Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Credit Card application expectations (in 303 reviews)

• Part time employees don't want to work this hard for the pay they receive (in 103 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Good start to work in furniture industry or student interior designer

Cons

Late hours and low pay. Always having to focus on credit card sales.

Advice to Management

Focus more on customer service as opposed to credit cards

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun place to work.

Cons

It can get quiet at times.

3. "Decent"

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a pretty chill and relaxed place to work. The dress code is also relaxed for sales associates, and the associate discount of 25% is nice, especially for gifts. They occasionally run a 40% discount for associates for a few days.

Cons

They are huge on making sure that you sell their credit card to the customers. It can get in the way of creating a true connection with the customer. The customer has to tell you 'no' three times before you can stop asking. Also, much better pay can be found elsewhere for an easier job.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, short shifts, fun coworkers, can be an encouraging environment. Helps you gain useful interior design and visual merchandise experience.

Cons

Opening up the store credit cards can be a draining with no reward except for brownie points and occasional contests. Their goal is to have the customer hear about the card within 3 times of their shopping experience. That part of it can get catty and stressful with coworkers, which can be a lot to bear for a slightly over minimum wage job.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the talent you have instead of breathing down their throats. The management can really make or break the experience. When you treat your employees as more than just a number or a tool to drive sales, they will be more likely to drive those sales. I worked there for 5 years and received an "associate of the quarter" reward, had seniority, and went above and beyond, but i was given $1.15 within that time. It seems like its very hard to get a decent raise unless you are a shift lead. Depending on which store you're a part of, those positions can be pretty locked in.

5. "Summer Job at Pier 1 Imports"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

I got to do a lot of different things in the store during the 2.5 months that I spent working P/T as a Sales Associate at Pier 1 as a summer job during college, which might be a pro or a con! I opened and closed the store, on separate occasions, and helped set up new arrangements of furniture and decor on the sales floor after hours. I enjoyed the few times that I worked after hours to arrange the sales floor, since I was really good at tidying up the pillow wall, and I was able to spend time with some of the other college-aged girls that worked at Pier 1 that summer, because we were not always working together at the same time. I was not strong enough to help unload the truck on shipment days, but I did open the merchandise in the back, move the merchandise to the sales floor, and help with the general upkeep of the merchandise on the floor. I enjoyed helping customers shop for merchandise, especially if they had something specific in mind and I could help them figure out exactly what they wanted. I had never worked with a POS system before, so it took a bit of training to figure it out, and there were a lot of different things to do with that system: process sales, exchanges, returns; process orders for merchandise put on hold, and for merchandise purchased online and shipped to the store; process gift cards and credit card applications, etc. Oh, and there were times that required knowledge of the Pier 1 website, such as ordering and shipping furniture to customers' homes, or ordering merchandise that was not available in store.

Cons

I really hated having to push the Rewards Credit Card on the sales floor. I know that I hate it when retail workers try to get me to sign up for a credit card as soon as I walk in the door, so I would usually ask each customer at the cash wrap. If they were interested, great, and I could fill out the application for them right then and there. If not, that was fine by me, but it was probably not so fine by the company. I just felt like getting credit card applications was more important than helping customers, which didn't sit right with me.

Advice to Management

I don't think that this could have been prevented, but during the time that I spent at Pier 1, the manager that hired me left, and a new manager took her place. I was stuck in the position of thinking that I liked the first manager, and then hearing not-so-great things about her when she left. And then I heard great things about the new manager, but I was not sure if I liked the new manager as much as the manager that hired me.

6. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance for a retail store.

Cons

Not enough growth opportunity past a store manager level.
    Poor pay compare to other retailers

7. "PART OF THE ONE PIER 1"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, pleasant work environment, fair hours & pay.

Cons

low pay, no full time, very little room for growth, dealing with the public

Advice to Management

know your store location needs and clientele and convey that to corporate. There was a huge separation between the store level and the corporate level.

8. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Product is so fun to merchandise! Working with a small team is also nice as it allows you to get to know your team much better.

Cons

Selling a credit card with awful interest rates and late fees was not the most fun thing. Also, I noticed over time that the quality of the product went way down and it got more and more difficult to justify the price points.

9. "Love merchandising and stock processing"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brighton, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brighton, MI

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love merchandising and stock processing

Cons

Low hourly wage, only part time

10. "Pier 1 imports for part time sales lead"

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Get to help people decorate their homes

Cons

More work is expected from you, then what you are getting paid for

Showing 497 of 1,671 reviews