Phoenix Suns Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Sarver

1. "PHX Suns"

Current Employee - Account in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Phoenix Suns full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job to begin career.

Cons

Work long weeks with many events throughout the year.

2. "Looking forward to long tenure here"

I have been working at Phoenix Suns full-time

Pros

Awesome perks with the job from sports to concert options! Very energized group of people working here. There is a lot of pride in the team.
    President sends communication to the organization to keep employees in the loop. Great community service opportunities.

Cons

The wait on the 401k is entirely too long and does not make sense. I hope they reevaluate this practice soon.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and think about more work/life balance in all areas. Need to work more on integrating senior management into employee functions and everyday life.

"Please read the reviews- and don't do it!!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

You build great relationships with your colleagues- because they are the only ones that understand what it's really like to work for a professional sports team.

Cons

A lot of hours, minimal pay, and absolutely zero work life balance. Plan on being in the office for 40+ hours a week (btw- calling hours are 7am to 7pm) and then working games and events on top of that. Don't worry, they pay "overtime", but the hourly rate is such a joke that even the overtime rate feels like a slap in the face. Leadership team does not value/respect employees. Everyone is replaceable. They sell you on "room for growth" when in reality, the only people that ever get promoted are the kids that survive a year on the new business team. It is definitely the "good ol' boys" club. They preach "culture" but don't seem to understand that in order to improve culture, you actually have to care about and take care of your employees.

"Professional development" is "trainings" outside of business hours, and if you don't attend, expect to have your manager call you in to their office to tell you that they noticed you weren't there. The "trainings" are regurgitated material from last month's training and presented by a different member of the leadership team. There isn't ever anything new, innovative, or inspiring.

They take micromanaging to an extreme. Leadership provides a weekly focus document that tells you exactly what you should be doing every hour of the week. You will be scored on activity metrics- how many calls you make, how long you spend on a call, how many appointments you go on, etc.- not if you're actually helping clients and being an overall good person.

The Leadership Team tries to promote a "family" mentality, but it is all fake. Don't trust any of them. The people you can trust don't stay around long enough because they realize how terrible of a place it is to work.

This certainly isn't a place that empowers women or puts women in leadership roles. I witnessed women make recommendations and have a manager roll their eyes or straight up turn around and walk away.

The only reason I stayed as long as I did was to get paid on my commission- that's right, if you sell something for the following season, don't expect to get paid until the end of the fiscal year. And if you leave before commission payouts, you are SOL.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and they will feel more loyal to the organization.

"Poor Leadership"

I worked at Phoenix Suns full-time

Pros

Great team members - strong support staff.

Cons

Lack of support from leadership, unclear expectations, lack of cohesion from leadership, shady business practices and hidden agendas.

Advice to Management

Set clear expectations for employees, provide support in reaching goals, and leaders should work together to send a clear message to employees on work that is expected. Don't support bad behavior, even from someone in a leadership role. Invest in the good team members that are already part if the organization.

"You are replaceable"

Former Employee - Partnership Activation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Partnership Activation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Phoenix Suns full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's pretty exciting to say you work for the Suns. Games are really amazing and I loved watching the fans have such a great time. Relationships I made were lasting ones.

Cons

Worst work life balance ever. 40+ hours of the "day job." Additional 10 hours with offsite events. Expectation to be at every game. You are just a number and completely replaceable. They don't care about you, they care about their own paycheck. Incredibly political across the board. Worst company I've ever worked for. Couldn't get out fast enough.

Advice to Management

Ha! Like they will listen. They are a product of the industry.

"All The Wrong Things"

I worked at Phoenix Suns full-time

Pros

Free tickets to use for friends and family to all Suns, Mercury, and Rattlers games
    You work with some really cool people that become friends outside of the office

Cons

Micromanagement - The management team will be on your back at all times. Have received countless messages asking where I am when I am out on a meeting or in the bathroom as they do not trust you to do your job. Also, they are all work and no play. If you are talking with a colleague for 30 seconds a manager will walk over and ask why you are not making calls. We work in sports so it should be fun, stop running the company like a bank. Turnover is absolutely awful here, I became one of the most senior people within a year of working here.

Politics - The entire office is run like House of Cards. Management will only promote and give support to those they like and will throw you under the bus if it helps advance their career. There have been countless times where my job was threatened or I was talked down to about something that was their fault. They think that by you fearing for your job, you will be more motivated to work hard.

Progress - I have been stunned over my time with the Suns on how much they promise change and how little things improved. I stuck around longer than I was planning to due to see if they really would improve for the better. Once i realized that there was no such thing as change with this company, I decided it was time to move on. What company asks for feedback to improve, but then takes that information and throws it away? They are not open to changing their methods and in result they will consistently lose their top representatives.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your team and put forth some of the recommendations they make not just for a month, but permanently.

Show more appreciation for your employees, they could work shorter hours for more money elsewhere so it would be nice if they were shown the love every once in a while.

"Not just the Suns"

Former Employee - Phoenix Suns Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Phoenix Suns Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Phoenix Suns full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tickets to use how you want and being able to talk about basketball all day. Great co-workers that go thru the same struggles as you. The game experience of working an NBA game.

Cons

The work life balance was the worst you can ask for. With any other sports team it's understandable working all season. But with the Suns, there is no off-season. You have the Mercury and Rattlers as well, with that it makes it hard to focus on a specific area. Also, if you didn't work past your normal hours or as they call it from "7-7", your not working hard enough. This job requires a lot more politics then your numbers.

Advice to Management

Take a genuine interest in the development of your people. Cut back on the prospect events, etc..

"Do not trust this process"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Phoenix Suns full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will meet some really great people that are full of life in the beginning. Young, fun, environment.

Cons

The people that were once full of life, have no life in them once it is a few months in. Unnecessary hours worked for little pay. When you leave a room, you are 100% getting talked badly about from your peers or management.

"People are great, but management is not good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Phoenix Suns full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun events, good seats to games, fun people to work with

Cons

Lower pay and a lot of work. Don't expect to go up the ladder even if you have the talent, skills and discipline. It gets taken for granted most of the time.

Advice to Management

Truly listen to your employees. Investigate who's doing what. Value good work and recognize it.

11. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Phoenix Suns full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was very on top of sales training and career growth, which helped provide motivation to go to work every day

Cons

There was a culture of sales reps pitted against each other, favoritism played consistently and little to zero work life balance. The turnover was almost 100% in my time there which makes it difficult to feel job security

Advice to Management

Work to provide a better culture and environment conducive to selling as a means to avoid high turnover rates