Photogenic Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Steve Craig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, people are cranky because they don't want their picture taken (in 6 reviews)

• As an upper management level employee I had my job threatened several times due to noncompliance of my employees (in 6 reviews)

1. "Photogenic"

Former Employee - Team Leader in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Photogenic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, working as a team, gives you great photography experience, meet new people, one of my favorite jobs I've had

Cons

Being outside in any weather, flaky coworkers and high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Find employees that understand what is expected of them

2. "Easy work, poor management"

Former Employee - Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic part-time

Pros

Fasted paced work, fun environment

Cons

Poor management, ineffective systems for covering shifts

Advice to Management

Have more respect for your emplyees

3. "What's it like working at The Willis Tower/Skydeck"

I have been working at Photogenic part-time

Pros

-Get to have passes to other venues in Chicago like the Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and Navy Pier.
    -Get more experience with customer service.
    -Learn a little more about how to adjust a camera or photo to please customers.
    -Get 10%-15 discount at the gift shops.
    -Learn how to multitask more efficiently.
    -Sometimes the manager or supervisor working a night shift on a busy evening will buy pizza or other food for the staff members.

Cons

-Be prepared to meet rude people from all over the world.
    -There's not enough space to help every customer.
    -Most of the time we're understaffed.
    -You will never get off on time if you have a shift on a weekend.
    -When we're understaffed you don't get your full 30min break. You are given 15min Instead on busy days.
    -They expect you to work no matter what condition you are in whether you're sick or severely ill.

Advice to Management

They should schedule more people to help out throughout the weekend. When I applied for this job I was told everyone is needed to work on weekends and holidays.

4. "Photographer"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Photogenic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free zoo membership. Maybe some customer service expirience...

Cons

WORST MANAGEMENT EVER!! This place doesn't even give you your breaks. Emailed HR and called about the poor working conditions I was told that I wasn't telling the truth. HR acted like it was the biggest hassle to get some cold water to the photographers working in the middle of a Phoenix, AZ Summer. Oh yeah and they still haven't provided water.. I guess they still think I'm lying. The current supervisor for Phoenix spys on you, ignores you and is not good at communicating. She randomly would take shifts away from people using it as a punishment. In fact she fired me and I had to call HR located in Chicago to find out... my supervisor didn't even bother to tell me. The week before "letting me go" she cut my hours as a punishment for throwing my back out and not being able to walk, much less stand for 4 hours in 115 degree weather. The pay is terrible and there is no opportunity for growth. The people in charge aka your bosses are super incompetent they don't care about their employees. They make you call a random person named Brittany who lives thousands of miles away to tell her that you're sick or whatever if Brittany is busy or doesn't have service or just doesn't answer they blame you. Your entire employment future with this company depends on a random girl thousands of miles away who has only answered her phone once for me. I never went to an orientation, never was anything explained to me, they didn't even give me a copy of the handbook. Do yourself a favor and do not work for this company. It's probably the worst management I've ever had and everyone is miserable because we deal with incompetent people and make no money doing it.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!! Every review you have here is bad... wake up!! People want to work for you for more than just a few months.. give them a reason to. Also give people their breaks and water I mean jeeze. Maybe try caring about your employees I hear it does wonders for retention and productivity.

5. "Great experience!"

I worked at Photogenic full-time

Pros

Great opportunity! The experience I gained from recruiting is something I will always be thankful for. Staff in HQ is small but friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Pay could have been better, no annual reviews for bonus/higher pay opportunities

6. "Don't work here"

I worked at Photogenic full-time

Pros

You can learn a little about camera.

Cons

They got the worst management .

7. "I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Photogenic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free admission to the zoo every day. If you're lucky, some of the photographers can teach you some great skills. It pushes you a little out of your comfort zone.
    You get to photograph a lot of great people and document a memory in their lives.

Cons

The cons outweigh the pros. The equipment can be pretty heavy and you are rotated from site to site, where you may stand in the same place for several hours. If standing for long periods of time are uncomfortable, this may not be a good place to work.

Lots and LOTS of favoritism: Many times, if the lead or manager didn't like you, you couldn't even get someone to cover your bathroom break. Drinking buddies are promoted to lead, hard working photographers aren't and raises are based on whether the manager likes you, not based on your sales or job performance. We won a sales contest and all of the photographers were supposed to receive a gift visa card. When the cards arrived, two of the photographers had already left the job, a man and a woman. The manager decided to give both of the cards to the woman that left (a friend of hers outside of work) and not the man.

We also would find the manager spying on us? I was at the main desk editing photos and I saw her peeking at us from behind a marble column. At the time I was working there, several of us made complaints to the district managers in Illinois, but we were ignored. When she was having a bad day, she would hide in the office and get upset and literally pout if you needed her.

Although Photogenic advertises themselves as a place that celebrates diversity and an open door policy, such is not the case. The manager made "Tinkerbell" gestures when she thought one employee was gay and several of the leads would make derogatory statements against African American customers. All of these incidents were reported, all of the emails were ignored.

Advice to Management

This is for the district managers: Unless a high turnover is irrelevant, please listen to the feedback given by the photographers.

Offer an Employee Assistance Program for full time employees like the management and the leads. As much as I didn't like working with the manager, I really do think she needs some help. In the beginning of the season, she was nice. By the time June rolled around, she was a nightmare.

8. "Associate/Photographer- Irish J1 student"

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The majority of your co-workers are friendly and fun . Easy work.
    Nice to work outside (Navy Pier).
    You're not under a lot of pressure- Laid back environment.

Cons

People don't want their photo taken and are rude to you. The breaks are minimal. It also gets very busy during the summer months. It can be quite overwhelming at times.

9. "I would not recommend a dead dog to work for Photogenic Inc"

I worked at Photogenic part-time

Pros

I will say I have met life long friends here. However, this place is by far the worst companies I have worked for! The only take away I have for this organization is that it provided me with insight on what I should not put up with from any employers going forward. This was one of those jobs I had fresh out of high school and was totally dependent on a paycheck (no matter how small) for survival and I took a lot of disrespect from middle/upper management.

Cons

It's no need to go in on the hounding people for pictures,short hours, giving away hours or strong arm selling because I'm pretty sure you have read about 70 reviews on that alone. I'll just spend my time going in on the management culture. Once certain people became middle/upper management it was if they developed a God-like complex were they felt the need to talk down on employees and threaten their jobs any chance given. It was as if they were told that they cant associate with their employees under any circumstances without being a pain or they may face demotion. Once I witness my manager being chewed out by our GM at the time for congratulating her on an accomplishment. Now when most people give you a compliment the appropriate response is to say Thank You, no this lady pulled my manager to the side and told her loud enough for us low level employees to hear "don't discuss my private affairs with these peoples"and walked off like she was trash. This is the same GM who randomly told another co-worker of mines that her shoes cost more than his entire outfit because she was mad at personal issue in her life. Those who've worked at PGI in the last 5 years knows what's up with that GM and to this day I still wonder how she got the money for those expensive shoes...hmmmmm? Whatever the case, if you do decide to take a job with this company DOCUMENT EVERYTHING and REPORT IT TO THE EEO.

Advice to Management

Just as many monthly quarterly meetings you love to have with your team members reminding them on the basic principles of P cube. You should also have just as many meetings with your middle management team on business etiquette and team building.Maybe even implement an open-door policy where low level team members can contact Steve Craig or other members of hr without fear of retaliation. But that sounds too much like right huh? Technology and Social Media are advancing each day and your main demographic of employees are fresh out of high school/college aged kids how about using their skills in those realms as well. Did you ever find out how did that GM get those expensive shoes?

10. "Dont work here"

I have been working at Photogenic part-time

Pros

Easy job, good chance to learn customer service.

Cons

Too may unnecessary rules and policies. Very unfair treatment from management.