Physio-Control Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Physio-Control President & COO Mitch Parrish
Mitch Parrish

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We make life saving products for life saving teams (in 12 reviews)

• Great work life balance with a solid 40 hour work week block schedule allowing to leave the office for personal appointments (in 6 reviews)

1. "Questionable"

Pros

Most people are great. Lots of knowledge and experience. Benefits are just okay, especially after Stryker acquisition. Lost good key leaders after Stryker.

Cons

Current leadership is horrendous. Work-life balance is non-existent. Constant pressure on schedule and sales rather than quality. Functional leadership in several areas is very weak.

2. "Schedules and ungency/ planning"

Former Employee - Senior HW QA Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior HW QA Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, good projects, friendly personal, Fair amount of test equipment with decent budgets, Good information monthly company results from senior staff and CEO. Onsite cafeteria with good variety of selections and nice campus

Cons

Lacks sense of timeliness of projects and priorities. Gets caught up in minutia and not making decisions, lack of sense of doing what is right and implementing it in a timely manner. 5+ years on same project and still need 1 year. All personnel below management laugh at new schedule after it is released.

Advice to Management

Get involved with Engineering meetings, actually go to engineering meeting and motivated personnel. Look at self for why high turnover of personnel.

"Great mission, but pure management."

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open work environment. Smart engineers. Good benefits. Good fitness center that cost only $10 per month for full time employees. Open work environment.

Cons

Upper management not have a vision about the future. Research is not appreciated at all and too much politics inside the company. All projects are delayed on significant time. Many recent lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Hope Stryker will bring more experinced high managers, who will be able to organize a right work and finish projects on time.

"Project Engineer"

Pros

Nice amenities for employees and smart co-workers.

Cons

Lack of professional management to lead company thru its growing pains and become more efficient in their processes. The work environment is toxic and political.

Advice to Management

Take an active role in helping your company grow. Take a sincere interest into resolving your organizations inability to truly expand and collaborate across teams;allowing projects to succeed within realistic timelines.

"Management has Lost Their Way"

Pros

We make life saving products for life saving teams. The office in Redmond is decent, we have a cafeteria and a gym.

Cons

We were acquired by Stryker earlier this year and we're waiting to see how the integration progresses. Brian Webster is no longer CEO (a good thing in my opinion), but Mitch Parrish former COO stepped into the CEO position (or whatever he's called now we're part of Stryker). Also not a good thing. The leadership - I use that term loosely - is lost. Directors and VP's run around worrying about golf rather than helping the team members with direction and goal setting. Very white male culture, shockingly so. It's amazed me how they get away with all the unprofessional behavior (gossip, trips, affairs with employees, etc.). HR is floundering as well - they can't complete the most rudimentary tasks so that leaves the managers struggling with even more to do. Recent new hires at the Senior Manager and Director levels have absolutely no medical device manufacturing experience. Since they receive no training, they don't know how to contribute for a good 6-12 months after being hired. Some of the "leaders" don't like the idea of Stryker owning us and have become active obstacles to the integration. The acquisition has brought the worst out in some of the leadership team and they surround themselves with people who do nothing but stroke their egos. Until Stryker makes some changes, I'd stay away from Physio-Control.

Advice to Management

Please leave. If you can't or won't do that, then try to behave like leaders. Get a professional coach if you don't understand what behaving like a leader means. Stop hiring these incompetent managers and directors who either have no management or leadership experience and/or no medical device manufacturing experience. The rest of us (and our customers and the FDA) can't wait for them to play catch up to contribute. I'm tired of carrying the dead weight.

"Field Service Representative"

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Redmond, WA

Pros

Product, Mission, Employees, Customers. Supporting First Responders is very satisfying.

Cons

Director Level manages by fear and intimidation. Service Management executive makes plan while FSRs struggle to reach plan. Employees stopped giving constructive feedback in fear of being marked as trouble makers. No one can make a decision in the Field without involving Director level approval. No employee empowerment. District Managers a glorified admins. Service managed by finance team. Redmond is always right and FSR are always wrong.

Advice to Management

Your Service team is on the brink. We are doing more with less headcount and the savings are not coming back via our comp plan. Stop managing by fear and intimidation. Trust your District Managers and Senior FSRs.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flat organization with lots of access to senior management.
    -If you are capable, the team will listen to you.
    -Really neat products in the pipeline.
    -Great intern program.

Cons

-All boys club at the executive level
    -Unnecessary spending and empire building
    -High turnover in HR and Finance/Accounting teams

Advice to Management

-If you are going to say something publicly at a team update, actually mean it.
    -Lack of focus on employee development, most programs seem like a "well let's give it a try", as opposed to a focused strategy.

"Turnover Central"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

There are some great people that work at the company. You are working for a company that makes life saving tools for life saving teams, which is rewarding. Not much else...

Cons

There is a constant sleuth of people leaving the company. Existing work is piled onto the remaining employees and stay there. Worklife balace is non-existent and your 70/hr weeks will not be appreciated by management. Work is unevenly divided amongst employees and is dependant on your relationship/favoritism by middle management. Upper/executive management lack any empathy for their employees; you are merely an expendable work mule.

9. "Service Product Manager"

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

Bottle level of engineers, developers, support team members are good workers.

Cons

Company has 60 years of history, but it is still young in life cycle product development and management. Business system and quality system is behind. Overall product development management has no consistent process.

Advice to Management

Invest in project management, so we can deliver new product on time!

10. "engineering hardware technician"

Current Employee - Engineering Hardware Technician in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Hardware Technician in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

relaxed job, no pressure, one hour lunch on Friday

Cons

contract work, favorites picked for better jobs based on BS capability

Advice to Management

hire full time