Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,612 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 299 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 99 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upbeat environment. I call it "my happy place"

Cons

Not enough hours available to work

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. "Sales Lead / Sales Associate"

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Discount, co-workers, appreciation, enjoyable, and fun!

Cons

Low hourly, no benefits for part-time sales leaders, tile floors suck after 4 hours.

Advice to Management

The rule on tattoos needs to be revisited. It's tacky for associated to cover with bandages or makeup. The company should be proud of their team members for who they are, tattoos and all. After all, they choose to work at Pier 1.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount, short shifts, fun coworkers, can be an encouraging environment. Helps you gain useful interior design and visual merchandise experience.

Cons

Opening up the store credit cards can be a draining with no reward except for brownie points and occasional contests. Their goal is to have the customer hear about the card within 3 times of their shopping experience. That part of it can get catty and stressful with coworkers, which can be a lot to bear for a slightly over minimum wage job.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the talent you have instead of breathing down their throats. The management can really make or break the experience. When you treat your employees as more than just a number or a tool to drive sales, they will be more likely to drive those sales. I worked there for 5 years and received an "associate of the quarter" reward, had seniority, and went above and beyond, but i was given $1.15 within that time. It seems like its very hard to get a decent raise unless you are a shift lead. Depending on which store you're a part of, those positions can be pretty locked in.

4. "Sales Lead"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Fun place to work. Great discounts. Super customers.

Cons

Limited number of full time positions available

5. "great place"

Pros

best environment
    benefits
    easy job
    no stress
    best manager

Cons

short shift
    less pay for work

Advice to Management

increase hours

6. "Pier 1 Sales Associate - Seasonal Hire"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Employee discount
    Mostly 4 hour shifts

Cons

Work holidays
    Flex shifts - you would be scheduled to work but had to call in 2 hours before for management to let you know if you needed to come in or not
    Flex shifts would also be scheduled for immediately after a regular shift so sometimes you would need to stay an additional 4 hours
    Limited training provided on products
    Heavy emphasis on selling Pier 1 credit cards - almost all of performance reviews were based on this

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products to work with

Cons

They do nothing to address bad upper management that causes people to quit

Advice to Management

Upper Management at the company does not listen to complaints. When there was an issue in my region several people in store management called to discuss with hr and nothing was ever done. It made a lot of employees in both management and associate level unhappy and caused many to leave.

8. "Summer Job at Pier 1 Imports"

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

I got to do a lot of different things in the store during the 2.5 months that I spent working P/T as a Sales Associate at Pier 1 as a summer job during college, which might be a pro or a con! I opened and closed the store, on separate occasions, and helped set up new arrangements of furniture and decor on the sales floor after hours. I enjoyed the few times that I worked after hours to arrange the sales floor, since I was really good at tidying up the pillow wall, and I was able to spend time with some of the other college-aged girls that worked at Pier 1 that summer, because we were not always working together at the same time. I was not strong enough to help unload the truck on shipment days, but I did open the merchandise in the back, move the merchandise to the sales floor, and help with the general upkeep of the merchandise on the floor. I enjoyed helping customers shop for merchandise, especially if they had something specific in mind and I could help them figure out exactly what they wanted. I had never worked with a POS system before, so it took a bit of training to figure it out, and there were a lot of different things to do with that system: process sales, exchanges, returns; process orders for merchandise put on hold, and for merchandise purchased online and shipped to the store; process gift cards and credit card applications, etc. Oh, and there were times that required knowledge of the Pier 1 website, such as ordering and shipping furniture to customers' homes, or ordering merchandise that was not available in store.

Cons

I really hated having to push the Rewards Credit Card on the sales floor. I know that I hate it when retail workers try to get me to sign up for a credit card as soon as I walk in the door, so I would usually ask each customer at the cash wrap. If they were interested, great, and I could fill out the application for them right then and there. If not, that was fine by me, but it was probably not so fine by the company. I just felt like getting credit card applications was more important than helping customers, which didn't sit right with me.

Advice to Management

I don't think that this could have been prevented, but during the time that I spent at Pier 1, the manager that hired me left, and a new manager took her place. I was stuck in the position of thinking that I liked the first manager, and then hearing not-so-great things about her when she left. And then I heard great things about the new manager, but I was not sure if I liked the new manager as much as the manager that hired me.

"Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing that has come of this job for me is my co workers and the ability to use creativity

Cons

I am paid as a sales associate yet does all the tranisitions moving extremely heavy furniture, peds, putting in shelves moving merchandise.. i do markdowns, and freight.. almost every time i leave work i have some sort of injury and they expect this much? To be paid under ten dollars an hour? Ive worked here for 2 years. My first raise was 12 cents. My second raise was 23 cents. Upper management does not care about the employees what so ever while their markup of products is basically 100 percent they are so money hungry that they could care less who actually makes the sale and who puts things together in the store. VERY phsycial job.. VERY underpaid. Have had to report 2 injuries now to workers comp. Also, they try their very hardest not to give any associates full time hours so they cant recieve benefits. Give them a wage they deserve, and hours they deserve.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees.. they work their butts off so you can make money. We are where the sale starts and ends, and we make it happen.

10. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible schedule. My manager always works with my schedule. Great discount. Opportunity to move up within the company. Really fun seeing all the new items that come in weekly. If you love decorating this is an awesome place to work.

Cons

The pay is not great. If you want people who care about their job and are motivated to sell and push the credit card you are going to have to PAY MORE MONEY.

Advice to Management

Should really stand up for associates as far as pay goes. You get what you pay for.

Showing 1,612 of 1,620 reviews