Phoenix Children's Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Douglas MacKay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A wonderful Experiance!!"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Phoenix Children's for close to five years, and in that time have had some wonderful and meaning ful experiances. I have had the privileage of not just working as a teacher for the company but also advancing to mangament by having taken their leadership training program. The company offers a chance for advancement within the Cadence company and will train and advance their employees. I have had the honor of working for two great schools and am proud to be a part of the team that i am currently in. I have learned so much and am very happy working at the Gibert location. It feels like my second home, and the staff and my managment team have been not just supportive but the key to my success here at Phoenix Children's Academy. I plan to continue on my journey of continued advancment within the company. I am grateful for my job and for all the people that have helped me get here. Work is what you make it. Go in with a smile and make the day great! Thats what we do here .

Cons

I have experianced no cons

Advice to Management

Keep Smiling :)

2. "I loved working here"

Former Employee - Floater (2's) in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Floater (2's) in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time

Pros

I absolutely loved working for Phoenix Children's Academy (the Lindsey site in Gilbert, Arizona). The directors are phenomenal and truly care about the center, staff, and well being of the children. I always felt welcomed and was excited to start work every morning. Id highly recommend working for this company!

Cons

I did not experience any cons when working here.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work! The industry is tough to work in, but working for a company that is more like a family makes it worth it for me. The company is always looking for new ideas to make it better and truly cares about the families and children

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Continue to keep a focus on training

4. "With New Management - Highly Recommend!!!"

Current Employee - Teacher in Flower Mound, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Flower Mound, TX

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time

Pros

Love the new management. Brittany and Ellen really care about their staff. They make sure teachers are well trained and have their supplies to complete their curriculum. They are constantly walking the hallways, so that teachers have what they need are in ratio. Brittany and Ellen know their parents and kids by name and have an open door policy and MEAN IT!

Cons

long hours and split shifts

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. There has been such a change in the atmosphere the last 3 months. Spirits are generally high and the teachers are happy to come to work.

"More cons than pros"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Cypress, TX

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the families were great to work with, most of the kids are great. I felt very connected to the staff, it was a good family environment.

Cons

I worked there for one short year for good reason. They refuse to raise your pay if you are an assistant and become a lead teacher. When they do give raises, which is as rare as Jesus making an appearance, it can be as low as 10 cents an hour, which to me is a slap in the face. When there are children who are a threat to other kids, they do not take it seriously. I had lots of trouble getting the front to phone parents when their children were running high fevers in the classroom. They like to say they have a structured building, but they let certain parents walk all over them, so teachers are forced to give special treatment to particular children out of fear that the parents will take unnessecary action. Just a skim off the top of my cons list.

Advice to Management

Treat the teachers with respect. Teachers are told they are always replaceable, but those children need consistency, and the parents don't enjoy seeing new teachers in the classrooms every month. We are replaceable of course but wouldn't it be better to be kind to your staff and keep teachers around longer? Just my opinion.

"Mistreating Teachers and Horrible Management at Fort Mill Location"

Former Employee - Substitute in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Substitute in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really not pros unless you like drama and working for a director that has no backbone or ambition. Kids are great and that's about it.

Cons

Teachers specifically in the two year old rooms are very harsh and forceful to the children. I witnessed a little boy being screamed at in his face and forcefully being placed into a time-out chair ( which Phoenix is known for not using ). The issue was addressed to the director and it was swept under the rug and the blame was put on her co-teacher. Later that day I was accused of something I had no part in, basically just to mask the face that they have an abusive teacher working in one of their classroom.
    The issue this this teacher was never addressed and I have a feeling it will not be. Therefore I resigned and will be calling their corporate office.

Advice to Management

This center needs new management all together before it crashes and burns right before their eyes.

"Great home office Support team. RVP's were a mess"

Current Employee - School Director in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - School Director in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my teachers and my students. I took on a school in horrible shape and faced winter flooding of 60% of my building,sewer backups,previous employees who loved to call licensing and through it all my core group of teachers and the children and families who hugged me every morning made it worth the 13 hour days.

I had a phenomenal experience with the Labor team,tech and most of all Ops support Sarah and Belinda need to be cloned and placed in charge of the asylum. They provided honest feedback and most of all concrete solutions to issues when asked for help.

Cons

Working with my 4 or 5 RVP's over a year was like working with the Bad News Bears. I could not get a solid answer from them and concerns were brushed over. More time was spent by them on the phone with other schools during a visit then they ever spent in the room with me or my team.

Imagine feeling forced to remove your own child"based upon the needs of the students." Then working 12-14 hours a day each and every day. All the while asking for help to solve the staffing issues.

Problem teachers were allowed to "do the things they do." "You are short staffed and you need to let them be in charge for now." Teachers who went to parents with everything in the building were allowed free reign.

No ability to discipline or terminate your own employees. Yet, it all came down to being your fault at the end of the day.

Letters given to the RVP about teachers who caused issues were ignored. Asking for help with said teachers, yielded. " They have a lot of families who love them. "

When asked about receiving compensation back for having to remove my child the emails went unanswered and was told to call the RVP. We would never ever want a paper trail.

Advice to Management

They have some great people in leadership who rely on their RVP's. Spend more time truly learning about the schools rather than coming in when there is finally a crisis.

Listen and provide concrete feedback with solutions when a director asks for help.

I will never forget the impact I made on a school that lost my baby on her first day. One year later,children are well educated, supervised and receive healthy meals.

The teachers still rule the school. Parents continue to be fed gossip and the home office allows it to occur in order to fill slots or maybe to keep the peace. Either way it makes it impossible for a director to complete all tasks in a given day.

I will not miss being yelled at by teachers in the front office,working 12-14 hours straight each day, or being ignored and told it is all because of staff shortages. Children NEED to be the focus not the DOLLAR.

"Working with Down Syndrome Child"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy people and I love the kids

Cons

You just have to be a people person

Advice to Management

Listen to ideas that your staff have

"Got the job, started and could not return after lunch because so disturbing."

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Building has great potential for a properly run daycare.

Cons

I was ushered into a room with a teacher that is normally not with the kids in order for her to train me. Show me the ropes. Well, unfortunately the first thing she said to me was that this room drives her crazy and she has no idea what to do. I, being the take charge person that I am, tried to lead the classroom in songs, reading, coloring exercises. Then it comes time to go outside and play on the playground. These were 3 and 4 year olds, but mostly 3. The playground equipment was sitting on an acre of land with chain link fence. The kicker is there was a retention ditch right smack dab in the middle of the yard with full sized tires in it. Mind you, it just rained a few days and we are in Denton County were WEST NILE is spreading. Sitting water in tires!!!! So, the children are able to go down into this ditch with wire over the culvert to keep them out of the pipe. So, I see the kids start rolling these tires down the hill. DANGEROUS!!!!
    The place was dirty and there was not an attempt to clean the tables or anything after snack. Now we come to the issue of ratio.....We had just got our 15 kids down on the mats to sleep when in walks four afterschoolers. okay! They are told to pat backs. Well turns out they just disrupt the sleeping kids. Then, not even 10 minutes later, in walks 13 more kids that are 5. They are told to find a spot to lie down. Mind you, they have no mats and the floor is already covered with kids. So,the teacher says she is going to lunch and does not give any roster. They then have me leave for lunch. ONE person left with ALL the kids. AGES 2-11. CRAZY!!!! I was going to take my children with me!! Heck no!!

Advice to Management

Please make some major changes

"A scary place to be a teacher"

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Roseville, CA

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their use of zoo phonics is effective, and the one year olds were able to memorize most of the letter sounds.

Cons

Bad classroom design, Mean co-teachers (Yelled at children), all artwork was teacher directed, the children were never allowed to create art on their own. Very limited outside time, and teachers would take the group inside early because they were cold, even when the children were having a good time, no curriculum planning or prep time. All teachers are on "equal status" and the current teachers were not open to new ideas or in improving the quality of their care.

Advice to Management

Fire the current teachers, revamp your teaching philosophy