KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Philz Coffee CEO Mahesh Sadarangani
Mahesh Sadarangani

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Philz Coffee and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year
    Featured Review

Favorite company to work with

Dec 6, 2021 - Barista in La Jolla, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great community and diverse culture to work with. I always felt accepted as an Asian American and loved how inclusive the brand and company is.

Cons

Long hours on weekends and busy shifts.

2. 5.0

Review of Philz Coffee

Sep 21, 2022 - Cashier/Barista
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, wonderful staff, good pay and benefits, work around worker's schedule

Cons

Understaffing issues, customer complaints with pricing

3. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great training but disorganized management

Sep 22, 2022 - Barista
    Business Outlook

Pros

The training program is great and team cultures are really fun + the free coffee, of course

Cons

Management was very disorganized. No one really seemed to know what was going on and team management changes aren't clearly communicated to the team.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lofty cultural promises led to unsustainable business

Sep 8, 2022 - Team Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. They go out of their way to hire great people. 2. The product is fantastic. 3. The "Be Yourself" felt true to me -- I could wear what I wanted, put on my own playlists at work, and generally have a good time. 4. I'm still friends with many of my co-workers.

Cons

1. Sometimes great people means "nice" -- and can sometimes lead to being taken advantage of. 2. Depending on the store leader, the high service standard can quickly lead to overworking you. 3. It's the most heart-breaking thing to witness the "great people" you hire visibly deteriorate due to exhaustion and overwork.

5. 5.0

Philz Review

Sep 20, 2022 - Cashier/Barista
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun job atmosphere and some creativity room

Cons

Occasionally the scheduling is not the best and you will get very busy with only 1 barista.

6. 4.0

Great Team Culture

Sep 19, 2022 - Customer Service, Barista/Coffee Maker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Treat team culture and friendly people

Cons

Depending on the location, especially in larger cities, the customer is always right brings in some very upset people

7. 3.0

Not what it used to be

Aug 30, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free food and drinks, nice people depending on where you work. Tips average 4.5-7/hour

Cons

Will burn you out for minimum wage. High turnover rate on all levels. They got rid of the $0.50 raise every six months which lowers incentive to stay here longer

8. 5.0

great

Sep 13, 2022 - Barista in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

great people and a great environment.

Cons

pushy customers, often times understaffed

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Depends

Aug 18, 2022 - Barista in Long Beach, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is slightly above average for a coffee shop, and you meet a lot of people. If you're in school, or you're lonely, go for it.

Cons

There's not much communication between levels. Upper management likes to pretend there is, but nah, not really. That can be annoying to a lot of people for a lot of reasons, but I don't really care.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 2.0

worst manager ever

Sep 19, 2022 - Barista
    Business Outlook

Pros

free coffee, cool coworkers, free lunch and end of day pastries, tips

Cons

terrible management, customer service, understaffed

Viewing 1 - 10 of 428 Reviews

Philz Coffee Reviews FAQs

Philz Coffee has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 431 reviews left anonymously by employees. 67% of employees would recommend working at Philz Coffee to a friend and 55% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Philz Coffee employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Philz Coffee. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

67% of Philz Coffee employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Philz Coffee 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Philz Coffee to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Philz Coffee Job Seekers