Photogenic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Steve Craig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Day shift, meet new people, work with younger crowd (in 5 reviews)

• It's a great environment to work in, definitely can be a fun summer job (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, high stress, underappreciated, overworked, terrible management, cranky guests, work uniforms are terrible, extremely high turnover rate (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, people are cranky because they don't want their picture taken (in 7 reviews)

1. "great job for being in school"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the manager was pretty flexible with my class schedule and my coworkers were nice

Cons

customer service jobs are always annoying....

2. "Associate"

I have been working at Photogenic part-time

Pros

flexible schedule good for students

Cons

Low hours not ideal for long term

3. "Meh"

Former Employee - Photo Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Photo Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic part-time

Pros

Free access to the (I worked a sea dog only) ships, and the museum (science and industry). Every once in a while employees received free lunch. Meet new people. Good job if you are home from college and need a summer job

Cons

If you work at Navy Pier, you are standing their rain or shine. It was very annoying. The staff was very cliquey, very high school ish. When I worked at the museum, it was cool.

4. "Photogenic"

Former Employee - Team Leader in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Photogenic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, working as a team, gives you great photography experience, meet new people, one of my favorite jobs I've had

Cons

Being outside in any weather, flaky coworkers and high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Find employees that understand what is expected of them

5. "Easy work, poor management"

Former Employee - Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Photographer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic part-time

Pros

Fasted paced work, fun environment

Cons

Poor management, ineffective systems for covering shifts

Advice to Management

Have more respect for your emplyees

6. "Sales Photographer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Photogenic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros here.

Cons

Working outside 365 days of the year; no matter rain, sleet, snow or heat wave. Terrible pay with not much room for advancement.

7. "Interesting Job, Bad Management, Backstabbing Coworkers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Boston, MA

I worked at Photogenic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn how to deal with customers in a face pace environment. You get to work in fun tourist places around the city and get to take photographs to make everyone smile.

Cons

The management only care about sales, not about customers. They hire all kinds of people and then fire them later after finding out they been stealing from the company. I witnessed management firing five to seven new employees due to either thief or bad customer service.

Advice to Management

Hire people that you know are going to be faithful to the company and won't disrespect what Photogenic is all about. Also start drug testing new potential hires and do background checks.

8. "What's it like working at The Willis Tower/Skydeck"

I have been working at Photogenic part-time

Pros

-Get to have passes to other venues in Chicago like the Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and Navy Pier.
    -Get more experience with customer service.
    -Learn a little more about how to adjust a camera or photo to please customers.
    -Get 10%-15 discount at the gift shops.
    -Learn how to multitask more efficiently.
    -Sometimes the manager or supervisor working a night shift on a busy evening will buy pizza or other food for the staff members.

Cons

-Be prepared to meet rude people from all over the world.
    -There's not enough space to help every customer.
    -Most of the time we're understaffed.
    -You will never get off on time if you have a shift on a weekend.
    -When we're understaffed you don't get your full 30min break. You are given 15min Instead on busy days.
    -They expect you to work no matter what condition you are in whether you're sick or severely ill.

Advice to Management

They should schedule more people to help out throughout the weekend. When I applied for this job I was told everyone is needed to work on weekends and holidays.

9. "Photographer"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Photogenic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free zoo membership. Maybe some customer service expirience...

Cons

WORST MANAGEMENT EVER!! This place doesn't even give you your breaks. Emailed HR and called about the poor working conditions I was told that I wasn't telling the truth. HR acted like it was the biggest hassle to get some cold water to the photographers working in the middle of a Phoenix, AZ Summer. Oh yeah and they still haven't provided water.. I guess they still think I'm lying. The current supervisor for Phoenix spys on you, ignores you and is not good at communicating. She randomly would take shifts away from people using it as a punishment. In fact she fired me and I had to call HR located in Chicago to find out... my supervisor didn't even bother to tell me. The week before "letting me go" she cut my hours as a punishment for throwing my back out and not being able to walk, much less stand for 4 hours in 115 degree weather. The pay is terrible and there is no opportunity for growth. The people in charge aka your bosses are super incompetent they don't care about their employees. They make you call a random person named Brittany who lives thousands of miles away to tell her that you're sick or whatever if Brittany is busy or doesn't have service or just doesn't answer they blame you. Your entire employment future with this company depends on a random girl thousands of miles away who has only answered her phone once for me. I never went to an orientation, never was anything explained to me, they didn't even give me a copy of the handbook. Do yourself a favor and do not work for this company. It's probably the worst management I've ever had and everyone is miserable because we deal with incompetent people and make no money doing it.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!! Every review you have here is bad... wake up!! People want to work for you for more than just a few months.. give them a reason to. Also give people their breaks and water I mean jeeze. Maybe try caring about your employees I hear it does wonders for retention and productivity.

10. "Great experience!"

I worked at Photogenic full-time

Pros

Great opportunity! The experience I gained from recruiting is something I will always be thankful for. Staff in HQ is small but friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Pay could have been better, no annual reviews for bonus/higher pay opportunities