Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated February 5, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 280 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 96 reviews)

1. "worst job exPIERence"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

>Good first job
    >Pretty slow, so good for people who has anxiety dealing with a crowd of customers

Cons

>horrible hours and pay. I got paid 30 bucks one month cause the manager refused to give me hours.
    >furniture and merchandise was Always Broken. how are you suppose to sell broken merch??
    >didn't even train/have you shadow anyone, just throws you out there after computer training and expects you to know everything

Advice to Management

respect your coworkers and people underneath you more, along with the customer. I hated how rude our store manager was to everyone.

"Inconsistent"

Former Employee - Interim Store Manager
    Former Employee - Interim Store Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product, customers are amazing and loyal if store team is loyal and attentive to them - we had a some great team players, we were encouraged to"play" with merchandise with our customers - created a fun atmosphere, if you worked in a store that was operated per corporate standards you remained busy.

Cons

As any business there are "bad apples". There aren't avenues or support to make your voice heard. I personally was let down by the company a couple of times. I loved working at Pier One. I have proven myself despite the odds stacked against me a number of times in my old store and left on a high note. The odds against me were of no fault of my own. They just were unfortunately the bad apples. I wasn't going to stay with the company because I had a sick child, a sick parent and a sick mother in law but my "home" store enthusiastically convinced me to stay on minimally as an associate at my new store if they'd allow me. I reached out to the new store and made it clear that's what I wanted and I received a welcoming reply. When I arrived the new store wanted me as a full time ASM. I explained I could bc I of my situation. The store asked me three different times. I was very flattered but I couldn't. I was then told there was no place on the team. I'm very hurt by this. In the end it all depends on the region. I came from an excellent region. This store doesn't hold up to the store I came from. This is true of any job however.

Advice to Management

Be careful how you treat your employees. You will lose some of your best assets. Also you don't know what you may expose yourself to liability wise. There are some definite opportunities on the store level in this regard. There are some exposures regarding HR legal liabilities.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kapolei, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kapolei, HI

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool merchandise. Get to see everything new before its out for sale.

Cons

What should be a simple fun environment is extremely micromanaged. They also do the on call scheduling. I'd be scheduled for 20 hours that week but only end up working 5-10. If the store hasn't made daily sales goal they'll send you home even if you had just started your shift. Waste of gas $!! Inventory and backroom are the worst unorganized mess I've ever seen.

Advice to Management

People don't shop here to be approached and followed like car salesman. Let people browse and worry more about cleaning the clutter in your store and training your employees.

"Pier One"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the greatest people, and different backgrounds.

Cons

Some of the worst management, and absolutely horrible as far as the way they make everything the same throughout the entire company. Some stores aren't like other stores and won't succeed under those ideas. Upper management was extremely poor but thats to be expected with a lot of retail stores.

"Meh..."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

nice co workers, nice(ish) customers, time off when requested in advance

Cons

They force you to sell credit cards and when you don't open credit cards and your store doesn't meet it's quota, corporate will cut your hours. Expect to work part time 18 hours a week and less. Pier 1 is run by a bunch of crusty old people. Stingy dress code. No piercing or tattoos, black pants and solid color tops only. So many quotas that you have to meet: number of credit cards, number of people you get on the email list, number of people you make enter their phone number, number of customers that come into the store vs number of sales you make, number of sales you make to card holders, etc. If you miss the mark on any of these, expect to be chewed out by your manager. Very strict protocol about how you interact with customers. Must phrase sentences with demands, "tell me.." etc. Must ask each customer at least 3 times about the credit card while they are on the floor and then twice more at the register. We are taught not to tell customers that the interest rate of the credit card is 27%. We are taught to lie to customers about the quality of the products. All the wood is fake veneer and "engineered", outdoor chairs with wicker over the base will rust, and we have to damage out goods all the time due to cracks, rips and tears. Pier 1 is very cheap.

P.S. If you're looking to apply, make sure you do really well on the survey because management looks at your score and if it is low, they won't interview you.
    P.P.S. Do not apply if you can't lift heavy furniture or are afraid of climbing on jumbo ladders. They will make you and threaten to fire you if you don't.

7. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Pearland, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I currently have no pros to share

Cons

They do not give you enough payroll to do your job effectively. Hire outside of the company first. No faith in their store managers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your store managers because they know the needs of their store.

8. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southampton, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southampton, NY

Pros

Discount and the flexible schedule

Cons

Minimum wage salary with .12 raises each year! No health insurance. Expect employees to unload delivery truck now that company eliminated the second person on the truck delivery.

Advice to Management

Complain for higher pay for associates. Coordinate amongst yourselves your goals instead of each having independent goals and plans each day at the sore. A lot of wasted time moving stuf from one spot to anothe.

9. "Falls short of expectations"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (Less than a year)

Pros

pleasant work environment , fun work to assist customers in their purchases! Employee discounts are great!

Cons

company policy of associates asking customers to enter telephone number on keypad at cash register before any transactions are done...many customers dislike giving out that info. Management devalue sales help by sending them home before shift is over or completely cutting a scheduled shift few hours before. Always under staffed w customers complaining.

Advice to Management

Management does not value or respect staff ...poor pay

10. "treated horribly"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

Pros

Discount on low quality merchandise

Cons

Talked down to on a daily basis, corporate standing up for management that left people quitting in tears frequently, underpaid for the kind of physical work expected, being lied to and treated like you are worthless. You are forced to harass customers into buying more past them saying no twice, and signing up for the credit card. Three no's from the customer before you can stop. And then management will question your every move. I have never felt more physically and emotionally broken down in my life then my time spent working for Pier1.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like human beings and stop pushing everything so hard, let your incredibly hard working team do their jobs without being harassed on a weekly and daily basis. Harassment is not okay in a work place. Every manager and sales lead needs to be trained how to manage with common human decency and ethical standards, raising people up not braking them down. Not bullying.

"Sales associate"

Pros

The people there are great. Obviously depending on where you work.

Cons

Little by little you started noticing it was less about finding your customers needs and more on how money hungry and ruthless the company is. They're rude. They're mean. My manager would come to me in a panic because no one had opened a pier 1 card that day so now it was my turn to open three. They pay you so little for so much work. It's so much manual labor as well I might as well go into construction or furniture building and get paid more instead of having to work in the heat assembling furniture or using 18ft ladders not feeing safe.

Showing 169 of 1,481 reviews