Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Alasdair James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Dont work here full time with any hopes or aspirations"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

It is good for part time work that is brainless and will benefit you with a flexible schedule.

Cons

They cheat you out of overtime. Can you imagine working 24 to 26 hours in two days and then not getting paid overtime for the week?

Advice to Management

Pay your overtime fairly. Pay your employees. Give them real benefits, you cheap bastards!

"Lack of Training"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

Pros

It's relatively low-pressure, and I did like the fact that you get to make displays of the products. That small dose of creativity was fun.

Cons

I wasn't fully trained on the register -- I started the 50 page training book and then had to stop a quarter of the way through when I was asked to do something else. And never got to go back to it. I know it seems like the register is a no-brainer, but you had to reserve and order furniture from other stores and look up product info, and it was not intuitive. So when I needed help doing these things, my supervisors always seemed burdened by my requests! Not to mention customers didn't appreciate how long it took.

Advice to Management

Taking one six hour shift to fully train an employee would ultimately save so much time, money, and annoyance for everyone. I can't understand why they don't do this.

"Pier 1 employee experience (largely negative, if you care to read)"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Midland, TX

Pros

Personally I found management to be very competent at least at store level. however, the District Manager was unrealistic .

Cons

The wages were very low considering the wage market even for retail, Due to the Oil economy, Midland really did not suffer throughout the recession, the highest unemployment rate in five years has been about 7.5%. Hours were assigned, mostly based on favoritism on behalf of management, of course that is typical in a small retail setting. Pier 1 stock has suffered recently, expect greater cuts in wages and benefits (we even had R.O. water taken away in order to save a few dollars). Pier 1 will likely suffer as competition from Target continues, Target can easily force Pier 1 to shut down if it decides to expand its global imports niche (global bazaar).

Advice to Management

because most Pier 1 stores are rather small retail outlets, the value of the individual sales associate is far greater than that of "Big Box" stores

"Worst Place to work ever!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

Pros

(Some) decent merchandise to buy.

Cons

Management treated as a expendable resource. They do nothing to try to keep and/or retain their employees and offer no clear expectations when under review. I was part of a "downsizing" of payroll that included my paygrade being reduced and then being put on a "plan". Needless to say I would think again and warn anyone who would want to work for this company. The president is all about making sure that the stockholders are happy, all the while cutting jobs and salaries and keeping his huge mandatory bonus he gets every year.

Advice to Management

Find a new job where the company respects and takes care of it's employees.

"Unpleasant"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

Pros

The employee discount is the best benefit

Cons

Sales Associates are not respected as valuable assets to the team;
    There is very definitely favortism for certain associates;
    Physically demanding work for low pay;
    Creativity not encouraged;
    Hours are very sporadic;

Advice to Management

Senior management; HR should find a way to communicate with store-level employees, since these are the folks on the front line, greeting the customers.

"it was the worst etail company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

The only reaso to work for Pier 1 is the product.

Cons

senior mgt thought they were all that.
    employees were always wrong
    compensation was very poor
    benefits not competitive

7. "unpleasant at best"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisonburg, VA

Pros

Semi flexible scheduling and reasonable work hours

Cons

awful pay, favoritism given to employees that have no skills, incompetent management

Advice to Management

stop favoritism and give fair treatment, stop gossiping in the workplace

"A lot of work for very little in return"

Pros

relaxed dress code
    proximity to where I live

Cons

Management blurs the line between personal and professional, certain members of staff shouldn't know managements personal problems, either post them to all or be quiet about them.

Forced to follow customers around especially those that seem to "fit" a stereotype of a shoplifter.

Forced to offer a CREDIT card as a REWARDS card and not being able to tell the customer the apr which is 24.99 or 25.99

New hires come in at a higher salary than those who have worked for a year or more.

One could go on, the point is that Pier1 has an attitude that the employees are lucky to have a job, the more pressing question for Pier1 to consder that IF a new retail establishment were to open who treated employees fairly, paid a decent wage with raises that amounted to something, how many of your employees would you have left?

Four hours a day because Pier 1 says that some study has shown that people are unproductive after four hours of work, funny how that logic flys out the window when you are needed in a pinch.

As for the discount, keep it, pay me better, offer health insurance and I will buy the goods I want just like any other customer.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, and keep your personal life to yourself, one shouldn't poop where they eat.
    Stop following and spying on your employees while on the floor.
    Stop asking us to lie to customers about the Pier 1 CREDIT card

9. "No real training for seasonal employees and no respect with WAY too many Flex days!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL

Pros

The 25% discount for the overpriced items.

Cons

Minimal training and support, no respect. Some sales leaders are very rude to seasonal emloyees-nobody wants to take the time to train on the register. Plus given too many flex days and not enough actual hours worked. Expect sales people to be too pushy!

Advice to Management

Hire seasonal sales associates earlier in the season and work register with support before it gets too crazy! People who have been there are too afraid a new person will steal thier hours from them. It's not really a fun place to work with only four hour shifts and not in a row-the store displays change so frequently you can't help customers find items. BAD experience!!!

"You can do better than Pier 1 Imports."

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff are friendly people to work with

Cons

Low pay, micro managed, company expects the world of the employees, but refuse to allot the correct number of hours to get the work done, customers come before employees.

Advice to Management

It may be helpful for the managers to stop focusing on the negative i.e. (we did not make our number for the last hr.) and focus on what has been done to improve in the stores. Also, corporate/manager need to understand that talking down to employees only makes for a hostile work place.

Showing 186 of 1,599 reviews