Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,612 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 299 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 99 reviews)

"Sales Leader"

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Portland, OR

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a retail job, working at Pier1 can actually be fun. Most of the people are great. Helping customers with decorating needs and seeing all the new seasonal decor is really fun. I learned a lot about coaching associates. You have a lot of opportunity to influence your sales numbers, customer acquisition (to Pier1's loyalty programs), etc. and you get a monthly bonus as the sales leader if your store exceeds it's sales goals.

Cons

Pay is low for a management position. Management has a high rate of turnover and my store was not very organized. There is a lot of theft in the Portland area, which can be stressful to deal with. If you're a hard worker, a lot of the workload will probably be dumped on you. I am sure it's not like that at every store, but at mine it was.

Advice to Management

Retain and promote employees that have been with the company for a long time and are actually invested in it. Enforce good HR/hiring practices within stores. When stores don't plan for inevitable turnover, new/inadequate people are hired out of desperation and the rest of the team suffers for it. Try to keep management teams together. Every time you put a new store manager into place, they want to reorganize the store and do things "their way" and it's difficult on associates when we have to switch gears all the time. In a four month period, I witnessed an entire store's floor plan changing just to have it revert back again when the interim store manager left and a new manager came in. It was a total waste of time and meanwhile, the store was a complete mess.

Overall I really enjoyed working for Pier1 and I felt valued as an employee, especially by Pier1's corporate office. It was awesome to be given 40% discount days during the holidays and for all associates to be given incentives for hitting IC and sales goals. As a sales leader, the incentives were even better. It's great that you give associates the incentives to be invested in our stores' sales numbers, etc.

2. "Great atmosphere - for retail"

Pros

The atmosphere at Pier 1 is great - they do a very good job at giving associates everything they may need to succeed.

Cons

It's retail so the hours can be brutal.

3. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun place to work.

Cons

It can get quiet at times.

4. "Retail Sales"

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, close to home

Cons

Too many tempting furnishings! I want them all

5. "Sales Lead"

Pros

Great Managers on their staff.

Cons

I do not have any cons for this employer.

Advice to Management

None

"Great training programs."

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management gets a lot of sales and merchandising training which is extremely useful to take into other jobs in the future

Cons

The hours and pay can be a little lacking, and at least in my experience they overwork salaried managers to the point where they're too burnt out to actually contribute to the team.

Advice to Management

Schedule longer shifts for store associates and pay your team better.

7. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Sales in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in College Station, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great teamwork, fun, allows for creativity

Cons

High sales expectations with punitive measures taken if they are not met each week

Advice to Management

The training opportunities helped quite a bit and were great resources for learning how to effectively interact with customers.

8. "Not the best place to work."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workers i work with are lovely and patient with me. the discount is very helpful and i love the things we sell. the assistant store manager is a lovely and amazing lady she is super fun to work with and she and the sales leader are super patient with me and the other who need extra help on occasion.

Cons

The manager i have is not the best, they have a tendency to make up lies about me and the assistant manager and who knows who else. One day i was supposed to come into work and i was running a super high fever from stress and i called out sick and i've called out a handful of times for family emergencies or because my health i'snt doing well . Is that such a bad thing? that i'm calling out because my friend died or i'm running a high fever and i'm throwing up.
    I've been getting 4 hours a week for the past 3 weeks. The schedules are NOT flexible in this store, i was trying to balance a second job and i couldn't do it because the manager wasn't being flexible even though she said she was. the only way i could fix schedule conflicts with both jobs was by going to the assistant manager and asking them ( they did it without issue!)
     I have put in a 2 week notice of resignation because i get treated poorly by the manager and i deserve better, at least one other person is leaving for that reason too. I feel bullied and treated poorly by the Store Manager. I look forward to days where i don't have to work with them.

Advice to Management

Don't bring in new Employees and give them more hours than the people you have working there who have been working there for months. Don't bully your employees to the point where they go into their car and have a break down ( this happened to me after getting into my car after we closed). Don't bully your employees to the point where they're crying on the sales floor( this has happened 2 times) . Just be nicer and more patient with the people you have working for you ( some of us have autism and bipolar disorder). Keep in mind that some of your employees may have learning disorders and mental disorders, i'm one of these people. Be more patient with these people who need extra attention and a bit more help than others. This is really coming from a mental health perspective because my mental health has been failing lately because of this job and the way I've been treated by this manager.

"DC Supervisor"

Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is competitive. The job is easy if you want to just show up everyday, do your work, and collect a paycheck.

Cons

Upper management team is a joke. They do not backup their supervisors. They also do not try new programs or projects to make the building better. They just address issues when they arise, put a bandaid on it and go back to normal. There is high turnover among the associates, because they do not pay their labor enough. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Don't work for them, you will go crazy with the amount of HR issues and racial preference the HR team shows.

10. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upbeat environment. I call it "my happy place"

Cons

Not enough hours available to work

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Showing 1,612 of 1,620 reviews