Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

1,539 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,539 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 289 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 96 reviews)

"Do not expect to advance, favoritism towards select employees..."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Great accent décor. Customers that enjoy the experience at Pier One. Be prepared to not only sell, but stock/move merchandise, furniture, climb ladders, lift 50 lbs. or more. The diversity adds value to your shift, With the exception of 5:00 am trucks.

Cons

Favoritism to select employees with regards to weekly schedules/hours, including flex schedules in their favor. Their performance being no greater/better with regards to IC's, sales contribution, units per transaction, customer review, tasking etc... Several new lead positions, no promotions within, all hired outside. Do not expect to be advance in this store.

Advice to Management

Value your associates they contribute more than you realize. We not only help and advise your new hires, we also give strength to the inexperience leads that have no clue of the expectations required to promote you and/or the store.[

2. "High Expectations and little resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You gain retail experience and are never bored.

Cons

High turn over in associates. Scheduling employees outside of availability leaving less coverage and worn out associates and managers creating this endless cycle.

Expect to carry dining chairs and other heavy objects up a ladder and stack things dangerously around the store. You'll be performing other dangerous tasks like reaching while on the tip top of the ladder

you'll help people load and move they're giant furniture pieces with no help from your general manager(even if your a woman and he is a man)

Little to no real training. you will be thrown to the sharks on your first day. Yet if you do something wrong its still your fault, even if they never trained you on it

very advance and complex ordering processes leaving new associates clueless and customers frustrated when we cannot find their merchandise the spent hundreds of dollars on.

little to no communication between gm and management team

unrealistic expectations with little coverage

Micromanaging.

Customer service is not a priority, tasking and store appearances is, your numbers and conversion are going down because of this.

Advice to Management

spend more time on your training. If you have an employee who is confident in what they are doing you wont have so many customer issues and employees who just walk out.

"Run away!!"

Former Employee - Sales Leader, Interim Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Leader, Interim Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The slim chance of meeting cool people at the workplace...though it is likely they'll quit far before actually knowing them. Working for this company is like feeding honey to a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations (i.e. process freight, ring people up, discuss with everyone the benefits of the pier 1 credit card all simultaneously). Hostile, passive-aggressive work environment with emotionally unstable managerial staff. Horrible pay for heavy labor (moving, setting, and transitioning poorly-made furniture.) This company does not care about their employees though they talk up a good cultural awareness. No benefits. EVER. As a manager I was told explicitly to never, ever let any associate go over "limited" status (employee status under "part-time" status) as it may pose the risk of Pier 1 actually having to pay out vacation hours...or even worse, benefits. The 'selling standards' that the employees must abide by are laced with cheap psychological tricks to get people to buy mass produced garbage marketed to look 'authentic.'

At the door, expect to be forced to ask open-ended questions (as to catalyze conversation) "What brings you in today?" The customer wants to be left alone until they ask for help. This is the case. ALWAYS.

It is required that every associate asphyxiate every single person that walks in the store with information about the high interest rate credit card that offers no real benefits. (10% off one day a month...for platinum?!? Seriously NOT WORTH IT). Phone number capture, email capture, ADDRESS CAPTURE. We are specifically told to coach to our associates to 'avoid eye contact' when capturing personal information. This place will, seriously, eat your soul. Every word an associate says to a customer is a lie. The gold foil bowl they just called "gorgeous" is actually tacky as get up and if you buy it then you have no taste.

You'll get paid garbage. You'll likely get injured in stockroom at some point. If you ever feel sick you can expect your managers to second guess your authenticity. Also, I have found that this company seems to find the most emotionally unstable store managers ever with regional managers that sway towards the scope of insanity and play favorites to certain store managers (ignoring the fact that the sales targets have become a constant "opportunity"). I have worked as a sales lead and an interim assistant store manager and have found that both positions offer horrible pay and require non-stop physical labor and emotional stress that literally began to effect my 'real life' enjoyment of things. Seriously, working for this company is a nightmare. DON'T DO IT. And, if you do, I'm just gonna assume you're likely on the verge of quitting anyway. Good riddance, I say. Good Riddance.

Advice to Management

Treat those who work for you with respect--as they are the one's doing all the labor. Understand that the company's expectations are grossly unrealistic and the product that we are poorly manufactured. Understand that if there is no commission-based incentive for opening credit cards, bullying your associates should not be the next logical selling strategy. And, again, treat your 'associates' with respect. Know that working retail isn't usually someone's first choice. Understand that your employees should not have to wait around all day to 'call in' for flex shifts that you likely forgot you scheduled. Treat other human beings with respect regardless of your own personal or psychological issues. Keep your emotions at bay and be professional. Have a sense of humor. Don't throw your management team 'under the bus' when you get a corporate visit because you've been doing ' admin work' in the office all week. Everyone knows that's a bold face lie. Do your job. Don't schedule every one else to do freight, mark downs, transitions, event sets etc. etc. and then complain that the job wasn't done right. Have some decency. The end.

"Definitely Do Run Away"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting some wonderful co-workers. Seeing some beautiful hand made treasures from other parts of the world and the chance to be creative at times.

Cons

Pay, Workload, Management, Working Environment. There is little I can add to the reviewer who advised all to run away. I actually thought I got up in the middle of the night and wrote that in my sleep. I am half way across the country and the conditions are the same. Chronically dangerous stockrooms and truly criminal physical work load expectations for some- they routinely hire people who cannot lift anything, making more work for those who can. Emotionally unstable managers are definitely the norm - upper management with no moral compass at all. You will be one of the lucky few if you leave this company unscathed - physically and emotionally.

Advice to Management

Actually try to treat your employees like you value them and reward people for hard work. Get rid of all the incompetent and emotionally unstable and abusive managers. I know that regional managers keep them on because they are easy to bully and manipulate. Basically, clean house and start all over again.

6. "Misleading on hours you will receive. The credit card sales and conversion are put ahead of customer service."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount, coworkers are great. My hair always smells nice when I leave the store.

Cons

Are forced to bash customers over and over during their shopping experience with the credit card. Mind you we leave out the fact that it's 27% interest rate. They do not provide proper cleaning supplies for the jobs you are required to do. Hours are horrible, can't live on 8-10 hours a week. Even though they hired you to work 16-20. Truck duties are only given to a few people. Stock room is a mess.

Advice to Management

Get organized, don't force your employee's to badger the customers 4 times during their shopping experience. Also allow us to hold the door open for them when they have a lot of bags. The conversion isn't worth lacking the service. If you provide proper cleaning supplies we would be satisfied to do our jobs right.

"Dig a ditch before employment at Pier 1"

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Benton Harbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Benton Harbor, MI

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products and merchandising plan is easy to follow.

Cons

Horrific manager..associate and management team were never heard. Very toxic place to work and no support from upper management.

Advice to Management

If you are getting complaints that your store manager is unfair, deceitful, lies, racist and many complaints from customers in addition to a huge turn over...DO SOMETHING!

"Horrible Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get a job there, especially during the holidays. And the job is really easy. They start you in the warehouse just opening and unwrapping merchandise and then they put you on the floor.

Cons

Bad pay. And worse hours. They are never consistent about giving them to you, will not hire you for more then 15 hours a week unless you are management. They hire too many people then have them work the smallest shifts. They have you go home early if the store is empty with no pay. They put you on call, and you only get pay when you get called in, if you aren't available you are in trouble.

Have to choose between working on the floor with horrible customers or working in the warehouse. The warehouse is nice, but management loves to punish you for skipping out on the bad customers, by coming in every hour or so and screaming at you. Plus the merchandise is just s@#t. I don't know why people shop here. I have been in the back room, it is totally s@#t plastic made from slave labor and priced up at least 20% above their profit margin. How do I know this? First cause the same s@#t is sold at Target less 20% and because that is the discount we get for working there. I'm pretty sure that's how my store stayed in business, by encouraging its employees to buy their s@#t at discount.

Advice to Management

If you are working for money, try to just yell less at those working for you. If this is a career, rethink you life work.

9. "Don't do it!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the discount is the ONLY reason to work here

Cons

Extremely stressful, very low pay, high turnover, no advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

company loyalty should be rewarded

"worst company I ever worked for"

Pros

it was closer to home

Cons

bad salary awful treatment to the employee no incentives at all

Advice to Management

take care more of the people at your stores they are the one making you money

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hilton Head Island, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hilton Head Island, SC

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount was the only thing good about the job. Most of the upper management was terribly rude, only a handful of the people I worked with were nice to me and/or customers.

Cons

Extremely pushy with the credit card. I got yelled at several times because I neglected to offer the card on very minor purchases.
    Very little training. I constantly had questions that were never answered. They acted like it was a burden to train me.
    The hours are just terrible. 4 hour shifts, very little pay.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your associates!!! Train them more

Showing 1,539 of 1,547 reviews