Pier 1 Imports Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance for a retail store.

Cons

Not enough growth opportunity past a store manager level.
    Poor pay compare to other retailers

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products to work with

Cons

They do nothing to address bad upper management that causes people to quit

Advice to Management

Upper Management at the company does not listen to complaints. When there was an issue in my region several people in store management called to discuss with hr and nothing was ever done. It made a lot of employees in both management and associate level unhappy and caused many to leave.

"Run for your life if you are offered a job here."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customers, fun experience working with customers to design there home.
    Designing displays in a manner that were appealing to customers was great.

Cons

Management would not listen to you, no consistency in management. Liars and fakes in regional levels. if you were not part on the in crowd you were treated like crap and pushed to quit or threatened to be fired. HR was no help when contacted for support because they were friends with the management.

Advice to Management

grow up and take a management class or two, listen to your employee's and treat everyone equally.

4. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albany, GA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the product. The custmers were always great and the people I worked with were a great group of people.

Cons

The pay could have been better. Floor sets at night.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere! Best employee discount in the business! Nice customers and product. Corporate works with you. Vacation, holiday, personal, sick, 401K, stock discount. Work week average is 45, which is great for retail.

Cons

Too much heavy lifting. Too many promotions happening at the same time, hard for your associates to keep track of. Very little full-time positions, so it's hard to keep really good people. Too much pressure around the Pier 1 card, stresses associates out. Low pay for part time associates, hard to get people in.

Advice to Management

Keep promotions and coupons to a do-able amount, too many, so they lose their value. Give better raises, 2% is embarrassing to give to the associates. Pay managers by their performance and experience, not by their location. Top managers should receive top pay, you need to hold on the good ones!

6. "Don't bother"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous Discount, friendly co-workers, fun

Cons

Low quality merchandise, inconsistent direction, overall company identity crisis

Advice to Management

Support the people who care about the company

7. "Great Environment and Fabulous Coworkers"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the atmosphere and the people I work with. We are all one big family, and that is hard to find in the workplace. The customers are nice and love the brand just as much as we do! I have been with the company almost 8 years now, and I have had several different 2nd jobs that were nowhere near like Pier1.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement is almost absent. I began 8 years ago as a Sales Associate, and am now Assistant Store Manager for going on 2 years now. It seems that in order for me to move up now, I will have to relocate to another city/state, which is not an option for me right now. The hours for associates that really put in the work are not good. They get no more than 8-12 hours a week. Pay is good, with chance for a yearly raise depending on employee performance. I also feel like there is too much pressure surrounding the credit card. Selling strategies have seemed to change from delivering a great customer experience to pushing a credit card in customers faces.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on printing useless information and spend it on the associates who work in brick and mortar stores selling product that makes this company money.

"Run for the hills"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products and sales associates

Cons

Management (corporate and certain store managers) are shady, they play favorites, violate so many safety and DOL laws, their store is physically falling apart and is dangerous. Pay is too low for the amount of hard manual labor you will be forced to do. Corporate is a mess and is way behind in store technology and e-commerce. There is no growth for management and if you are not the regionals "pet", your life will be made into a retail hell. I can't emphasize enough if you are applying for a management position, GO ANYWHERE ELSE! You will be in for a terrible surprise if you accept their (low ball) of an offer

Advice to Management

clean house of all the underperforming store managers who have a ton of complaints from associates and customers, take employee concerns and feedback seriously, don't play favorites, clean your store up and fix them so there aren't 5+ injuries occurring in the store within one year, offer better employee incentives & deal with your issues in a timely, professional manner- not sweep everything under the rug and let it mount up until everything is chaotic. VET YOUR MANAGEMENT!!!! Just because they have seniority doesn't mean they are doing a good job

9. "management"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good support with fellow managers

Cons

cant really think of any

"Assistant store manager"

Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Blaine, MN

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, fun environment, no over time required (usually) great company for anyone in the retail management field. They provide you with tons of problem solving material for any issue that you may encounter. All members of management seem to be "lifers".

Cons

Late nights for transitions or early mornings, lack of a consistent schedule even for a retail job. Physically exhausting at times. Get ready for a work out! Tons of often redundant and arbitrary policies you have to learn, enforce and abide by. Tons of pressure to sell the pier 1 card and their loyalty program, neither of which seem to rival comparable benefit programs of their competitors.