Physio-Control Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Physio-Control President & COO Mitch Parrish
Mitch Parrish

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We make life saving products for life saving teams (in 12 reviews)

• Great work life balance with a solid 40 hour work week block schedule allowing to leave the office for personal appointments (in 6 reviews)

Cons

"Stryker and Physio Control"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission
    Improvements to facilities
    Desire to be a leader in the industry

Cons

In effective managers, which aren't removed and continue to cause turn over.
    Old boys club makes it hard for women to move up or even get fair pay.
    Disconnect between Global teams, where some teams get more improvement than others. Double standard on how budgets are spent under the same VP.
    Poor work life balance in many departments.
    Improvement projects are constantly stuck in IT, due to VP taking money out of IT for years.
    Outdated computers, IT infrastructure and operating systems. Team members spend a lot of time waiting on their computers, reducing productivity.
    Due to being so far out of date it will take years for Stryker to make any progress, even with sizable investments.
    Lower pay was justified by great benefits including healthcare, that now with Stryker is horrible healthcare, more expensive premiums, more out of pocket and smaller network. So the low pay is even lower and there is more people leaving.

Advice to Management

Take an honest look at your organization, look at all the people who are leaving. Some turn over is good, but you are losing a lot of talent, with a lot of knowledge that is needed.

"moving out of the dark ages?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong mission
    Generally good people, although competence levels vary
    Installed base of products creates strength (but also complacency)

Cons

Hopefully Stryker will continue to clean house as appropriate. The top two leaders were quickly taken out by Stryker due to their affair and incompetence.
    Leadership has been notoriously removed from and/or unaware of issues. Hopefully this improves with the departure of the top two leaders

Advice to Management

Act as one team and support employees in reaching goals vs. simply being an armchair critic.

"Place is a mess"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

Mission is good. There are few non-management staff that are great.

Cons

VP is incapable and surrounds himself with all his buddies. HR has no teeth. VP does atrocious things and they look the other way. A manager was having an affair with a consultant in the open and the VP actively promotes him.

Who voted for the current President? Has somebody interviewed him? Maybe the last president and he had a buddy system.

Advice to Management

Hope you move on and open a burger joint. The style would flourish in that business.

"Principal System Engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Individual people are great to work with.

Cons

Leadership forces engineering to unrealistic delivery dates
    Expect to deliver more with less budget
    Status reporting is more politically driven that based on facts
    Leaders are very passive aggressive and do not want to deal with the actual problem. Allows problem employees to stick around while high performers are asked to figure out how to deal with under performers.
    Management don't deal with the problem directly but ask their directs to figure it out instead of acting like the leaders are suppose to
    No career advancement opportunities it takes engineers 5 to 7 years to even be considered for promotion.

Advice to Management

Higher Leaders that want to deliver instead of hiring people they use to work with that is why there are only yes men and not people who want to build quality products.
    Focus on actual delivery dates and not politics on how "perception becomes reality"

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Western, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Western, MN

Pros

Highest quality products in the market

Cons

Products are now outdated. Management sets unrealistic quota’s and goals. Plus they have to many processes that take to long and make no sense. Its harder to navigate within the companies policies and procedures than to sell to the customer.

Advice to Management

Stream line the sales process and listen to your customers

6. "Stuck in the past"

Former Contractor - Data Analyst (Contractor) in Bothell, WA
    Former Contractor - Data Analyst (Contractor) in Bothell, WA

I worked at Physio-Control as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice setting in architecturally interesting building.

Cons

High turnover rate. Someone leaving every week.
    IT department is way behind in implementing updated technologies. Overall poor skill level in computer applications.

Advice to Management

Need to retrain staff and hire people with good computer skills to move the organization forward. Too many long-term employees that have not invested in professional development.

"Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Redmond, WA

Pros

Friendly co-workers that act like a team. Solutions based technical support towards their customers while not trying to sell them something.

Cons

Micromanagement. Every word you type or speak is being criticized. The department has an extremely high turnover rate and they don't seem to care about that.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your employees. They have talent.

"Don't Reccomend"

Former Employee - Distribution in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Distribution in Bothell, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not much, besides the coworkers I worked with at my level.

Cons

Too many cliques. Seems while I was there certain groups would hang out with each other and there was too much separation between teams. Having quarterly meetings brought those teams together and everything was dandy, but then when it was over there was that separation again.

Terrible management. If you don't see eye-to-eye with your manager, you won't go far. Even though they stress improvements and welcome new ideas. If their not their ideas you are frowned on, unless you are close and tight with that manager. Managers have there favorites at Physio, I was witness to it towards the end of my employment. This is why I left. My hard work was overlooked.

The real hard workers are not rewarded at this company. Every award given at company meetings are to the same people who don't really do anything. These hard workers are not rewarded with promotions, instead managers bring in friends from outside the company who have no knowledge of the product or process.

The product is great at the company, however we cannot spend money on the tools needed to efficiently send product to the customers, or keep an accurate inventory. This was the worst inventory system I have been witnessed to. The system (QAD) would shut down on average 2-3 times a month and would slow down production. This created a lot of stress for the distribution team.

Employees are scared to bring concerns to their managers in fear that their job would be in jeopardy. I know I was.

Company would spend money on special functions, but would not spend the money on essentials. Still living in the past need to update tools to work efficiently.

The split from Medtronic was a mistake. The change brought headaches with our distribution team and slowed the process. Their were days we had to wait for the offsite warehouse to ship before we could ship from our end. This caused delays to our customers, which added to customer frustration. We would ship the same order twice, but from two different warehouses, whereas before, we sent the order once from one warehouse.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the little man. They can add value to the company as well. Build a warehouse on site. Promote the right people from within that are willing...there are plenty that would seize the opportunity. Too many of the good workers are leaving the company.

"BEWARE OF QUALITY ENGINEERING DEPARTEMENT (it is a death bed for engineers)"

Former Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No Pros at all. Worst management ever.

Cons

it is a death bed for engineers.

Cheating, Lying and not keeping their promises is a pride for the managers. I worked there for 6 years and was cheated by my manager several time. The manager I worked for was promoted to a VP and he then left the company. I got to ask the question to the President, how do you feel - Used ?

Advice to Management

Be reasonable to your employees. Stop cheating.

"Good and Bad Senior Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company makes great products, but only recently. Campus is nice and they server beer in cafeteria.

Cons

Management is mixed. Engineering strong, QA strong, Sales and Customer Support strong. Financial and CEO are sarcastic and throwback to 1970s style. Been here 4+ years and fed up with it.

Advice to Management

CEO and CFO. Practice what you preach about leadership and respect. Sarcasm and humilation are not characteristics of leadership. Some of the comments you maker in public are embarrassing.