Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated November 20, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Credit Card application expectations (in 306 reviews)

• Part time employees don't want to work this hard for the pay they receive (in 104 reviews)

1. "Assistant Store Manager"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll never get fired unless you're caught stealing.

Cons

Hard work for little pay.

No room for advancement.

Their merchandise is ordered directly from the warehouse and not the store. If you have a 53 foot truck full of merchandise, you have to MAKE it fit in your store, no matter what room you have. The store has no control over the ordering of stock.

The quality of merchandise is poor. Things break and get fixed or touched-up to look like it's a $600 product, which instead should be a $100 product.

You'll get paid more at other retailers. Dime raises each year if you do hard work. Everyone gets the same amount of raises, unless you're management.

Quotas on opening high-interest credit cards.

Their CEO and President both resigned within 6 months of each other, with minimal notice. We were without the #1 and #2 spot and our stocks were heading south. We closed dozens of stores around the US. It does not look good for Pier 1 Imports.

Advice to Management

Raise the starting pay! Michigan is paying minimum wage to their employees and giving them 10 cent raises yearly. That's ridiculous!

"Run for your life if you are offered a job here."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customers, fun experience working with customers to design there home.
    Designing displays in a manner that were appealing to customers was great.

Cons

Management would not listen to you, no consistency in management. Liars and fakes in regional levels. if you were not part on the in crowd you were treated like crap and pushed to quit or threatened to be fired. HR was no help when contacted for support because they were friends with the management.

Advice to Management

grow up and take a management class or two, listen to your employee's and treat everyone equally.

3. "Great discount but that's about it."

Current Employee - Manager in Port St Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, music, discount, benefits, discount

Cons

Salary/pay for the expected physical work, lack security for employees

Advice to Management

Get out of 1989, spend money on your infrastructure, protect you employees with camera systems

"Run for the hills"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products and sales associates

Cons

Management (corporate and certain store managers) are shady, they play favorites, violate so many safety and DOL laws, their store is physically falling apart and is dangerous. Pay is too low for the amount of hard manual labor you will be forced to do. Corporate is a mess and is way behind in store technology and e-commerce. There is no growth for management and if you are not the regionals "pet", your life will be made into a retail hell. I can't emphasize enough if you are applying for a management position, GO ANYWHERE ELSE! You will be in for a terrible surprise if you accept their (low ball) of an offer

Advice to Management

clean house of all the underperforming store managers who have a ton of complaints from associates and customers, take employee concerns and feedback seriously, don't play favorites, clean your store up and fix them so there aren't 5+ injuries occurring in the store within one year, offer better employee incentives & deal with your issues in a timely, professional manner- not sweep everything under the rug and let it mount up until everything is chaotic. VET YOUR MANAGEMENT!!!! Just because they have seniority doesn't mean they are doing a good job

5. "Unless you like stress"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

Good discount, nice costumers, hours

Cons

Stress, unorganized, messy, hours, rude

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with the same respect you treat the general managers.

6. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Most of the people are enjoyable to work with

Cons

PAY PAY PAY! Paying someone minimum wage is absurd. Harassing customers for credit cards
    Endless hours of walking in circles with nothing to do
    Cutting hours because the store had a large amount of returns on a particular day
    Horrible incentives to do well
    I could go on but I won't

Advice to Management

Pay your employers more and maybe they would enjoy coming to work

"worst part time job of my life"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

25% off discount, good starting pay

Cons

we would be yelled at if we did not greet every single customer and check in with them ever five minutes. This led to angry and irritated customers, but in order to avoid being chastised by management, you have to badger the customers. They push the credit card so hard that if we don't ask them at least three times, we get yelled at. Regularly I was told to re-weave the wicker chairs and sell them at full price despite the fact that I know nothing about making wicker chairs. I would be given a sharpie to color on defective furniture and was forced to sell it at full price.
    I also was hit in the head by an incredibly heavy piece of furniture and the manager encouraged me to NOT fill out an accident report as it would "look bad" on the company. A coworker of mine had MS and was practically forced out of her job, told she needed to work a certain amount of hours (even though she physically could not) and they violated the disability act by making her quit.

Advice to Management

Find some ethics. It's not all about numbers.

8. "Don't work here!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

DiscountAt Pier 1 besides that 25% discount. Management you really need to do a better job at treating your employees better and paying them more!

Cons

Horrible place to work. The pay is terrible you don't get the hours you want merchandise that is discontinued, is there later and away. The sad part is is not even donated to charity or ploys are allowed to keep it. The only good thing about working there is the discount which is 25%. So if you like working and being miserable but having a discount your mind to overcome the negativity maybe worth it to you. In addition management overly pushesopening Pier 1 credit cards. When you open one not only do you not make anything but usually irritate the customer. There of been several times when customers have been irritated and left the store because of the enforcing of the pier one credit card. Usually one out of every hundred people you ask maybe will even consider it unless the sale is more than $500.

Advice to Management

For all the work the employees do. And place should be paid more and be given commission to the things they sell. You offer a really great merchandise but as a company I don't care one will last the next 10 years the way they run their management. I also think it is absolutely terrible that you can't even donate discontinued merchandise to charity or employees are allowed to even keep anything. There is literally no motivation At Pier 1 besides that 25% discount. Management you really need to do a better job at treating your employees better and paying them more!

"Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX

Pros

Really easy work. Very chill with hardly any rules

Cons

Hot place in summer, gossippy supervisors to other employees, and a whole bunch of drama. Many of the supervisors sleeping with employees. Three of the managers/supervisors on second shift have relationships with several women working there.

10. "Run."

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice customers, that's about it.

Cons

Hours suck, coworkers suck, store manager sucks.

Advice to Management

Take your employees illnesses serious

Showing 194 of 1,704 reviews