Pier 1 Imports Assistant Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Alasdair James
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 299 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 99 reviews)

1. "Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far Pier 1 has been a great place to work for. They have an extensive training program and pretty decent Benefits Package as well. Starting pay was more than reasonable and getting hours have been no problem at all. Great work environment. Management is always op[en to suggestions and actions implements them. They have also started education benefits. Definitely planning on staying with this company longterm

Cons

No cons so far.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products to work with

Cons

They do nothing to address bad upper management that causes people to quit

Advice to Management

Upper Management at the company does not listen to complaints. When there was an issue in my region several people in store management called to discuss with hr and nothing was ever done. It made a lot of employees in both management and associate level unhappy and caused many to leave.

3. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albany, GA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the product. The custmers were always great and the people I worked with were a great group of people.

Cons

The pay could have been better. Floor sets at night.

4. "Great Environment and Fabulous Coworkers"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the atmosphere and the people I work with. We are all one big family, and that is hard to find in the workplace. The customers are nice and love the brand just as much as we do! I have been with the company almost 8 years now, and I have had several different 2nd jobs that were nowhere near like Pier1.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement is almost absent. I began 8 years ago as a Sales Associate, and am now Assistant Store Manager for going on 2 years now. It seems that in order for me to move up now, I will have to relocate to another city/state, which is not an option for me right now. The hours for associates that really put in the work are not good. They get no more than 8-12 hours a week. Pay is good, with chance for a yearly raise depending on employee performance. I also feel like there is too much pressure surrounding the credit card. Selling strategies have seemed to change from delivering a great customer experience to pushing a credit card in customers faces.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on printing useless information and spend it on the associates who work in brick and mortar stores selling product that makes this company money.

"Run for the hills"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products and sales associates

Cons

Management (corporate and certain store managers) are shady, they play favorites, violate so many safety and DOL laws, their store is physically falling apart and is dangerous. Pay is too low for the amount of hard manual labor you will be forced to do. Corporate is a mess and is way behind in store technology and e-commerce. There is no growth for management and if you are not the regionals "pet", your life will be made into a retail hell. I can't emphasize enough if you are applying for a management position, GO ANYWHERE ELSE! You will be in for a terrible surprise if you accept their (low ball) of an offer

Advice to Management

clean house of all the underperforming store managers who have a ton of complaints from associates and customers, take employee concerns and feedback seriously, don't play favorites, clean your store up and fix them so there aren't 5+ injuries occurring in the store within one year, offer better employee incentives & deal with your issues in a timely, professional manner- not sweep everything under the rug and let it mount up until everything is chaotic. VET YOUR MANAGEMENT!!!! Just because they have seniority doesn't mean they are doing a good job

"Assistant store manager"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Blaine, MN

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, fun environment, no over time required (usually) great company for anyone in the retail management field. They provide you with tons of problem solving material for any issue that you may encounter. All members of management seem to be "lifers".

Cons

Late nights for transitions or early mornings, lack of a consistent schedule even for a retail job. Physically exhausting at times. Get ready for a work out! Tons of often redundant and arbitrary policies you have to learn, enforce and abide by. Tons of pressure to sell the pier 1 card and their loyalty program, neither of which seem to rival comparable benefit programs of their competitors.

7. "Asst. Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many repeat customers are great.

Cons

Need to pay people better to get better people!

"For the right person"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pier 1 had a great training program for management which really prepares you for a future outside of retail. The company culture was great. Quick turnaround for merchandise which kept things fresh and exciting.

Cons

In my experience, any management position at Pier 1 is not conducive to having children. It just does not provide any flexibility for sick children, doctor appointments, etc. I'm not talking about the "unreasonable" either. For someone with the right lifestyle, this job offers tremendous opportunity. You won't find work/life balance here if you are trying to juggle a family. And forget being pregnant! It's almost impossible to perform your job balancing a pregnancy as management is rather inflexible as to scheduling extra support so you don't have to be on ladders, loading furniture, etc.

Advice to Management

Prioritize your long-standing employees and support them through life transitions. A little accommodation can go a long way for employees who have been there for several years.

"All in all a good place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work atmosphere.
    Always something to learn.
    Always something to do.
    Great employee discount.

Cons

The expectation of associates and managers does not match the pay.
    Starting pay is lower than some fast food chains.
    Because the company is not investing in the right things, work is extremely physical and often dangerous.
    No consideration for those who are limited physically or even pregnant.

Advice to Management

Treat your people well. Theyre not seeing appreciation in the form of their checks so they got to get it from somewhere.

"I love almost everything about Pier 1 Imports"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very rewarding to get to help people and fun. Leading and training is made easy by utilizing company provided materials. Also, I like that Pier 1 asks for our input and they are utilizing our suggestions

Cons

Not thrilled about pay scale, especially with the amount of years experience I have

Advice to Management

People's experience from previous employers should count and be more carefully considered to determine rate of pay