Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Alasdair James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 299 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 99 reviews)

1. "Pier 1 Imports should hold higher standards"

Former Employee - Hourly
    Former Employee - Hourly

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pier 1 believes in rewarding associates with Associate Appreciation week - 2x a year.

Cons

Pier 1 Imports has a tendency to overlook management that has the skills, but lack being personable. Unfortunately, HR does not support associates if higher management intervenes. There is little to no trust with the HR department. It does not matter what is stated. Just take a look at the turn overs. It is sad to know that management is not held to the same standard as everyone else. It has and probably always will be difficult for associates to advance when managers find ways to hinder. Favoritism hurts the drive of all who wants more out of life.

Advice to Management

I continued to voice my concerns during the surveys which are held twice a year. I encouraged the HR team to conduct diversity meetings for managers and make it mandatory. You say you want the best for associates, but the management team never proves it.

2. "Not the best place to work."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workers i work with are lovely and patient with me. the discount is very helpful and i love the things we sell. the assistant store manager is a lovely and amazing lady she is super fun to work with and she and the sales leader are super patient with me and the other who need extra help on occasion.

Cons

The manager i have is not the best, they have a tendency to make up lies about me and the assistant manager and who knows who else. One day i was supposed to come into work and i was running a super high fever from stress and i called out sick and i've called out a handful of times for family emergencies or because my health i'snt doing well . Is that such a bad thing? that i'm calling out because my friend died or i'm running a high fever and i'm throwing up.
    I've been getting 4 hours a week for the past 3 weeks. The schedules are NOT flexible in this store, i was trying to balance a second job and i couldn't do it because the manager wasn't being flexible even though she said she was. the only way i could fix schedule conflicts with both jobs was by going to the assistant manager and asking them ( they did it without issue!)
     I have put in a 2 week notice of resignation because i get treated poorly by the manager and i deserve better, at least one other person is leaving for that reason too. I feel bullied and treated poorly by the Store Manager. I look forward to days where i don't have to work with them.

Advice to Management

Don't bring in new Employees and give them more hours than the people you have working there who have been working there for months. Don't bully your employees to the point where they go into their car and have a break down ( this happened to me after getting into my car after we closed). Don't bully your employees to the point where they're crying on the sales floor( this has happened 2 times) . Just be nicer and more patient with the people you have working for you ( some of us have autism and bipolar disorder). Keep in mind that some of your employees may have learning disorders and mental disorders, i'm one of these people. Be more patient with these people who need extra attention and a bit more help than others. This is really coming from a mental health perspective because my mental health has been failing lately because of this job and the way I've been treated by this manager.

"DC Supervisor"

Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is competitive. The job is easy if you want to just show up everyday, do your work, and collect a paycheck.

Cons

Upper management team is a joke. They do not backup their supervisors. They also do not try new programs or projects to make the building better. They just address issues when they arise, put a bandaid on it and go back to normal. There is high turnover among the associates, because they do not pay their labor enough. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Don't work for them, you will go crazy with the amount of HR issues and racial preference the HR team shows.

4. "Pier 1 Sales Associate - Seasonal Hire"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Employee discount
    Mostly 4 hour shifts

Cons

Work holidays
    Flex shifts - you would be scheduled to work but had to call in 2 hours before for management to let you know if you needed to come in or not
    Flex shifts would also be scheduled for immediately after a regular shift so sometimes you would need to stay an additional 4 hours
    Limited training provided on products
    Heavy emphasis on selling Pier 1 credit cards - almost all of performance reviews were based on this

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products to work with

Cons

They do nothing to address bad upper management that causes people to quit

Advice to Management

Upper Management at the company does not listen to complaints. When there was an issue in my region several people in store management called to discuss with hr and nothing was ever done. It made a lot of employees in both management and associate level unhappy and caused many to leave.

6. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Good team. Decent environment. Reasonable dress code.

Cons

Short shifts, low pay, a lot of inventory in a small space.

7. "Doesn't pay well at all!"

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Although, I may think Pier 1 doesn't pay well I did learn a tremendous amount from my peers and colleagues! This company expects a ton from you which I believe has prepared me for my other job adventures. There is always something to do when working your shift, not a lot of down time.

Cons

They expect way too much from you, which the pay does not match by any means. You have shipment to process and merchandise onto sales floor, markdowns, transitions which are not easy, and other events.

Advice to Management

The management team I worked with were great, always praised when a job well done and gave us feedback when needed. I always felt appreciated by my boss, but not by the company, after working there for quite a few years and I had another job offer they couldn't even match what or give more which turned me off.

8. "Don't bother"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous Discount, friendly co-workers, fun

Cons

Low quality merchandise, inconsistent direction, overall company identity crisis

Advice to Management

Support the people who care about the company

9. "manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

stock plan used to match 50/100

Cons

poor medical plan for this day and age

Advice to Management

Treat managers like the managers were in the 80"s

10. "Sales Lead"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Can offer flexibility with one's work schedule (good if you are attending school full-time)

Cons

Extremely difficult to advance one's career in the company;
    Raises were very rare (usually annually but raises were extremely small)

Advice to Management

Stop moving store managers around as frequently as it happens. Hire/promote motivated people who enjoy Pier 1 Imports.

Showing 272 of 1,620 reviews