Phillips and Temro Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Thomas Moser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "An All-American sweat shop"

Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Phillips and Temro Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on where you work as an hourly employee, most of your coworkers become like family- the production staff and their supervisors are, for the most part, a truly caring group of people, and they were the reason I stayed as long as I did. The employees do more for each other than the company does.

There is often a week off in the summer holidays for the 4th of July, and one over December for Christmas. HOWEVER THEY WILL MAKE YOU USE YOUR PTO FOR THESE TIME PERIODS- take your vacation time before those holidays come up, or you will be forced into those two week-long holidays.

I worked at PTI for just under 3 years- they have come a long way in that time frame to bettering their employee engagement and appreciation activities, and at making the employees feel like a valued asset, and not just another hand pushing another button. This is largely due to a change in upper management (Butch Sumpor replaced as CEO, Tom Meline replaced as COO)

There is basically unlimited overtime- when I started working there in 2014, I was able to work 55 hours a week with 1.5x overtime pay, so if you have time to burn and a hungry wallet, its worth working here for a 3-6 months stint (Not the summer though as there is NO AC on the production floor)

Cons

Most of the supervisors are willing to work with you on legitimate life issues, but there are a few who will give you grief or downright guilt trip you if you are trying to take any actual personal time.

They LOVE to give out mandatory overtime, which is great when you like the time and a half pay, but is terrible for taking vacations and planning life events.

Front office staff have a way of looking through you- I have never seen such a segregation of roles and personalities, and despite having worked shoulder to shoulder with many of them over the last few years, the only bunch to ever acknowledge me in the hallways was the engineering and R&D teams.

They are very unforgiving in their expectations- they expect robotic perfection from every employee, and when it isnt giving, you will be made to feel the negativity. Its in the little things from word choices to body language, but there DEFINITELY is a blacklist of who is made to feel like a hero and who is not.

The stress from this job made me take an FMLA, see a pyschiatrist, and have to step down from a leadership position that I had worked my way up to.

The overall plant functions are about 20 years outdated- stop putting bandaids on everything and get some new equipment, some new organizational methods, and update your ERP methodology. Everything was pen and paper in the warehouse until late 2015, and the system that was implemented did NOT fulfill the roles it was needed for.

Advice to Management

You did the right thing by replacing Butch with Tom Moser, and by allowing Tom Meline to leave. Most of your employees feel like robots, underappreciated, and having to fight for every penny when it comes to raise time. You did the right move by having market raise increases in the previous 2 years, but most of the hourly staff felt ostracized and outcast from the front office staff- this is NOT the way the a TEAM is supposed to work. You are making the right moves to decrease your turnover rates, but I would definitely work with the supervisors more to help them help the hourly staff- we might just be pushing buttons, but we ARE STILL PEOPLE.

2. "Assembly"

I worked at Phillips and Temro Industries full-time

Pros

There are none, the work environment is hostile.

Cons

There is no respect in the work place. The Human Resource person is deceitful and speaks out both sides of her mouth, one cannot trust her. She even has the audacity to bad mouth other employees behind their backs, very unethical and unprofessional. She fails to address situations even when one states that they are uncomfortable with the verbal abuse from one particular female employee. She needs better communication skills and training for her job! The employee training is non-existent. Several people have only lasted a couple of days or even a couple of hours, that should just about sum it up. My entire short-lived employment experience was disconcerting and one that I hope I never have to repeat. The HR department needs to learn to listen. There is a reason why God gave us two ears and only one mouth, and as Teddy Roosevelt once said, "When you are walking in Hell, keep walking!" That is exactly what I was doing during my employment there.

Advice to Management

There are many areas that need improvement. To name a few: added training for the HR department, respect in the work place, team building skills, detailed job descriptions, safety meetings, more accountability for management. Listening skills, in other words, when an employee is transferred to another department, works there and requests making it permanent, is promised the change, then is denied. They fail to understand that when an employee is happy in their respective department, they will work better thus leading to more production. Tom Moser has no clue as to what is transpiring in this company. He states that the company is in transition,( for five years?) There is a lack of inventory as well as a lack of labeling the right parts for assembling the final product. I actually should be charging for my advice as I have told both my mom and dad who are retired and state that Retirement is the best job that they have ever had! They have even more to say about the company. My dad is a Journeyman Machinist and my mom taught Front Office, Receptionist and Communication skills. They have even more ideas to transform this company but I am afraid that it would fall of deaf ears, even though they have two ears and one mouth!

3. "Not a good place to work"

I worked at Phillips and Temro Industries full-time

Pros

Use as a stepping stone.

Cons

The former CEO and direct reports are arrogant.

Advice to Management

Quit and give your jobs to someone else.

4. "Good coworkers, terrible management"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Phillips and Temro Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were generally nice
    Most PPE is provided

Cons

CEO is a tyrant
    Expected everyone to drop everything in their lives to work 16 hour shifts, 7 days a week after being on 12 hour shifts 6 days a week for close to a year, making no exceptions for school, child care or elder care.

Advice to Management

Reassess your work lives. You are absolute terrible people to work for.

5. "Only if you're desperate"

Former Employee - Office in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Office in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Phillips and Temro Industries full-time

Pros

You get a paid every two weeks. Annual raises were still given during declining business conditions. I worked with some great people there. Benefits have improved over the past two years.

Cons

Toxic work environment and corporate culture. Demanding management that can't be bothered with the facts or background on an issue before forming opinions and making decisions.

Bonus plans are a joke- don't plan on ever getting one. Health care plans are very expensive. Limited opportunity for advancement. Most employees fantasize about leaving PTI and working for a real company.

Customers are often demanding, unreasonable, and rude. Demand for products is in a long-term decline that is very unlikely to change. Sales targets are missed month after month and there doesn't appear to be a bottom.

Advice to Management

Start over with a new management team- this one can't be fixed.

6. "Dishonest, Poor work envirnment"

Pros

Not much, can't even count on your check.

Cons

Do not hire into this company without a recruiter. This company does not pay what you are worth, promises bones that never come. Demoralizing working conditions. Staff in MN have no clue of what they are doing, pass the buck. Their idea of a bones was a bag of groceries.

Advice to Management

Need to hire QUALITY people or fold.

7. "Accounts Payable Specialist"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Phillips and Temro Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really great people at PTI. However, they get lost in the mix.

Cons

Poor Attitudes. Inconsistent policies. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your people. They do have good ideas on how to turn this company around. If you won't listen, you are part of the problem.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Phillips and Temro Industries (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company meant upper management was readily available even to an intern. I was given several meaningful projects and very little busy work. Projects given to me were related to my interests and I was allowed to work on projects that were most interesting to me, given a list of several to choose from - definitely worth spending the summer there.

Cons

I'm having trouble thinking of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive attitude. Management this year was nothing like most of the negative reviews from several years ago.

9. "Stable and Profitable"

I have been working at Phillips and Temro Industries full-time

Pros

PTI is a multifaceted, challenging,manufacturing environment. My direct manager is a pleasure to work for and over all, colleagues are focused and seem to like our current environment. The company is stable, profitable and loyal to committed hard working employees. I receive reviews on time and have always received a raise.

Cons

PTI experienced some turn over in the past but the "feel" of the company has become more relaxed with the new CEO.

Advice to Management

With new product, new investments and more shared goals/objective with all employees it appears that Management is already listening to its employees advise.

10. "Positive change is happening!"

Pros

Recent changes in management have resulted in a drive to improve the culture and overall employee moral. The people that work here are helpful and friendly; they are building an environment of teamwork.
    Busy season is in winter, summers are lighter and allow more time off with family.
    Pay scale is competitive.

Cons

Automotive supplier so expectations from customers are demanding.