PictureFrames.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Lauri Feinsod

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"On the cusp of greatness"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC

I have been working at PictureFrames.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome community, an honest desire to build a business on people's shoulders rather than their backs -- and in a conscious, progressive manner. The leadership wants the company to be different, to set us apart both in ethos and product.

Cons

Struggling to figure out which route to follow to the next waypoint. It's an established company of a certain size looking to break into the next tier, and it's having trouble figuring out where to invest resources to get there. The resulting flux can lead to a sense of indecision and aimlessness, but I think the company's simply at one of those messy transition points between adolescence and adulthood, struggling with the same challenges most companies in its position have to tackle.

It's actually kind of neat to be able to say that about a 50-year-old company. 50 years on, and it still feels like a startup in many ways.

PictureFrames.com Response

Aug 1, 2017 – VP of Brand and Communications

Thanks so much for your feedback -- and for choosing to be part of our work family for the last 3+ years. And thank you for the acknowledgement of our conscious business practices (in which we take a... More

2. "GREAT company with HORRIBLE management in Customer Service"

I worked at PictureFrames.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The awesome part are the employees. Seeing new art everyday is a huge plus. Benefits and pay are above average.

Cons

Management in customer care department is HORRIBLE!! The direction the customer care department is going in is crash and burn. They hire people, who give false impressions of who they actually are and don't have a clue as to what they are doing. The President is so disconnected with what needs to happen with the company because he is NEVER there. Then when he is there is does not respect others opinions. 401k is shaky.

Advice to Management

Learn what being leader of an organization truly means. HR should be a safe open place and it is NOT. Hire people in management that know how to lead a team and not just supervise. Dress code should be business casual for management at least. You waste time and money hiring people and not training them to know the job they are managing.

3. "Post-college grads: get a year of experience, then bounce"

I worked at PictureFrames.com full-time

Pros

Their HR department makes sure you get your paychecks on time. Benefits, though awful, are offered for full time employees. Most people there are nice.

Cons

Everything you need to know about this business and how it "runs": leaders insist on sinking massive amounts of time and money into their catalog, instead of fixing their broken, horrendous website. You know, the ONE thing an internet based company needs. Yeah.

Also. Disorganization, bizarre changes in manager/leaders every few months, promoting people literally because they just need a warm body in a role because others quit out of frustration. I heard they once even asked employees to post positive reviews on this site. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Advice to Management

Pay LIVING WAGES. People will continue to flee like rats off a sinking ship as long as you continue to value profits over people. Stop spending time writing "cool" overly-photoshopped Facebook posts no one reads and spend more time fixing the company.

"Run away now!"

Former Employee - Slave in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Slave in High Point, NC

I worked at PictureFrames.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people who worked there and some that still work there because of the benefits. The amount of paid vacation is good, but I'm sure they will change that soon.

Cons

Each year the benefits get slimmer and reduced. Pay increases are few and far between. The amount of hours worked and times change pretty frequently to accommodate work available, which is a hassle with some peoples schedule. Regardless of work load amount, someone always has to stay behind because some customer was promised something. Customer care is way too nice to rude & lying customers giving product away. This also makes the floor employee look bad which is not a true reflection of the employees quality. Management has been caught lying about what happened to employees. They love the phrase "They are just no longer with the company". People talk. We are not stupid and we know what happened. Certain employees seem to be exempt and special. For example, there a couple of employees (they have been there a while) that are favorites and could get away with murder. Even after numerous complaints and seeing issues first hand, nothing was done. And they just keep getting worse. There is a lot of families that work there. I think that's fine if they remain in completely different departments. Some couples have been to show favoritism to each other. There is no family over family directly, but it is still possible. This also allows home issues inside work. These two things should be kept separate. I've also seen jealously create issues.

Advice to Management

Don't make decisions out of spite, that's childish. Treat everyone equally (this should be common sense). Don't keep secrets or lie, this is a business, not a middle school. Inform the people of changes you are making. Especially if it affects them directly. Do not offer a "Winterfest". This makes the employees work additional hours to make up for the time they missed and this also makes some of the employees uncomfortable.

"Not For The Faint of Heart"

I worked at PictureFrames.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlike any company I've ever worked for before. Innovative, creative, and inspired. Woman owned and 100% zero landfill. This is definitely a company that doesn't follow the rules. It writes them!

Cons

If you're afraid of hard work, this job and this company is not for you. The expectations are clear and they're rigorous. But you will never be asked to do something that everyone in the company, from CEO down, isn't already doing. (Plus the benefit of working hard is playing hard and they do that too!)

Advice to Management

It's relatively easy to become successful and infinitely more difficult to maintain it. Keep doing what you're doing. Communication is powerful and you make the most of it. Keep doing it. Even when you think it's too much. It's actually what sets the company apart from all the competition.

"Wonderful place to grow and learn!"

I have been working at PictureFrames.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great family atmosphere that fosters creativity and allows every employee the opportunity to reach their highest potential. I love coming to work everyday.

Cons

Sometimes their aren't enough hours in the day!

"Decent place to work if you don't want to move ahead"

Former Employee - Customer Care in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Care in High Point, NC

I worked at PictureFrames.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow co-workers were awesome and created a fun environment to work in, despite the list of cons you're about to see. The only reason I stayed on as long as I did was for my co-workers.

Cons

Management in the customer service department is often times clueless and plays favorites with reps regarding workflow assignment.

Management does not offer semi-annual / annual reviews. There is no raise structure in place. They also have a bad habit of promising the world and not delivering. I was basically promoted and then not paid for the work I was given while other reps who made a dollar + more an hour than I did got to sit and watch youtube all day.

Delegation of duties is lopsided and leaves 20% of the team doing 80% of the work.

They ask you to lie to customers about privacy and data management, which leaves you feeling grimy if you have a moral compass.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees.

Instituted an annual / semi-annual review / performance structure.

Audit middle management to ensure work flow is being delegated fairly to prevent burn out from strong employees.

"Clueless at the helm"

I worked at PictureFrames.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse and dedicated workers who have created a family atmosphere. Culture established by first generation ownership still alive, but is on life support. Has strong core of stalwarts that keep the doors open and business running.

Cons

Second generation ownership is completely out of touch with their own workplace. Cannot make it into office more than once or twice a month. Thin veneer of world class workplace, bunker mentality makes it look like 2009 all over again. Company is purging experienced workers in effort to cut costs and improve morale.

Advice to Management

Sell business to experienced local manufacturing/e-commerce entrepreneur, then take the money and pursue what you really want to be doing.

"Customer service agent"

I worked at PictureFrames.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on frames and coworkers

Cons

I found the company to be racist and not fair in assigning job functions, schedules based on seniority. A lot of favoritism

"Hopeless management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC

I worked at PictureFrames.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They succeed in spite of themselves. The foundation of the company works due to a legacy staff that really does care abut quality.

Cons

A cheerlading culture that is 1980's in its inpiration and 1880's in its application. A hoplessly outdated and uninformed managment structure that makes bad choices and just sqeeks by by luck. Really a typical second generation firm, with all the down sides of a nepotistic company.

Advice to Management

SELL!