Phunware Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Phunware Chairman and CEO Alan S. Knitowski
Alan S. Knitowski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance for employees (in 4 reviews)

• Cool people, big office, paycheck, ping pong (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance can be uneven (in 8 reviews)

• Miami) and transparency would help (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Phun place to work with co-workers who Pheel like Phamily"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Phunware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It really was about the people. Great coworkers and startup vibe in the Newport office. Always cool to work at a company that has a variety of technical capabilities and works with very cool clients (e.g. CBS, The CW, FOX). Amazing culture and work/life balance.

Cons

Marketing all of PW's capabilities can sometimes be a challenge (not entirely a bad problem to have though). More office-to-office collaboration (e.g. Newport + Austin + SD + Miami) and transparency would help.

Sep 22, 2017 – Human Resources

We are glad you liked the atmosphere and culture here. We agree -- we’ve had the opportunity to work with really awesome brands and our success has been possible because of the great people at... More

""Exceptional work culture and team""

Current Employee - Android Software Engineer in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Android Software Engineer in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Phunware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work full of smart people that care about you and wonderful environment. The culture here is very collaborative and mission driven. It feels like everyone is brought into the vision of the company, which makes it easy to come into work everyday. The culture is really amazing and they strive to help you become better.No silos, open communication, honesty is encouraged and no shaming when mistakes are made.They have regular happy hours.

In one line This is by the far the best team and best work culture I have ever experienced.

Cons

No Cons so far. i am really glad to be part of such exceptional team.

Advice to Management

PLEASE maintain the exceptional company culture.

Feb 5, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

You are right about the passion and talent that exists at Phunware - both are plentiful. We are proud of our culture and encourage open communication. Thanks so much for your feedback... I am glad... More

3. "Focused, on a lot"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Phunware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management has strong trust in your position and allows lots of individual responsibility.

Cons

With a myriad of digital products all competing for releases, it can be very hard to focus on just one thing-which sometimes results in a hard time balancing the load.

Feb 14, 2018

We are so glad that you have autonomy and feel like leadership trusts you to do your job, that is what the Phunware culture is all about
    Thanks for the feedback!

4. "Funding Challenges"

I worked at Phunware full-time

Pros

The people are great to work with. Everyone believes in the business and wants it to turn the corner and take off.

Cons

Constant funding challenges. Like any startup, always looking for more funds to continue on with the mission. Hard to keep good people because you always feel like you need to be looking for another job in case the next round of funding doesn't come. That being said, the CEO has always been able to find the next source of funds.

Feb 14, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! We pride ourselves on our ability to hire the best and brightest. The startup world can be challenging at times, but we are excited for what is on the horizon!

5. "Good company to work with"

I worked at Phunware full-time

Pros

Very talented individual and good company to work.

Cons

Work life balance. Need to available for weekends to resolve issues.

Feb 14, 2018

Thanks for your feedback!

"Great product, amazing people, stellar experience."

Former Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Phunware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If I had not been recruited for a more lucrative position, I would have been happy to stay in my full-time Marketing position. Here's why:

* Company uses modern, cloud-based software systems I love: Google Apps, Slack, Adobe CC, Kapost
    * Option to customize workstation: Macbook Pro with external monitor on raised platform with standing desk and high chair
    * Good benefits, including HSA-compatible healthcare plans, 401k, and stock options
    * High visibility with C-suite execs who will know your name/face, interact with you, and seriously listen to any ideas you may have
    * Culture of promoting from within
    * Enough snacks and a ping pong table to keep the Millennials happy, but not so much that it becomes a parody of itself
    * Diverse employee workforce, which is a breath of fresh air in ATX
    * Some of the smartest, hard-working coworkers who are supportive and collaborative, never political, and truly dedicated towards producing great work
    * Laid-back environment: unlimited PTO, cool with frequent WFH days - just get your work done and communicate well in advance to set expectations and you're golden

Cons

* North ATX office is kind of a bummer. Never given a parking pass so the aggro building management will frequently sticker-ticket legitimate employee vehicles (which is more of a frustrating inside joke, but still truly frustrating). Cool industrial feel with exposed pipes mean when the AC turns on it sounds like a jet engine, which will cause your heart to skip a beat before you acclimate and don't even realize it's happening anymore
    * High turnover in sales, though that's true of any company
    * Not enough women or WOC in executive roles. The talent is there, so the fact certain employees haven't advanced to C-suite levels conflicts with the CEO's passionate adherence to equal-opportunity meritocracy
    * Tech facilitates cross-functionality between departments, but layout literally separates sales/marketing in one wing, with design/product/engineering on the other
    * No 401k match

Advice to Management

The CEO, Alan, has been a keynote speaker for Women in Tech conferences to promote gender allyship in the tech industry (and especially in the ATX local community), but those are just good optics until he takes action to promote deserving employees to higher positions within the company.

"Good Company to start."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Phunware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent teams, excellent culture and good ambience.

Cons

Salaries are lower than regional salaries.

Feb 1, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoy the culture and environment at Phunware. We regularly evaluate our total compensation package (including stock options and benefit offerings) and are... More

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Phunware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, open to new ideas, friendly atmosphere, engaging projects to work on. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Small company problems like lack of process in certain situations can cause some issues, but we're actively working on improving that.

Advice to Management

Thanks for keeping us informed about how the business is going and how our product is evolving. Continuing to invest in training will help us make the product even better. Keep up to great work!

"Still having Phun"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Phunware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge growth in revenue every year
    Casual atmosphere
    Flexible hours
    Rewards those who work hard, are proactive and keep a positive attitude
    Working with cutting edge technologies in mobile and big data world.
    Flexibility to work with new programming languages and frameworks

Cons

Sometimes it feels like we are trying to do too much too fast.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Aug 10, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thanks for the note and glad you are enjoying Phunware.

We are always trying to improve so if you have more ideas shoot me a note or stop by my office or grab me while I am at your location.

"Awesome people, interesting projects, great tech"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Phunware (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working at Phunware. The leadership is transparent and employee first, the people around you are the best in their respective roles, and the various customers/industries you work with keep thing interesting and 'sexy'.

I developed very real relationships with my boss and the people I worked with, and for me that translated into a high quality of life and a great work environment. Phunware's approach is to focus on the work, not on arbitrary constructs, which translates to flexible work hours, unlimited PTO, ability to work from anywhere, etc as long as you were performing.

The only reason I left PW was because I was recruited into a once in a lifetime role, and the only reason I got that was because of the experience and training I got at Phunware. I highly recommend considering Phunware for any and all interested.

Cons

Let's be honest, work is work. Sometimes we had to go the extra mile to get projects out the door, but even then it wasn't painful and we were doing in a positive team environment. The connection to the customer (and in my case the product) made it all worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Continue on your vision and continue to kick butt!