Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated August 11, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 299 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 99 reviews)

1. "Store manager"

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Pier 1 card. Company going down hill.

Advice to Management

Know what your getting into and be prepared to a company that overall isn't doing good.

"I Smell Good After Work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clay, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Clay, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The store changes layouts often, so you won't get bored of the store. It's cool to see the new stuff before the customers do. The employee discount is 25% off, including sales and clearance items! I am only part-time, but they accommodate my schedule as long as I let my manager know in advance.

Cons

Unloading the truck every Tuesday is terrible. The trucks don't have a lowering mechanism, so reaching for heavier things is tedious, even with 2 people. I also don't enjoy having to greet people 5 seconds after they walk in, and then approach them AGAIN after they have been looking around for 5 minutes. Most of the customers are not interested in being greeted, some are nasty. You grow a thick skin working at Pier 1. Also, they are so number oriented it drives me crazy. I know it's a business and all, but it's not my fault if people are not interested in buying anything or signing up for a Pier 1 Rewards Card.

Advice to Management

Ease up on hounding us about getting people to sign up for the Pier 1 Rewards Card. I try my hardest.

3. "OK company, lots to do with little pay."

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Lake Mohegan, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Lake Mohegan, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers were friendly, and my boss was very nice and helpful. Employees are great people, easy to work with. I loved it when I worked with this company at the east coast.

Cons

When I decided to transferred to one of the stores in California, the store manager was so unorganized and not responsible at all. She never called back when she said she was going to call back. I always had to called back to get an answer, or she was busy and had to leave a message or she answered and said she was going to call back. But she never did. I was very dissapointed on the action this manager took. The employees in that store were somewhat rude too. I don't recommend this job in California.

Advice to Management

Yes, please be more organized and be up to date with your tasks. Be a responsible person, as a manager.

4. "Kind of felt like a waste of time"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good as a second job because you hardly ever work

Cons

There's so much down time most of the time you're doing nothing. I only worked two days a week. And if you ask for time off they pretty much just don't schedule you for the whole week. Even with like 4 people leaving the store they wanted to hire a bunch more people instead of giving hours. And hired a sales leader that hadn't worked in the store for a year or two instead of asking people if they wanted to step up.

"Warehouse worker Aberdeen,Md"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I can say is decent co-workers & a few decent supervisors but there really are no good points

Cons

To much favoritism amongst supervisors and coworkers if your liked by a supervisor you are not messed with & get jobs to help you get your numbers for the incentive pay,we have 2 buildings & the rules are suppose to be the same but they are not supervisors should be held to the same standards as all employees but they are not one leaves for 2-3 hours aweek 2-3 times a week to go coach his son's baseball game but ifan employee wanted to do that & come back they get points also one building will do things that the other building knows nothing about it should be fair across the board

Advice to Management

You need to watch supervisors better to make sure they are being fair & they should be held at the samev standards as everyone else I've seen many people leave because of one supervisor who I'm sure he's many complaints against him it's hard to work when you know they are not being fair

6. "Good starter, but not a forever..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gig Harbor, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than a year)

Pros

Very active - there's always something to do, you have the opportunity to learn about home decor/decorating, you can wear just about anything you want (as long as it's black and fits dress code regulations), freight (I personally enjoyed doing freight, but others might disagree).

Cons

Pier 1 Credit Cards, conversion, transitions (this happens every couple of weeks, which consists of transitioning the store from one season to the next with all new displays/merchandise), the mass production of merchandise (the amount of products you unpack every week feels never ending), the stress before monthly visits from corporate, having to check up on customer's every 3-5 minutes feels like you're hassling them or being pushy.

Advice to Management

Don't push customer's (and even employees) into signing up for a Pier 1 Credit Card... No one wants one. I promise.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and helping design spaces with customers. Meeting new people and helping them decorate. Working and getting to know your repeat customers.

Cons

Do not appreciate their employees. Credit card sales is the only focus.

Advice to Management

First have store managers who are upbeat and practice what they preach.

8. "Too much pressure to sell credit cards and be on-call"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Hired good team members
    Great discount
    Fun training sessions
    Sold products we believed in

Cons

Horrible, nasty store manager
    Written up if not able to sell credit cards, even if you ask every person
    Illegal labor practices with keeping people on-call or making them leave early
    Clearances and background checks can take two months

Advice to Management

Your associates are there to sell products, not to sell lines of credit. It is not their fault if customers know better than to sign up for a Pier 1 credit card, and is embarrassing to members when they are written up for something that is not their fault.

9. "sales"

Pros

friendly coworkers, great location, clean store

Cons

heavy lifting,selling pier one credit card

10. "This company uses biased personality tests to discriminate against candidates"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, NH

Pros

Congenial management. Creativity encouraged. Competitive pay and benefits. Pleasant environment.

Cons

Uses personality tests that are said to be effective but which are discriminatory in nature. Individuals that come from disadvantaged backgrounds or who have too much workplace experience can be barred from positions which they are highly qualified for and capable of doing.

Advice to Management

Dispense with dubious assessment.. I don't care what they say.. these assessments are NOT accurate indicators of success in the job. If they were, service would be getting so much better in so many companies and they are not. Nothing like face-to-face, HUMAN communication.

Showing 272 of 1,620 reviews