Phoenix House Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

New York, NY

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Howard P. Meitiner

Pros
  • Help in the mission of the organization and helping people overcome their addictions (in 6 reviews)

• Being in a non-profit enivronment is awesome (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no training with great expectations for no pay (in 4 reviews)

• unhealthy work environment, don't value employers, low pay (in 6 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time

Pros

Very hard working leadership and dedicated staff

Cons

Alot of difficulty keeping up with a changing healthcare environment

Advice to Management

Invest in good supervisors to execute the strategy

2. "Stay away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are basically no pros of working here

Cons

Greedy, terrible pay, no services for clients disgusting facilities run down.

Benefits are a joke bc a lot staff can't afford their share of benefits bc they are paid so little. Can I give 0 stars?

Advice to Management

U had the chance to grow and change and you are blowing it.

"It is taking a nose dive"

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of clinical practice with clients. They offered a lot of trainings for staff.

Cons

-The pay was not competitive nor was it fair.
    -Very poor communication
    -Staff morale was so low!
    -The Organization has been under investigation so many times and very little was communicated to the staff. This left people feeling insecure about their jobs.

Advice to Management

Communicate, train you directors, give HR a big makeover. It should not be taking so long for staff to be brought on.

"Learning experience"

Former Employee - Program Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Director in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clinical training and sophisticated EHR systems. Progressive views on medication assisted therapy and treatment of co-occurring disorders. Managers are not micro managed. Steps have been taken to move in the right direction after some tough times.

Cons

Difficult environment to build morale as there are significant challenges impacting employees. Private insurance initiative was not funded on the ground level and impacted the performance of clinical staff who were overwhelmed with UR's. Staff retention improved and then nose dived after recent layoffs.

Advice to Management

Program directors need more consistent supervision and tools to improve team building/morale.

6. "Disorganized mess"

Former Intern - Human Resources Information Systems in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Human Resources Information Systems in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Its conveniently close to the F train and there are nice food options in the area

Cons

-Management seemed surprised the first day I showed up to work (as though they had forgotten they hired an intern).
    -I was set at a computer and told to do training until further notice, much of the training I did was irrelevant to my duties
    -Manager took weeks to grant me access to data required to perform my tasks

"####"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

good staff, hard working - enthusiastic

Cons

to many promises not kept

Advice to Management

???

"Strong Mission, Bad Management Across The Board"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Phoenix House full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many training oppourtunities available to staff, this is very strong. Salaries are very low, no matter how much they say they are competative, they are not, especially with the workloads and stress put on staff.

Cons

Minimal appreciation, no cost of living increases 8 years+, but there are always senior vp & executive vp's bonuses and salary increases in that area.

Advice to Management

Most department heads, supervisors have very bad people skills, unable to manage staff or handle their own workloads.

"It was a learning experience in culture and race relations"

Former Employee - Support Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Support Services in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PH had some great coworkers. Some people that I became great friends with. It is a good 'starter' job for those new to employment or Social work field.

Cons

The pay is terrible..absolutely terrible. Upper directorship and management makes sure that they get lucrative salaries...but the worker bees are paid lower than most places in the same field. Upper management is very demanding. It was a job that made me ask myself everyday...'Why am I still doing this?..Why am I still here?

Advice to Management

In all honesty Phoenix House is run by a group of people (upper westsiders &suburban long Islanders) making decisions for a group of people they would never ever meet or interact outside of the job. The Upper directorship is too close and basically in bed with each other. HR Heads are friends with Senior Directors and will give each other raises while workers have not seen a raise in years. They will always tell workers that you should just be happy to have a job while they are allowed to have a job and a fat raises.
    The place reeks of economic social injustice...feels almost racist. I felt like they felt anyone who was a minority at that job had to be a past drug addict.
    This place is not past laying off 6 people with families who make $28,000 per year to hire another Senior Director (Friend) that makes $220,000 per year..They have done numerous times.

"In a word - Dysfunctional !"

Current Employee - Not Telling in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Not Telling in New York, NY

I have been working at Phoenix House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the clients really do want to overcome addiction, but most are there just because they got caught and are mandated by the criminal justice system

Cons

The management is dysfunctional. Most are dry-drunks/addicts who carry the same dysfunctional behaviors into the workplace. Senior management has no clue what goes on in the programs. Clients are having sex with clients, Staff are having sex with staff AND clients, people stealing company property and do the minimum to "keep under the radar"...

Advice to Management

GET A CLUE

"Terrible for employees, worse for clients"

Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm racking my brain trying to think about a single "pro" for working at Phoenix House. The best I can come up with is that the commute wasn't terrible.

Cons

I almost don't know where to start. Probably the worst part of working for PH was their HR department - to call them incompetent would be an understatement. On several occasions, they screwed up my health insurance so badly that I would be at the doctor's office (in the wake of a major injury) only to find out that HR had inadvertently "cancelled" my insurance, leaving me to foot the bill and clean up the mess, which often took weeks. On one occasion, I was left without critical medication on a Friday evening, and had to borrow cash from a co-worker to pay retail for my prescription. On another occasion, when a different co-worker complained that her checks weren't reflecting her accurate salary, HR told her, "you don't have a contract, we can pay you whatever we want."

As awful as PH was to its employees, it seemed to be even worse for clients. PH pays lots of lip service to caring for the indigent, but at the end of the day, they give preferential treatment to self-pay clients, who they get in and out of their system as fast as possible in order increase their bottom line. From where I sat, it seemed like clients were seen as nothing but dollar signs. I would never recommend them to a loved one in need of care.

Finally, in the entire 2 years of working there, I never saw a single pay increase, not even a cost of living increase which is standard pretty much everywhere.

Advice to Management

You could start by being more respectful to your employees. On more than one occasion, I witnessed the CEO making insulting comments (sometimes even racist) about employees who were sitting 2 feet away from him. I'm frankly surprised that I lasted as long as I did, but I'm very happy to be rid of this organization and chalking it up to a bad life-choice.