Photogenic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Steve Craig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Day shift, meet new people, work with younger crowd" (in 5 reviews)

• "It's a great environment to work in, definitely can be a fun summer job" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, people are cranky because they don't want their picture taken" (in 7 reviews)

• "As an upper management level employee I had my job threatened several times due to noncompliance of my employees" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Photogenic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Photogenic is a unique business. It is a fun environment and it is what you make of it. I thoroughly enjoy all aspects of management and Photogenic has helped me grow into a better leader.

I enjoy being a mentor to our front line staff, and it is always great to see someone grow from their first shift to becoming a Lead or a Supervisor.

Cons

Due to the nature of our industry (customer service & hospitality) it can be challenging to retain employees.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open. I have not always felt supported in my role as a manager, but that has changed over the past few years and I am pleased with the direction we are going in.

2. "Just don't do it"

Former Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are for the most part fun to be around

Cons

Excessive favoritism
    long hours not enough break time
    Calling off means getting fired. No exceptions (even when extremely sick)
    extremely rude guests
    little to no training
    Not near enough pay for what you have to edure
    Turnover rate is over the roof
     Didnt get your unpaid break? Theyll act like you did and wont pay you for the time you worked

Advice to Management

giving advice would not even matter considering they do not care about what anyone has to say about the company as long as they continue to make money. However i will entertain this. Better get everything fixed before someone sues.

3. "Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Sales "Photographer" in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales "Photographer" in Chicago, IL

I worked at Photogenic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tickets to their locations. That's literally the only thing.

Cons

Terrible managers
    Terrible HR. HR is supposed to help employees, but their HR people only protect the company like they're in charge of PR or something.
    Nobody here cares about their employees AT ALL. They thrive on college students desperate for a job. They will hire almost ANYONE. And fire anyone at the drop of a hat. Even their best employees.
    Are you sick? Puking? Dying? Don't even think about calling off. Not even once! Instant fire!
    They have a revolving door of employees. Constantly hiring and firing for the smallest things.
    If you work here, be ware! Especially at Skydeck (Willis Tower). It can be a very high stress job and the managers do not care about you at all. They will leave you on a ledge for your entire 8 hour shift with no water, restroom break, etc. You'll get a half hour unpaid break for lunch, but if you were on the ledge on the 103rd floor its more like twenty minutes tops. It takes about ten minutes to go downstairs to take your break and back up, and they count that as part of your break.
    Overall, its a terrible company. BY FAR the worst I've ever worked for and I've had some pretty crap jobs.
    Definitely don't get paid enough to do this terrible job either.

Advice to Management

Just fire the entire management. I cant imagine how much money it costs this company to keep hiring new people and train them. You'd think the CEO would realize that its the management that's the problem not the employees by now. But he just thinks they're wonderful. Most employees don't even deserve to be fired when they are.

4. "Retail associate"

I worked at Photogenic part-time

Pros

I worked at the museum location & it was horrible . & management likes to know what you do on social media

Cons

they make you take a drug test for snappin photos lol

Advice to Management

Let employees be on their phones

5. "Love yourself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Photogenic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summer hours
    Flexibility
    Advancement, if you're competent it's not that hard to get promoted

Cons

Off season hours are pretty much non existent , the managers show favoritism to their friends ,no one communicates, always understaffed, pay is trash, work conditions are directly affected by the weather (so come prepared). Only work here if you need quick money for the summer or if you're starting up right out of high school . If photography is your hobby or soon to be career choice please waste your time elsewhere

Advice to Management

Just shut it down.

6. "You can do so much better"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I worked at Photogenic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, but bad scheduling

Cons

Scam artists who charge obnoxious prices and treat staff terribly

7. "awesome company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Photogenic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

this company has soooo many amazing opportunities.

Cons

low hours in off season

Advice to Management

just communicate more openly. Explain the why.

8. "photographer"

I have been working at Photogenic part-time

Pros

great when its nice out

Cons

not so great when its cold out

"Negative Atmosphere with an even worse manager"

I worked at Photogenic full-time

Pros

Occasional Doughnuts, Cool Co-workers, Boss is never there

Cons

Everything starts out great as any job would, but the longer you work there the more dull and lifeless you become. Workload starts to become very repetitive. Wages are very low and hours fluctuate between none at all and no days off. Along with that you'd have to have a manager approved excuse just to get any time off. Always short-staffed throughout the year and expected to work 6 or 7 days a week and never call out. Even worse I worked for a manager that 45 minutes into the day would show up late and in a bad mood for personal reasons beyond our knowledge, but she did come baring doughnuts 1 out of the 20 days she was late so I guess that was pro. The actual job wasn't very hard just annoying to constantly put up with amongst the complaining of the boss (about her workload). Manager would make rude/condescending comments about employees to other employees. Also, she would state opinions aloud that were sensitive topics that shouldn't be mentioned in the workplace. She would leave around or before 1pm on every single shift within the week, even though she would put herself as closing the shop. If she didn't even leave early that day it meant that I had gotten a text that morning stating that she wasn't going to come in at all despite living 10 minutes away. If you want to advance in this company I wouldn't recommend it unless you were thinking of taking her place. Which wouldn't be an impossible task because you'd already be doing the things that corporate asked her to do in the first place. Scheduling is also a huge conflict; you get put on days you can't work when you've already given your availability multiple times bolded, highlighted, even color-coded. Poor, Unqualified people should not be in leadership roles. Companies would rather have someone with experience over a person that would actually make a good manager and do things with positivity and determination.

Advice to Management

Managers aren't anything without the employees and with a turnover rate this high within the last couple of months I hope they reevaluate their choices in who they let lead.

"sales trainer"

I worked at Photogenic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met people from all over, they work with your school schedule, was able to work at a national monument every day and advanced my photography skills. Local managers worked extra hard to bring little surprises to lift your spirits when you are being over worked.

Cons

We were forced to work in the extreme elements and were not provided proper provisions until I handed them my doctors bill. We were not provided rain jackets for my first year and were not allowed to wear our own (when we finally were able to get rain jackets we had to share 4 coats with 18 workers) , we were not provided sunscreen or hats until I wrote to HR, not to mention, we were forced to work up to 14 hours a day with a 30 minute break that was supposed to be used to drive to your next shift. Management would gossip with staff and bully them into quitting. Our manager let their personal life and alcohol problem directly effect our schedules and attitude of the day. I broke my thumb on the job and instead of being sent to the doctor immediately, I was expected to work until the end of my shift. When I finally went to the doctor, the company took forever to pay the bill and I was sent into collections. The managers do not stick up for employees. A dedicated coworker was fired for asking the host venues family to wait literally one moment for an 80 year old couple to take their photo before theirs, they were irate and demanded my coworker was fired. I was sexually harassed and stood up for myself, the manager of the venue stood up for me however the manager of the city made me feel if I had done something wrong for standing up for myself and used my story to tell other employees in training as an example of "what not to do."
    They do not respect religious holidays.
    To ask me why I stayed so long would be a great question. I would have to say it's like watching a sinking ship...you just can't stop watching.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Give them a voice. So many mistakes were made that could have been avoided if the right people were in charge.