Cover image for Phunware

77 Comments

Tech

572.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Phunware~489127
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Phunware? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Phunware employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good people sitting next to you.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers and startup vibe in the Newport office.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Good managers and people (until they left)(in 5 reviews)
  • "Amazing culture and work/life balance.(in 5 reviews)
  • "If you have a voice, it will be heard, good opportunity to speak up, very democratic.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Ambitious Company with Lots of Opportunity

Jun 21, 2022 - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Between Phunware's initiatives in crypto and the SaaS platform to drive digital transformation on mobile there is massive market opportunity, that just requires execution to capture. Despite being public, the company still operates in startup mode, meaning employees wear lots of hats. For those that like being exposed to lots of different aspects of the business, this means there are tons of opportunities to find your niche and take on responsibilities with regular internal promotions. Management is very supportive of ideas and initiatives that will help drive new business.

Cons

I've seen people who like lots of structure and routine struggle with the startup mentality and lofty goals.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Growing Team and Innovative Company

Jun 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Culture, Supportive Management Team, Great Benefits, Top Talent, Amazing Technology, and a Dedicated Team.

Cons

The only issue that I have seen is that we have not invested enough in our products. We need to hire talent that specializes in product development and understands what the market needs vs relying on our customers to always drive that roadmap.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Dynamic Environment

Jun 3, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is always something to do and always a way to contribute. It’s a small company so you can participate wherever you feel you are able. Plenty of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Wouldn’t recommend to a first time job seeker. Everyone has their work and does it so you may not interact much with others on the daily.

4. 1.0
    Current Employee

Not what I expected - Lacking good management

Jun 22, 2022 - UX-UI Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The other designers are young and fun

Cons

I'm actually writing this because management "asked" (really sounded more like a demand) us write about our products and the company on Social Media. Which, in itself, is such a weird ask. I'm not going to post work stuff to my Instagram or Facebook. I would never spam my friends or family like that. So I figure I'd take it to Glassdoor. Not what I expected when I took the job. It's an okay stop on my career path but it's not somewhere I would stay long-term. Since day 1, there's been some fear of layoffs. Their history of layoffs is pretty telling. No job security reassurance whatsoever. There are days I don't do anything at all because of lack of work/projects. There's no real design leadership here. Managers have never been managers previously and it shows. There's no real design system. Every day is a random new project (aka the next shiny thing) from management. People here are either 110% diehard fanboys/fangirls or they hate it here. If you ever try to criticize sometime (even constructively), you are treated like an outcast who doesn't, "believe in the company". It's nuts! I've shortly learned that it's just better to be a "yes man" here and keep my head down to collect a paycheck -- which is a laughable salary compared to real companies with real design orgs by the way. If my boss only makes 5-figures, how on earth would I ever grow and earn more here?

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Was good until the good people left but pay was always terrible

Jul 1, 2021 - UX-UI Designer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good managers and people (until they left)

Cons

- Constant fear of being laid off - Terrible pay, hard to survive on it - Once my direct managers left, I didn't have the same support or reassurance I wouldn't be laid off - New managers would passive-aggressively watch over our shoulders to see if we were working - New managers worried less about our growth or getting the work done, but rather make us do busy-work - CEO would walk the office at 8am and take names of who wasn't in their seats yet - Executive leadership is extremely out of touch, driving six-figure cars to work and paying experienced designers barely enough to survive in Austin - Leadership changes directions all the time. One week it's crypto, next week its enterprise software, next week its services. No clear direction which leads to massive layoffs. When I started, there was 200 employees, when I left, there were less than 50. - Unlimited PTO isn't really unlimited. When you get past 12 days, expect to get a lecture from managers about how other companies only really give 10-12 PTO days a year.

9 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0

Don't do it

Jun 3, 2021 - User Experience Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not any pros to be honest.

Cons

Underpaid (well below average). Overworked. Bad management. Instead of competitive pay, it's one of the companies that try to justify with snacks and throws out phrases like "We'll treat you like family!" There's a constant fear of being laid off. It doesn't really matter because you can't survive on the pay anyways. Managers will secretly time when you come into work, when you leave, and how long your lunches are. Co-workers have huge egos, will belittle you, and management doesn't care. My advice is to take the job if you are desperate, but keep applying for other jobs in the meantime.

6 people found this review helpful

Phunware Response

Director, Human Resources

We strive hard to make Phunware a great place to work and, clearly, that didn't happen for you. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please reach out to me at hr@phunware.com

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome first UX job

Apr 14, 2021 - UX-UI Designer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, phun, tech, collaborative, ux generalist

Cons

lower competitive pay, commute in Austin

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It was Phun times before it went public.

Dec 16, 2020 - Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Core group is or was a close knit group of work hard play hard team members

Cons

Everyone is underpaid. High turnover.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee

Plenty of opportunity

May 17, 2020 - Computer Programming
    Business Outlook

Pros

work the cutting edge, fellowship, snacks.

Cons

Sometimes "crunch mode" makes it hard to find work/life balance - not uncommon in tech.

10. 2.0

They tried hard

Apr 20, 2020 - Development Manager in Newport Beach, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, many people with deep mobile experiences.

Cons

Their core vision is what was hot at that moment. Contract development generates insufficient cash flow, doing too much but unable to focus on the next big thing. Finally, no one knows what the next big thing is.

6 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 97 Reviews

Phunware Reviews FAQs

Phunware has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 102 reviews left anonymously by employees. 58% of employees would recommend working at Phunware to a friend and 51% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Phunware employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Phunware. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

58% of Phunware employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Phunware 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Phunware to be benefits, culture, career development and the cons to be compensation, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Phunware Job Seekers