Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 285 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 96 reviews)

1. "Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX

Pros

Really easy work. Very chill with hardly any rules

Cons

Hot place in summer, gossippy supervisors to other employees, and a whole bunch of drama. Many of the supervisors sleeping with employees. Three of the managers/supervisors on second shift have relationships with several women working there.

2. "Run."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice customers, that's about it.

Cons

Hours suck, coworkers suck, store manager sucks.

Advice to Management

Take your employees illnesses serious

3. "Whole store is a hot mess."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Discount was maybe the best thing.

Cons

Management always played favorites when it came to who would get promoted. The store manager wouldn't take into consideration of people's schedules and schedule shifts for when I wasn't available. It was all about selling the pier 1 card to them. Also, the goal rewards set for the card weren't enough. Expected to get on tall ladders and lift by yourself. Management wouldn't give workers break even if they were working 5 1/2 shifts or more. They would start drama and make a scene in front of coworkers and customers. No raises for a long time before that. No wonder why anybody stayed for long.

Advice to Management

Better store culture. Less about the card and have better products. Most of the products were overpriced. Need to have more competitive pay.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's ever changing! That can be good and bad because you really don't know where you stand from 1 day to the next.

Cons

HR runs the show! Executive and Senior Leadership team have been there too long. Changes need to be made. Raises and bonuses are low. The medical benefits are ok. NO Work/life balance! Every year, there are lay offs.

"Great for stay at home moms who want to get out the house."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to meet decent people.
    Job security.
    25% off discount. (Includes sale and clearance items, but not as is or final sale items.)

Discloser: The second manager I had was actually really cool and we're still in touch. She ended up quitting because she was an interim manager for like a year and they refused to make her a permanent employee. She has been the best manager that I've ever had and Pier 1 made a really bad move for letting her go.

Cons

I've worked at Pier 1 for a little over a year so bare with me here, I have quite a bit to say.

This was my first job so I didn't really know what to expect. I was fresh out of highschool and niave.

-The first manager I had never made a file for me so it became a nightmare when I transferred to another store.

-The manager would guilt you into buying merchandise so she wouldn't have bad numbers.

-Management staff would sit in the stock room the entire shift and play on their phones, and be upset when you needed something.

-Management was very cliqueish and would talk bad about you behind your back.

-Managers would talk bad about customers in front of other customers and call them names.

-Manager refused to give employees their discount card so they could only buy from that store.

-Assistant manager ripped a lady drivers license out of my hands in front of the customer so she could run the application for a credit card and get the commission.
    (The "commission" was like $2 that you could only use at the store.)

-My first manager called my second manager after I transferred to tell her how horrible I was even though I had already showed the new manager that I was a good employee.

-Management pressured us into having an open schedule all the time and we're made to feel bad if we were sick or wanted a weekend off.

-Management told us to harass customers about singing up for a credit card. We weren't allowed to tell them anything but card rewards and had to keep the interest rate ect. a secret. We were also told to process credit applications twice so it would make the managers numbers look better.

-Managers will promise you 20 hours a week, cut you down to 8, and then expect you to be available to them all the time. And if the store is slow they will cut your hours and send you home early, with out giving you more hours to make up the time you lost.

-Managers ignore your availability when scheduling and then get mad when you can't work that shift.

-Managers are known to change your schedule last minute without notice.

-Management made us use harsh chemicals on the sales floor around families with small children without proper ventilation for anyone.

- My last manager learned I had gotten a new, full time job and tried to guilt me into continuing to work their on my days off. When I declined they started act hostile towards me and made my last few days absolutely miserable.

-They don't give full time positions so they don't have to pay for benefits ect.

-They will make you follow around POC customers because they think they will steal just because they're POC.

-Everyone I have ever worked with have been white or white passing. (This issue resolved a little bit when I transferred to a store in a larger city, but both were equally diverse so there's no excuse.)

-They don't hire from within so it's impossible to move up in the company.

-80% of managers are Interim managers so corporate doesn't have to pay them as much and can bounce them from store to store.

-Corporate doesn't allow enough time for freight, mark downs, or sale transitions.

-Delivery drivers are rough with the product and throw it off the truck, which breaks the products.

-Stock rooms are dangerous, state and federal safety regulations are not followed, nor is training on them given.

-You are expected to break your back while doing freight, to lift and move large furniture that weighs a couple hundred pounds by yourself.

-None of the stores have proper cleaning supplies to clean the bathrooms???

-They don't give out performance reveiws.

Advice to Management

I think you need to fix lower lever management, how management sees their employees, stop being racist, stop forcing a credit card onto customers, and offer better hours with better pay.

7. "Assistant store manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun products and excited customers

Cons

No room for growth, bonus program lacking, customer loyalty program terrible, low pay for REALLY hard work both physically and mentally.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees as they work so you can make your bonus while they receive nothing for meeting sales goals.

8. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Strongsville, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quality Products: Flexible Working Hours

Cons

Unprofessional Managing Operations: Hazardous Environment

Advice to Management

There have been frequent Accidents, like bleeding fingers, because employees are not trained to use any of the tools and the managers don't show instruction videos. The box cutters are hazardous because they do not have a safety on the razor. Many of the sales associates are asked to get up on a six foot ladder and change light bulbs, which is a managers task. The Managers teach the sales associates to make an emotional connection with the customer in order to sell the product. The emotional connection leads to abuse between some of these managers and was already apparent when I first started the job. Abusive language towards employees and threatening or carrying out physical abuse should never be tolerated in a business setting. It is not inviting to the incoming employees and the result is having a high volume of people who quit within a short period of time after first starting date.

9. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other co workers and customers
     were great.

Cons

Very poor management, both Store managers and regional

10. "If you like running in circles this is the place for you!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount and engaging with great clients!

Cons

pay rates for associate, can't hire top talent or keep them. Way too many HR hoops to deal with, no support on many levels.

Advice to Management

pay your field associate and you will maximize sales.

11. "Asst manager"

Pros

Good insurance. That is all.

Cons

Very hard work. Unloading trucks . Climbing 12 ft ladders to put up and take down product. Working till 11 or 12 at night. Back at 8am . No life work balance.

Advice to Management

Be honest during interviews. Tell that it is very hard work.

Showing 176 of 1,528 reviews