Picture People Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
John Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, little room for advancement, long hours during holidays (in 14 reviews)

• Hired on as seasonal then moved to full time (in 13 reviews)

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Picture People full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the actual work; the photography, working with clients, developing film and prints (pre-digital). Setting up for each holiday was always exciting, and the team building events were a great idea and fun.

Cons

The hours for management, in order to meet the standards of the company were grueling. The sales expectations were high, and difficult to meet due to equipment failures and the low pay we had to offer skilled and talented employees, so employee retention was difficult. There was no room for creativity; each store had to look like every other store. A 'real' photographer should not work there, and the clients will get only cookie cutter results.

Advice to Management

Better training to management, better support to management, better district management to assist store management. There is so much to be done; perhaps a dedicated team that comes in and does the setup for merchandising, whatever it takes to take something off the plate of management, especially training, so that the cookie cutter environment that is expected of a large mall store can be maintained, and explain that thoroughly so that they don't mistakenly hire an actual photographer who has real skills and gets stuck in this kind of a job

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Humble, TX

I worked at Picture People full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed taking pictures and co workers

Cons

It became very cookie cutter & no room for creativity

Advice to Management

Photography is an art. Hire and train people with more experience and let them do their job- not tell them exactly what poses to do.

3. "Very disappointing working there"

Current Employee - Photographer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Photographer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Picture People part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Studio Manager is great, tries hard to make working there bearable

Cons

The company is in bankruptcy, the facility is nasty and unsafe. District managers on up does not care about employees. The company does not care about photography, only about selling packages. Lies to the customers, says it shoots in high Res, does not!!! shoots in JPEG. Unsafe working conditions, Piles of heavy frames on flimsy shelves. Just a matter of time before catastrophic will happen.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to customer, employee and facility needs. It just a matter of time before you close the doors if you don't.

4. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Picture People part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff friendly (varies)
    For the most part, customers were gracious
    Competitive work, if you were a good photographer / sales you got more hours

Cons

Scheduling was difficult and ultimately the reason I left. If it is slow season, prepare to have your hours cut literally the day before you are scheduled.
    Customers don't understand how copyright works
    Management very sales focused
    Low wages, untipped

Advice to Management

Please be a little better at scheduling - it's hard when it is based on how busy you are but cut a little earlier

"Never Worked so Hard for so Much Less"

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Picture People full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good (if full time) ...ONLY reason for 2 stars
    Plenty of opportunity for overtime during peak periods

Cons

Very little appreciation/acknowledgement of management/full-time employees
    Even less for part-time/associates (/"photographers")
    Poor training (NOT professional photographers)
    Excessive blackout periods (mandatory days, no exceptions)
    Little acknowledgement or positive feedback from those above studio level
    Consistent understaffing due to labor cuts/costs
    Poor studio maintenance (no professional cleaners or linen cleaning, broken equipment, props, etc)
    Overbookings online and in store, despite feasible turnaround times
    Unrealistic sales expectations with constant discounts and coupons available
    Low quality equipment, cameras, computers, software, etc
    Constant employee turnover due to minimal pay rates
    High stress environment

Advice to Management

Find something where your time, talent, and skills are not only appreciated, but adequately compensated for as well.

6. "Worst job I've ever had..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Picture People part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro would be getting experience in customer service. You're constantly dealing with people, good and bad. Can be taken as a pro or con.

Cons

Absolutely horrible hours. I was working "part time" but I don't think I worked more than 10-12 hours per week. Managers would call you not even an hour before I was supposed to go in saying they didn't need me. And that happened more times than I was supposed to actually work.
    I went to school for photography and thought it'd be an okay job to get experience photographing kids. But instead they put me as sales associate - and probably the only sales associate. They didn't spend much time "training" so any time I was dealing with customers and wasn't sure of prices and/or packages I felt like more of a burden or nuisance asking my manager questions.

Advice to Management

It'd help if new employees were actually trained. Actually train them to photograph and do sales. You get pigeonholed and there's no way out. They definitely treat the new people like new people. I felt like I stuck out "like a sore thumb" even though I've had many years experience in photography.

7. "Not a Good Place to Work If You Like Consistent Management"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX

I worked at Picture People part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a photographer, I learned a lot of technique and how to shoot in a studio setting. Learned a lot about posing and other important technical photography skills. Was really easy to gain regular customers who were familiar with you and gain a report with them.

Cons

The management, from the Studio Manager up to the CEO, constantly changed protocol and procedure on the sales and photography side, making it very difficult to meet the standards of the company. I worked there for almost a year and had policy change on me about 4 times, just when we would adjust to the previous standards. This job is revolving door of co workers. Most new hires didn't last 2 months, the shortest was a week. This is because the hours are very feast or famine. I would go from working 11 - 12 hour shifts everyday to not being called in for weeks. Also, if you work here screen your calls. I had my phone go off almost every single day I had off asking me to come in. The job is not worth the amount of trouble, especially when you're being hassled by the management and the customers. Also, the company has declared bankruptcy, just in case you wanted to know.

Advice to Management

CONSISTENCY. It's really hard to meet standards when they're a moving target. I worked at two studios and the policy was different at each one, causing trouble when customers would come in from one studio and try to do something that we were told was against corporate policy.

8. "Photographer"

Former Employee - Photographer in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Lombard, IL

I worked at Picture People part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Children. Long breaks ,was in a mall, cameras were nice, also nice studio

Cons

Everything. Staff is unorganized, managers are rude and dont care about your well being, and the overall place is toxic to work. Very bad energy.

Advice to Management

Get better people to manage

9. "Stay away! Toxic environment and overall horrible place to work."

Former Employee - Studio Associate in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in Lombard, IL

I worked at Picture People part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time goes by fast when it's busy.
    You really bond with families within those 20 minute sessions.
    Lots of hours during holiday.
    Most employees are great.
    Learn how to work with children.

Cons

Way too many cons. Upper-management is rude and disrespectful.
    Training was a joke. You learn as you go.
    You only have 20 minutes for each session and most of the time, the children will NOT listen to you so you'll run longer and get in trouble for it.
    We were usually understaffed when it was busy.
    If we were overstaffed when it was dead, we would have to walk around the mall and literally drag people inside the store and force them into a session.
    We have to tell people unrealistic waiting times for sessions, orders, viewing times, etc,and have to then deal with them once they get annoyed for waiting so long.
    During the holidays shifts could be 12+ hours.
    Way too stressful for such little pay.
    Will cut your hours with no warning. You'll just get called off for the day.
    You have to sell sell sell everything. You're pushing a $600 package on every single customer and annoy them about it when most customers have coupons and groupons and aren't willing to spend anything more.
    If you're not upselling, you're going to get lectured.
    Editing software is a joke.

Advice to Management

Hire new upper-management with patience and the ability to train employees.

10. "Okay place to start"

Former Employee - Associate/Photographer in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Associate/Photographer in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

My manager was great. She always worked with me.

Cons

A lot of the policies make it difficult to work effectively

Advice to Management

Make irethere are at least two employees at al times. There were many times I was alone and overwhelmed during a rush