Pier 1 Imports Reviews | Glassdoor

1,540 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,540 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Pushing for credit card sign ups is not ideal (in 289 reviews)

• Not enough hours given to part time employees (in 96 reviews)

1. "compensation"

Former Employee - Compensation Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Compensation Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and always willing to help. Definitely an easy team to get along with.

Cons

The work schedule wasn't very flexible and there was never a wfh option

Advice to Management

Keep doing as you're doing

2. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun and new merchandise. Have many returning customers, I have been there 8+ years.

Cons

Very low pay with requirements of the job

Advice to Management

Track associates productivity and pay accordingly. With new pay raise for all employees it sure don't seem right to the employees who have put time in to all be paid the same.

"Part-time associate"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule-fun merchandise, top notch candles-modest employee discount-Holiday season is a great time to be there as it keeps you busy.

Cons

Can get to be very monotonous and boring outside of peak holiday times-price labeling markdowns with red stickers seems archaic and never ending-based on on-hand inventory amounts-you can go on a wild mouse hunt trying to track down the merch to be priced which can be spread throughout the store.

Advice to Management

None

5. "Working as a Temp/Seasonal"

Former Employee - Temp/Seasonal Worker in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Temp/Seasonal Worker in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working there your hours are flexible. Co-workers are helpful with each other and the atmosphere is wonderful. It's fun seeing all the new products that come in and learning it so you can tell the customers about it as well.

Cons

The hourly wage was low. You have to be really careful during transition days/night (moving the store around); you will accidentally break some of the products a lot of the time.

6. "Associate & Asst Store Manager"

Former Employee - Associate & Assistant Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Associate & Assistant Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Our store manager was very flexible with our schedules.

Cons

Pay. After being being there for 5 years as an associate, I was only making just over minimum wage. I was then promoted to Asst. Store Manager and was still several dollars below competitors. I finally got out of retail and am making $3 more per hour and full benefits.

Also, product is not good. Very cheaply made. You'd be surprised what each item is made of!

And as I'm filling out this survey, Alex Smith is no longer the President/CEO. Sharon Leite, our CEO resigned in 2016 and so did Alex Smith, our President and interim CEO. Scary things from above.

Advice to Management

Raise your hourly rate and you'd retain more employees.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting Import and Export Merchandise discounts.

Cons

Overload manual labor, low salaries and poor staffing coverage.

Advice to Management

Not enough a preopeative management and too much of management extremely reactionary. My suggestion for management is.......to do what is right, instead of wanting to always be right. Lead by example.

8. "More people working will help"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Montgomeryville, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Montgomeryville, PA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet some nice people, rewarding to help customers really transform their homes through furniture and decor, store discount of 25%, management makes a point of teaching/coaching frequently to help you progress.

Cons

Some people can be very negative, which brings down the energy/mood of the other people working. Currently understaffed, causing a lot of stress (trying to fix that), haven't gotten much actual management training due to staffing issues.

9. "Great Retail Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Machesney Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Machesney Park, IL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A retailer that treats its part timers well. I always felt valued there and there was always something to do or learn. Also a discount on unique products.

Cons

You have to work nights and weekends unless schedling manager makes exceptions. The pay really isnt great. They used to have benefits for part timers but I think that ended.

Advice to Management

Part-time retail employees have relatively thankless jobs, but I think Pier 1 did a great job of making us feel like we were valued employees. Associate appreciation and the special little bucks over the Christmas season were very special touches. I would work for this company again in a heartbeat if I needed a part-time job.

10. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novato, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a relaxed corporate atmosphere, and I had some great light exercise! I did sales and I met with some other colleagues in the morning to unload furniture and merchandise from trucks. The sales end was tedious, but the customers at my branch were thankfully quite respectful. I enjoyed creating attractive displays and building furniture the most.

Cons

As with almost any retail occupation, the Holidays were an upsetting experience. displays needed constant upkeep. The best word to sum up my negative experiences would be that they were sisyphean.

Advice to Management

If you find yourself managing a Pier 1 Imports, make sure you are fastidious with your freight room. Almost every real problem I experienced was in connection to the freight room being in disarray.

11. "Good Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Willis, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Willis, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports (More than a year)

Pros

I've had some of the best managers I've ever had at Pier 1. They truly care about you as an employee. Quick promotions if you're a hard worker.

Cons

Retail is retail.. which means later nights and weekends. That's just how it is.

Showing 1,540 of 1,548 reviews