Physio-Control Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Physio-Control President & COO Mitch Parrish
Mitch Parrish

Pros
  • Very innovative, life-saving company (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance with a solid 40 hour work week block schedule allowing to leave the office for personal appointments (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "Schedules and ungency/ planning"

Former Employee - Senior HW QA Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior HW QA Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, good projects, friendly personal, Fair amount of test equipment with decent budgets, Good information monthly company results from senior staff and CEO. Onsite cafeteria with good variety of selections and nice campus

Cons

Lacks sense of timeliness of projects and priorities. Gets caught up in minutia and not making decisions, lack of sense of doing what is right and implementing it in a timely manner. 5+ years on same project and still need 1 year. All personnel below management laugh at new schedule after it is released.

Advice to Management

Get involved with Engineering meetings, actually go to engineering meeting and motivated personnel. Look at self for why high turnover of personnel.

2. "Great mission, but pure management."

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open work environment. Smart engineers. Good benefits. Good fitness center that cost only $10 per month for full time employees. Open work environment.

Cons

Upper management not have a vision about the future. Research is not appreciated at all and too much politics inside the company. All projects are delayed on significant time. Many recent lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Hope Stryker will bring more experinced high managers, who will be able to organize a right work and finish projects on time.

3. "Project Engineer"

Pros

Nice amenities for employees and smart co-workers.

Cons

Lack of professional management to lead company thru its growing pains and become more efficient in their processes. The work environment is toxic and political.

Advice to Management

Take an active role in helping your company grow. Take a sincere interest into resolving your organizations inability to truly expand and collaborate across teams;allowing projects to succeed within realistic timelines.

"Management has Lost Their Way"

Pros

We make life saving products for life saving teams. The office in Redmond is decent, we have a cafeteria and a gym.

Cons

We were acquired by Stryker earlier this year and we're waiting to see how the integration progresses. Brian Webster is no longer CEO (a good thing in my opinion), but Mitch Parrish former COO stepped into the CEO position (or whatever he's called now we're part of Stryker). Also not a good thing. The leadership - I use that term loosely - is lost. Directors and VP's run around worrying about golf rather than helping the team members with direction and goal setting. Very white male culture, shockingly so. It's amazed me how they get away with all the unprofessional behavior (gossip, trips, affairs with employees, etc.). HR is floundering as well - they can't complete the most rudimentary tasks so that leaves the managers struggling with even more to do. Recent new hires at the Senior Manager and Director levels have absolutely no medical device manufacturing experience. Since they receive no training, they don't know how to contribute for a good 6-12 months after being hired. Some of the "leaders" don't like the idea of Stryker owning us and have become active obstacles to the integration. The acquisition has brought the worst out in some of the leadership team and they surround themselves with people who do nothing but stroke their egos. Until Stryker makes some changes, I'd stay away from Physio-Control.

Advice to Management

Please leave. If you can't or won't do that, then try to behave like leaders. Get a professional coach if you don't understand what behaving like a leader means. Stop hiring these incompetent managers and directors who either have no management or leadership experience and/or no medical device manufacturing experience. The rest of us (and our customers and the FDA) can't wait for them to play catch up to contribute. I'm tired of carrying the dead weight.

"Field Service Representative"

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Redmond, WA

Pros

Product, Mission, Employees, Customers. Supporting First Responders is very satisfying.

Cons

Director Level manages by fear and intimidation. Service Management executive makes plan while FSRs struggle to reach plan. Employees stopped giving constructive feedback in fear of being marked as trouble makers. No one can make a decision in the Field without involving Director level approval. No employee empowerment. District Managers a glorified admins. Service managed by finance team. Redmond is always right and FSR are always wrong.

Advice to Management

Your Service team is on the brink. We are doing more with less headcount and the savings are not coming back via our comp plan. Stop managing by fear and intimidation. Trust your District Managers and Senior FSRs.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flat organization with lots of access to senior management.
    -If you are capable, the team will listen to you.
    -Really neat products in the pipeline.
    -Great intern program.

Cons

-All boys club at the executive level
    -Unnecessary spending and empire building
    -High turnover in HR and Finance/Accounting teams

Advice to Management

-If you are going to say something publicly at a team update, actually mean it.
    -Lack of focus on employee development, most programs seem like a "well let's give it a try", as opposed to a focused strategy.

"Turnover Central"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

There are some great people that work at the company. You are working for a company that makes life saving tools for life saving teams, which is rewarding. Not much else...

Cons

There is a constant sleuth of people leaving the company. Existing work is piled onto the remaining employees and stay there. Worklife balace is non-existent and your 70/hr weeks will not be appreciated by management. Work is unevenly divided amongst employees and is dependant on your relationship/favoritism by middle management. Upper/executive management lack any empathy for their employees; you are merely an expendable work mule.

9. "Service Product Manager"

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

Bottle level of engineers, developers, support team members are good workers.

Cons

Company has 60 years of history, but it is still young in life cycle product development and management. Business system and quality system is behind. Overall product development management has no consistent process.

Advice to Management

Invest in project management, so we can deliver new product on time!

10. "engineering hardware technician"

Current Employee - Engineering Hardware Technician in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Hardware Technician in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

relaxed job, no pressure, one hour lunch on Friday

Cons

contract work, favorites picked for better jobs based on BS capability

Advice to Management

hire full time

"Mixed bag - all the good comes with bad"

Former Employee - Finance in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Finance in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Saving lives is a mission that the company takes to heart, and it adds a new level to the work you do. I was proud to say I worked for Physio, because the products are the best in the industry. It's not a small company but it's not large, and so it has an interesting cultural mix (that varies depending on your department of course). Sometimes it has a start up feel, sometimes it's an old school boys club feel.

Benefits start immediately, which is very nice.

Cons

...but those medical benefits and bonuses are a joke. This is a healthcare company and you're sticking me with a high deductible benefit plan? I don't get paid enough to cover that deductible, and the company pays below market rate and admits it, saying with raises you'll eventually get there. Raises are so small (2.5% on average for the highest performers not in management) you'll never be paid equal to industry average. The 401k is pretty decent, but you have to be with the company upwards of 5 years for their matching to be fully vested. Better than nothing, but considering the reasons why you might want to leave this company in less time than that (and many, many people do), it's like them taking money right back out of your pocket.

Bonuses have no individual performance component. If Europe's sales are terrible this year, you don't get the full bonus. I agree with bonuses having to do with company goals, I don't agree that when I work extremely hard I should have my bonus cut in half because some random team half a world away didn't meet the unrealistic goals set for them.

A lot of reviews talk about the CFO and the Finance dept being broken. They are right, but working in that organization was made worse by that attitude, because not every employee there was a road block or a total failure. Dealing with that historical reputation is a constant morale killer when you're working so hard. And the department is beyond lean. It's bare bone. Employees are working 70 hour weeks salaried without so much as a thank you. They wonder why turnover is so high.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Pay a competitive wage, give decent raises/bonuses/medical benefits (you're in the healthcare industry for goodness sake) and stop treating anyone who's not an engineer or a sales rep like they are "just overhead." The Cash is King attitude is taken to an extreme and leads to terrible decision making.

Invest in tools. Adding one new system on top of 3 ancient, broken ones is not a solution. You're buying a Ferrari and pulling it with a tractor. And what's worse is you think that it's going to improve things so much you can actually reduce staffing. You are so out of touch with what's happening on the ground floor it's embarassing. When I left and was asked to stay and why I was leaving, I mentioned the understaffing, lack of resources, long hours, etc. There is no plan to change that any time soon, if ever. The CFO sees some parts of his team as necessary evils instead of crucial, valuable employees, and you very well know it when you're on that part of his team.

I loved the work I did and I did it very well. I wasn't looking for a new job even though I was working 70 hour weeks and was totally unappreciated by upper management. But when I got recruited I couldn't say no to an offer that included better pay, benefits and a chance for actual work/life balance.

With the right changes in direction and reprioritization I would definitely consider going back to Physio. But on the "outside" it's even more apparent why the company is significantly losing market share as well as their best employees.