Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Alasdair James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Credit Card application expectations (in 306 reviews)

• Part time employees don't want to work this hard for the pay they receive (in 104 reviews)

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Building loyal customers and select merchandise

Cons

HR doesn't support SM's with on going issues in the building. The regional manager breaks down the morale of SM's, like myself. The fact that the HR dept doesn't recognize this as an on going issue. Eight veteran SM have left the company due to her leadership. I believe in loyalty and promoting within, rather than hiring from companies.
    The task that are expected to be completed with the hours given aren't reasonable at times. The pay isn't enough for all of the manual labor and the affects of our bodies down the road. My store hasn't had video surveillance for the past 6 years. How is that fair to anyone in the building, including customers.

Advice to Management

Treat all team members the same. Provide support rather than bringing others down. Don't go on vacation when your stores in the region are falling apart.

"Think twice of working for Pier 1"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, working with customers, casual dress code, employee discounts

Cons

Regional Managers unethical

HR departments do not respond to reported issues within stores

Regional Managers do NOT promote within, hire externals for management positions

Salaries are low, compared to other retailers

Regional Managers are NOT held accountable for their unprofessional actions

Advice to Management

Promoting high potiential management candidates would control the high turn over and loosing high potiential candidates because of hiring externals.

"Sales Associate"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

the discount is the only Pro

Cons

Think again, management works you like a dog while they sit in the office

Advice to Management

Treat your associates better and give better pay

4. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than a year)

Pros

Discount gets doubled a few times a year, which is cool. Had an awesome team at my location but they were insanely undervalued by upper management.

Cons

Low pay, only 2 FT positions and no or allowed. All real
    Work needs to be done by the salaried Manager. Terrible support from district managers and regional team.

Raises and store success revolve around credit applications opened. Their motto is “don’t stop at the first no.”

5. "I wouldn't recommend this to anyone"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newburgh, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newburgh, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount is alright, fellow associates were super nice and fun to be around, i enjoyed getting to know some of the regular customers.

Cons

The manager at my store was abusive to me and everyone who worked there. she cut me to 4 hours a week simply because she didn't like me. Practically begging the customers to sign up for the Pier 1 card isn't practical .the products were cheaply made and overpriced. the customer service people who we had to call on occasion were rude and refused to help us simply because " they didn't feel like it". the schedules are never flexible which made me miss out on family holidays and the funeral of a family member.

Advice to Management

For as much as you charge for your products you could really stand to pay your employees more. Stop hiring new people when you are only giving your employees (who have been working for you for 10+ months) only 4 hours a week, that's just flat out wrong. The manager at the store i worked at was awful and has the track record of making up nasty lies about me and many others who worked there. She took 2 months off because she was "sick" which left the other stores near us to send us extra help since she was gone for so long, the only upside to that instance was when the manager was gone everyone was in a better mood and sales were higher. The manager has a composition notebook called "pier 1 issues" where she writes down everything that's wrong with the people who work there. I really wanted to keep working for you but the manager made it impossible to be there without wanting to scream. I've left the company, I don't ever plan on working for you again unless the issues are fixed ( like terrible managers, getting 4 hours a week and underpayment)
    The issues with the manager made it really hard to enjoy what i did, i did enjoy working there at first but then it turned sour.

6. "Assistant manager"

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work for the company is childish and if you want to feel like your in high school you will. The managers and the company has no people skills and the training they give you is HORRIBLE. The only thing I enjoyed is their furniture and the gorgeous stuff they carry, otherwise run and keep going. They treat you bad and give you nothing and return. It's a lack of people to cover the store and they don't care.

Cons

It has beautiful things only.

Advice to Management

Go through some intense training so you would know how to treat people and hire people that know what they are doing

7. "Safety is an issue."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hemet, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hemet, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is excellent. And if you can only work minimal hours, this job is for you.

Cons

Safety is not taken seriously at Pier 1. You are expected to climb up ladders higher than standard ladder safety guidelines, while lifting large, heavy awkward items. The back room was disorganized with furniture stacked on top of furniture. Back issues are common amongst pier 1 employees, but back braces are not standard issue. Management (at least at my particular store) is not concerned about employee safety.
    Unfortunately, management at my store was particularly problematic. My manager was rude, self serving and quite frankly uneducated in basic written and verbal language skills. She has major trouble coping with employee mistakes, or taking responsibility for the lack of training to cause the mistakes in the first place. She has put down employees and belittled them in front of other employees as well as customers. Its disheartening, creates low morale, and is emotionally exhausting. I didn't even realize how miserable I was until I left for a much more rewarding position somewhere else.

Advice to Management

The store I worked at just needs a new manager. Preferably one with a reading level higher than a 3rd grader.

"Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing that has come of this job for me is my co workers and the ability to use creativity

Cons

I am paid as a sales associate yet does all the tranisitions moving extremely heavy furniture, peds, putting in shelves moving merchandise.. i do markdowns, and freight.. almost every time i leave work i have some sort of injury and they expect this much? To be paid under ten dollars an hour? Ive worked here for 2 years. My first raise was 12 cents. My second raise was 23 cents. Upper management does not care about the employees what so ever while their markup of products is basically 100 percent they are so money hungry that they could care less who actually makes the sale and who puts things together in the store. VERY phsycial job.. VERY underpaid. Have had to report 2 injuries now to workers comp. Also, they try their very hardest not to give any associates full time hours so they cant recieve benefits. Give them a wage they deserve, and hours they deserve.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees.. they work their butts off so you can make money. We are where the sale starts and ends, and we make it happen.

"Abusive and underpaid"

Current Employee - Receiving Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Receiving Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and fun merchandise

Cons

Abusive, manipulating management and underpaid for the work being done

Advice to Management

Do not treat your hard working employees like dirt.

10. "Assistant Store Manager"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll never get fired unless you're caught stealing.

Cons

Hard work for little pay.

No room for advancement.

Their merchandise is ordered directly from the warehouse and not the store. If you have a 53 foot truck full of merchandise, you have to MAKE it fit in your store, no matter what room you have. The store has no control over the ordering of stock.

The quality of merchandise is poor. Things break and get fixed or touched-up to look like it's a $600 product, which instead should be a $100 product.

You'll get paid more at other retailers. Dime raises each year if you do hard work. Everyone gets the same amount of raises, unless you're management.

Quotas on opening high-interest credit cards.

Their CEO and President both resigned within 6 months of each other, with minimal notice. We were without the #1 and #2 spot and our stocks were heading south. We closed dozens of stores around the US. It does not look good for Pier 1 Imports.

Advice to Management

Raise the starting pay! Michigan is paying minimum wage to their employees and giving them 10 cent raises yearly. That's ridiculous!

Showing 194 of 1,716 reviews