Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated February 13, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 278 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 96 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Really fun environment. Even in the stores, you still feel connected to corporate and understand the company direction. Pretty easy job, just have to have great customer service.

Cons

The hourly pay for sales associate is not that good. Sometimes the hours can be weird to set up displays or take down displays so it can be really early or really late at night.

Advice to Management

I think management is really dependent upon store. We had a really good manager in a large store so it was a lot of fun. The only thing I would say is to be more consistent in hourly scheduling.

"Part-time associate"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule-fun merchandise, top notch candles-modest employee discount-Holiday season is a great time to be there as it keeps you busy.

Cons

Can get to be very monotonous and boring outside of peak holiday times-price labeling markdowns with red stickers seems archaic and never ending-based on on-hand inventory amounts-you can go on a wild mouse hunt trying to track down the merch to be priced which can be spread throughout the store.

Advice to Management

None

3. "Good to Start"

Current Contractor - Sales Associate in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Sales Associate in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room to be creative
    I found my passion for sales at this job.
    Flexible scheduling, good job while you're in school

Cons

Minimum wage, no commission, not alot of room to advance, does not give full time or even part time emplyment. Gives about 20 hours or less a week

Advice to Management

Pay more and give more hours and opportunities to grow.

5. "Overall review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

The discounts we received were decent. It was fun being around the holiday decorations.

Cons

One assistant manger I worked with was very young and spoke to me, personally, quite rudely in front of customers especially correcting what she thought was an error on my part but actually was not. Those experiences really put a bad taste in my mouth and I've actually never stepped foot back in any pier one store since I left my job there.

6. "Good place to work overall"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Management overall does a good job supporting staff
    - Clientele is generally good
    - For retail, the hourly pay is decent
    - Offer many opportunities through incentives for selling
    - Co-workers are great

Cons

No serious grievances. Pier 1 is a great place for a part-time gig. Sometimes I think as a sales associate we could use our time more productively during slow periods (i.e. running stock, etc). Some management does allow that though.

7. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novato, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a relaxed corporate atmosphere, and I had some great light exercise! I did sales and I met with some other colleagues in the morning to unload furniture and merchandise from trucks. The sales end was tedious, but the customers at my branch were thankfully quite respectful. I enjoyed creating attractive displays and building furniture the most.

Cons

As with almost any retail occupation, the Holidays were an upsetting experience. displays needed constant upkeep. The best word to sum up my negative experiences would be that they were sisyphean.

Advice to Management

If you find yourself managing a Pier 1 Imports, make sure you are fastidious with your freight room. Almost every real problem I experienced was in connection to the freight room being in disarray.

8. "Sales Leader"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Can be a fun place to work during the holidays. It's a lot of fun if you're a sales associate who doesn't consider it your primary job.

Cons

Hardly any room for advancement. The upper level management is some of the worst i have ever experienced. Store managers who are completely incompetent. Regional managers who are only concerned with the money and numbers, not their employees. Extremely long hours, and a terrible work schedule. Managers who take their anger out on you via your work schedule. Lots of immature employees. This company is a sinking ship in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your employees, and treat them with the respect that they deserve.

9. "Senior Art Director"

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

Pier 1 Imports headquarters has a flexible work environment.

Cons

New senior management that have been hired between the years of 2013-2016 has changed the dynamics of the company. Pier 1 is no longer a profitable, fun nor innovative place to work, often copying the look, voice and position of other brands. Senior management also do not work well together, they do not have the same vision in moving the company forward.

Advice to Management

Please separate you personal professional agendas, work together to form a strong leadership, respect the professional abilities of your direct reports and their team members to help move Pier 1 in the right direction.

10. "Fun Environment/Corp Management Horrible"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Macon, GA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun place to work. Typically all the customers are friendly along with the other sales associates and store managers. Good employee discounts. Easy to work around schedules.

Cons

Upper management gives no guidance. They expect too much from their sales associates. The only way to hope to advance is by getting customers to enroll in the Pier 1 store credit card. Pay is minimum wage with no commission.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your associates like you pay them $100K/year. Give better guidance on how things need to be run in the store. Give perks to associates if they enroll customers in the P1CC

11. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts, cool stuff, nice co-workers. Fun environment.

Cons

Dealing with bored housewives can be a drag, especially when they prattle on endlessly about a throw pillow. Wages are low.

Advice to Management

Higher hourly wages would be welcome.

Showing 446 of 1,471 reviews