Physio-Control Reviews | Glassdoor

Physio-Control Reviews

Updated July 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We make life saving products for life saving teams (in 12 reviews)

• Great work life balance with a solid 40 hour work week block schedule allowing to leave the office for personal appointments (in 6 reviews)

Cons

"Stryker and Physio Control"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission
    Improvements to facilities
    Desire to be a leader in the industry

Cons

In effective managers, which aren't removed and continue to cause turn over.
    Old boys club makes it hard for women to move up or even get fair pay.
    Disconnect between Global teams, where some teams get more improvement than others. Double standard on how budgets are spent under the same VP.
    Poor work life balance in many departments.
    Improvement projects are constantly stuck in IT, due to VP taking money out of IT for years.
    Outdated computers, IT infrastructure and operating systems. Team members spend a lot of time waiting on their computers, reducing productivity.
    Due to being so far out of date it will take years for Stryker to make any progress, even with sizable investments.
    Lower pay was justified by great benefits including healthcare, that now with Stryker is horrible healthcare, more expensive premiums, more out of pocket and smaller network. So the low pay is even lower and there is more people leaving.

Advice to Management

Take an honest look at your organization, look at all the people who are leaving. Some turn over is good, but you are losing a lot of talent, with a lot of knowledge that is needed.

"Management has Lost Their Way"

Pros

We make life saving products for life saving teams. The office in Redmond is decent, we have a cafeteria and a gym.

Cons

We were acquired by Stryker earlier this year and we're waiting to see how the integration progresses. Brian Webster is no longer CEO (a good thing in my opinion), but Mitch Parrish former COO stepped into the CEO position (or whatever he's called now we're part of Stryker). Also not a good thing. The leadership - I use that term loosely - is lost. Directors and VP's run around worrying about golf rather than helping the team members with direction and goal setting. Very white male culture, shockingly so. It's amazed me how they get away with all the unprofessional behavior (gossip, trips, affairs with employees, etc.). HR is floundering as well - they can't complete the most rudimentary tasks so that leaves the managers struggling with even more to do. Recent new hires at the Senior Manager and Director levels have absolutely no medical device manufacturing experience. Since they receive no training, they don't know how to contribute for a good 6-12 months after being hired. Some of the "leaders" don't like the idea of Stryker owning us and have become active obstacles to the integration. The acquisition has brought the worst out in some of the leadership team and they surround themselves with people who do nothing but stroke their egos. Until Stryker makes some changes, I'd stay away from Physio-Control.

Advice to Management

Please leave. If you can't or won't do that, then try to behave like leaders. Get a professional coach if you don't understand what behaving like a leader means. Stop hiring these incompetent managers and directors who either have no management or leadership experience and/or no medical device manufacturing experience. The rest of us (and our customers and the FDA) can't wait for them to play catch up to contribute. I'm tired of carrying the dead weight.

"moving out of the dark ages?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong mission
    Generally good people, although competence levels vary
    Installed base of products creates strength (but also complacency)

Cons

Hopefully Stryker will continue to clean house as appropriate. The top two leaders were quickly taken out by Stryker due to their affair and incompetence.
    Leadership has been notoriously removed from and/or unaware of issues. Hopefully this improves with the departure of the top two leaders

Advice to Management

Act as one team and support employees in reaching goals vs. simply being an armchair critic.

"Place is a mess"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

Mission is good. There are few non-management staff that are great.

Cons

VP is incapable and surrounds himself with all his buddies. HR has no teeth. VP does atrocious things and they look the other way. A manager was having an affair with a consultant in the open and the VP actively promotes him.

Who voted for the current President? Has somebody interviewed him? Maybe the last president and he had a buddy system.

Advice to Management

Hope you move on and open a burger joint. The style would flourish in that business.

"Quality Engineer"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere! Stable organization, good benefits.

Cons

Confusing systems integration and inter-department communication needs work.

"Software Engineering"

Current Employee - Software Engineering
    Current Employee - Software Engineering

Pros

Interesting projects that aren't cutting edge but pushing industry limits. Great work life balance with a solid 40 hour work week block schedule allowing to leave the office for personal appointments. Decent amenities.

Cons

Depending upon your team, there might not be many growth opportunities. Pay for medical industry is lesser than that of tech industry but is made up for a higher work/life balance. Teams can move slow in development cycle as a result of requirements for heavy documentation because of regulatory issues.

"Great for getting your foot in the door"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really nice here. Lots of interaction between employees. Volleyball games and other community based activities to take the pressure of the workplace off.

Cons

Work you till you're exhausted. Not always clear instructions, projects can be very loosely defined which can pose a challenge.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Internal career opportunities are good for people who are capable and willing to learn new skills. Middle management (operations and quality) is excellent and filled with people who genuinely care about your personal growth and happiness. The benefits are OK and look to become better with the recent Stryker acquisition. Onsite gym, cafe, community outreach, mission, and outlook all add to the wonderful things that are Physio.

Cons

Certain departments run leaner than others (quality) and the work can seem endless at times.

Advice to Management

Put more resources into quality, some of us are drowning in work.

"Field Service Representative"

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in Redmond, WA

Pros

Product, Mission, Employees, Customers. Supporting First Responders is very satisfying.

Cons

Director Level manages by fear and intimidation. Service Management executive makes plan while FSRs struggle to reach plan. Employees stopped giving constructive feedback in fear of being marked as trouble makers. No one can make a decision in the Field without involving Director level approval. No employee empowerment. District Managers a glorified admins. Service managed by finance team. Redmond is always right and FSR are always wrong.

Advice to Management

Your Service team is on the brink. We are doing more with less headcount and the savings are not coming back via our comp plan. Stop managing by fear and intimidation. Trust your District Managers and Senior FSRs.

10. "Enjoyed working at Physio-Control, would consider returning"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working at Physio-Control, would consider returning with changes to upper management. Beautiful campus. Company involved and vested in promoting health around the globe.

Cons

Strange undercurrent from CEO office that affected company moral and team work. Liked what I saw of the CEO in the all hands meetings but didn't always see that what was said and how that impacted my lower level job.
    Lack of interaction between departments.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk and remember the golden rule - take care of everyone in the same way you take care of yourself.
    Understand what motivates people.