Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales Leader"

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Portland, OR

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a retail job, working at Pier1 can actually be fun. Most of the people are great. Helping customers with decorating needs and seeing all the new seasonal decor is really fun. I learned a lot about coaching associates. You have a lot of opportunity to influence your sales numbers, customer acquisition (to Pier1's loyalty programs), etc. and you get a monthly bonus as the sales leader if your store exceeds it's sales goals.

Cons

Pay is low for a management position. Management has a high rate of turnover and my store was not very organized. There is a lot of theft in the Portland area, which can be stressful to deal with. If you're a hard worker, a lot of the workload will probably be dumped on you. I am sure it's not like that at every store, but at mine it was.

Advice to Management

Retain and promote employees that have been with the company for a long time and are actually invested in it. Enforce good HR/hiring practices within stores. When stores don't plan for inevitable turnover, new/inadequate people are hired out of desperation and the rest of the team suffers for it. Try to keep management teams together. Every time you put a new store manager into place, they want to reorganize the store and do things "their way" and it's difficult on associates when we have to switch gears all the time. In a four month period, I witnessed an entire store's floor plan changing just to have it revert back again when the interim store manager left and a new manager came in. It was a total waste of time and meanwhile, the store was a complete mess.

Overall I really enjoyed working for Pier1 and I felt valued as an employee, especially by Pier1's corporate office. It was awesome to be given 40% discount days during the holidays and for all associates to be given incentives for hitting IC and sales goals. As a sales leader, the incentives were even better. It's great that you give associates the incentives to be invested in our stores' sales numbers, etc.

"Great training programs."

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management gets a lot of sales and merchandising training which is extremely useful to take into other jobs in the future

Cons

The hours and pay can be a little lacking, and at least in my experience they overwork salaried managers to the point where they're too burnt out to actually contribute to the team.

Advice to Management

Schedule longer shifts for store associates and pay your team better.

3. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Sales in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in College Station, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great teamwork, fun, allows for creativity

Cons

High sales expectations with punitive measures taken if they are not met each week

Advice to Management

The training opportunities helped quite a bit and were great resources for learning how to effectively interact with customers.

"DC Supervisor"

Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is competitive. The job is easy if you want to just show up everyday, do your work, and collect a paycheck.

Cons

Upper management team is a joke. They do not backup their supervisors. They also do not try new programs or projects to make the building better. They just address issues when they arise, put a bandaid on it and go back to normal. There is high turnover among the associates, because they do not pay their labor enough. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Don't work for them, you will go crazy with the amount of HR issues and racial preference the HR team shows.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, short shifts, fun coworkers, can be an encouraging environment. Helps you gain useful interior design and visual merchandise experience.

Cons

Opening up the store credit cards can be a draining with no reward except for brownie points and occasional contests. Their goal is to have the customer hear about the card within 3 times of their shopping experience. That part of it can get catty and stressful with coworkers, which can be a lot to bear for a slightly over minimum wage job.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the talent you have instead of breathing down their throats. The management can really make or break the experience. When you treat your employees as more than just a number or a tool to drive sales, they will be more likely to drive those sales. I worked there for 5 years and received an "associate of the quarter" reward, had seniority, and went above and beyond, but i was given $1.15 within that time. It seems like its very hard to get a decent raise unless you are a shift lead. Depending on which store you're a part of, those positions can be pretty locked in.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products to work with

Cons

They do nothing to address bad upper management that causes people to quit

Advice to Management

Upper Management at the company does not listen to complaints. When there was an issue in my region several people in store management called to discuss with hr and nothing was ever done. It made a lot of employees in both management and associate level unhappy and caused many to leave.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Clarksville, TN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Clarksville, TN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well structured company that cares for employees. Great hours and managers that care.

Cons

None that I can think of.

8. "Great Home Office Team"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Good benefits
    Fun/Friendly coworkers
    Nice work environment

Cons

As with all retail, the workload is heavier during the holiday season

9. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance for a retail store.

Cons

Not enough growth opportunity past a store manager level.
    Poor pay compare to other retailers

10. "Overall: Not a bad start."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours. The job is easy to learn. Pay is above minimum wage most of the time.

Cons

Pay is only slightly above minimum and raises are rare. Lots of drama. Management can play favorites.

Showing 1,589 of 1,597 reviews