Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

1,520 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,520 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 285 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 96 reviews)

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, KY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Pier 1 Imports grants you the occasional (and limited) creative freedom when assembling displays.

Cons

I loathed my time spent at Pier 1 Imports. The management refused to hire anyone that was actually physically capable of doing the very heavy lifting that the job requires. The entirety of the floor staff was composed of petite college-aged women and senior citizens; neither group was wholly capable of unloading couches, dressers, dining room tables, etc. The pay was absolutely paltry. All sales associates started at exactly minimum wage, with "raises" (of up to a whopping $0.10) being available (upon a glowing performance review) once every consecutive year. There was also pressure, bordering on harassment, to talk customers into signing up for the Pier 1 credit card. Furthermore, the tone of all instructional material distributed by the company was wildly sexist. All customers are referred only as "she" or "her" in Pier 1 literature. The only time I saw the mention of "he" or "him" was in a leaflet discussing what a mother should buy for her son going off to college. (There were no female-oriented dorm items shown, either.)

"Worst Job of My Life"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were very friendly. The assistant manger was a total sweetheart.

Cons

I was hired on as seasonal. I was lucky if I got more than 10 hours a week. Everyone was given a name tag and trained on register except me. I was expected to open credit cards on the sales floor. The manager rode me to get sales and peoples email addresses constantly. I was never praised when I met my goals or made big sales, although I was constantly reminded when I didn't. I was expected to move heavy pieces of furniture by myself and no one even trained me on how to do it safely. Employee discount is a joke with the hours they give to seasonal employees. I could barely afford to pay my bills much less buy expensive furniture and home goods with my tiny paychecks.

Advice to Management

Give employees more hours. I get that seasonal employees are only temporary but they should be treated with the same respect as everyone else.

"Pier One great people, lousy pay!"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, Awesome people to work with, fun product

Cons

Everything else is pretty much awful.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and they will do the same for the company

"Once a fun flexible part-time job..not anymore :("

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun merchandise, short shifts (that could either be good or bad depending on your situation)

Cons

I have worked here for 4 years and have watched how the company has turned from taking care of its own by being a flexible and fun place to work to adopting an attitude that every employee is "replaceable". Think used-car salesperson. They want you to be a high-pressure salesperson but with pay you as close to minimum wage as possible. They expect you to bombard customers as they enter the store with hellos and an immediate questioning of that customer of what they are looking for. Some customers appreciate the attention while most just want to be left alone. Another huge issue with all the stores is the high level of gossip that pervades the store. Employees who have been there for a while have their own cliques and tends to gossip/ make fun of newer employees. They also do this to other long-time employees who don't fit into their group. I have watched many employees be driven away because of this. A company run by women for women. If you're a man you will feel invisible. Even the selling documentation refers to all customers as either she or her. Apparently they don't care about their male customers. Overall this the kind of part-time job where you are expected to perform as if it were a full-time career.

"This isn't a job, it's indentured servitude."

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

The work is easy enough. Beyond that, there really aren't any pros to speak of.

Cons

EXTREMELY low hours, very low pay, no commission, not guaranteed a shift every week, favoritism, constantly having to be ready to work only to find out you don't get to work that day after all.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people if you can't give your employees hours.

7. "Beware! Pier 1 may be a fun place to shop, but not a good place of employment."

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun associates to work with. Good discount.

Cons

Management delegates like dictators. Realistic expectations are way too high for one person to achieve. Care about the why's; Why is inventory low and counts off? Why are employees leaving?

Advice to Management

Lead by example. A good manager is one that leads, not orders! Don't have the associate do something that you wouldn't do.Managers should ALL be on the same page. Not 100 different answers. Look at why your stores have so much turnover in associates.

8. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

25% discount, paid holidays, fun with customers putting looks together

Cons

Over worked & under paid, management is very disorganized

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better! Follow policies

"This company doesn't take care of it's employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

generous discount, nice staff and manager, variety of tasks to prevent boredom, looks good on a resume, fun merchandising and nice customers

Cons

Property Management is non-responsive, at our store it was over 90 degrees some days, and always over 85 for summer months. The pay is well below industry standards and competitors.The benefits are laughable. it takes six years for a simple 401k to be vested, and the health insurance is almost impossible to qualify for, and even when you do it is expensive and insufficient. Ladders are broken, yet even after numerous injuries the company refuses to replace them for the expense.

Advice to Management

take notes from your competitors. people like spending money at businesses that treat their employees fairly and take care of their stores safety and property needs.

"A very stressful and demanding job for minimum-wage pay."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

There are discounts on shop merchandise. If you only want to work a part-time job and are very flexible, this might work well for you.

Cons

This is the most stressful job I have yet held. In addition to working the register, retrieving merchandise, putting together furniture, and (in theory) providing good customer service, for each shift I was expected to convince five people to sign up for coupon mail-outs and one person to agree to opening up a Pier 1 credit card. This was very stressful and difficult for me, because I felt very disrespectful not taking "no" as an answer from customers. I felt very much like a tacky and obnoxious telemarketer or door-to-door salesperson trying to get as much money out of people as possible, rather than focusing on a friendly and receptive relationship with customers that would leave them wanting to come back. So many of my interactions were scripted, and to be honest, someone with my personality could not read those lines without sounding very phony. Lastly, along with the minimum wage, Pier 1 hires only part-time workers as sales associates so that it doesn't have to give anyone benefits; only managers worked reasonable hours, and even they might not have gotten full-time.

Advice to Management

As a worker, I did not feel that customers came first at Pier 1. My experience working here has turned me off from patronizing the company; management and corporate both came off as rather money-hungry to me, and I was in fact hardly given an opportunity to provide genuine customer service. Please treat your workers and customers less like numbers and humanize your company.

11. "Shopping there great! Working there, not so great...."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were great and very helpful. Even the customers were fun to work with.

Cons

*It took two months to get a call to come in for a interview.

*You are required to constantly 'nag' customers about signing up for credit cards. You are suppose to 'check up' on them every 10 to 15 minutes and try to sell the card. Even if they have the credit card you still need to tell them about the benefits.(Which are horrible)

*I was never told HOW heavy the heavy lifting was. I was lifting stuff the same weight as me. I wasn't able to get any help because the other associate was busy on the floor.

*They have flex shifts here. You are expected to call two hours before your flex shift to even see if you are working. All of the flex shifts I had I never worked. Loss of money. Most weeks flex shifts made up 25% to 50% of all my shifts.

*There was this mandatory meeting that I had full intention of going too.It turns out that I got sicker than a dog that day and I sleeping next to the toilet all day. I actually got off of work early from my other job because I was sick. Because I was sleeping next to the toilet, I lost track of time. The meeting was at 7:15 pm and by the time I realized what time it was, it was 7. I called in and let them know I wasn't going to be able to make it. The store manager was very upset and she made a big fuss about how she would have to take time out of work to go over the materials of the meeting. I was too sick to get angry. Since that point the manager was just mean to me. When we had to do an overnight reset of product she just barked at me constantly. There was one point that they were having trouble figuring out where this clearance products should go and I was working on a grid that was clearance and had plenty of room. I looked at the product and open my month for a moment and the store manager just ripped into me saying that wasn't my stuff to deal with. It was that night that I decided to put my two weeks notice in.

Advice to Management

For the store manager, if you are upset with a worker be professional about it. Don't take your personal feelings out on that person.

Showing 1,520 of 1,527 reviews