Desk cleaning and inspection is mandatory. What does this really achieve and really cost?
    Employee survey answers are suggested by the directors to us so that the dept looks good and does not have to do serious deep dives.

Advice to Management

I've been reading the reviews here for several years and see a lot of comments that management reads the reviews. We haven't seen any kind of policy changes. Can you update us?

Aug 3, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

I appreciate the thoughts and concerns you shared with us in your review. Some of the allegations you make here are very concerning and certainly not in line with Philips values, policies and... More

"CI analyst"

Former Employee - CI Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - CI Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Philips full-time

Pros

Good learning environment, always changing processes

Cons

Slow to make a decision

Aug 3, 2017 – Talent Brand Manager

Hi there, great that you decided to share your thoughts here. We're glad to see that you recognised the environment we stand for. For us, this should be filled with unexpected career experiences... More

Showing 367 of 3,045 reviews