Pierce Manufacturing Employee Reviews about "people first"

Updated Jul 22, 2020

Found 6 of over 117 reviews

3.4
Pierce Manufacturing President James Johnson (no image)
James Johnson
Pros
  • "people first, great culture, cross functional(in 6 reviews)

• "Clean and safe work environment(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You get exposure to upper management that tenured employees will never get which seems slightly unfair(in 6 reviews)

• "Mandatory overtime is the thing I hate the most(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "people first"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Intern

People First Culture

Jul 22, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

people first, great culture, cross functional

Cons

difficult to get hired young

2. 5.0
      Current Intern, more than 3 years

The Oshkosh Family is Great

Oct 1, 2019 - Information Technology in Appleton, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Excellent culture "People First" * Treat Veterans Great * Great Work Life Balance * Higher Management like Jim Johnson and Wilson Jones will take time to meet and motivate interns * Great place to gain experience

Cons

* No 401(k) for interns (regular employees get a match) * No discounted stock options for interns

3. 3.0
      Current Employee

Unique company, great product, need to reevaluate business growth

Jan 11, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Such a unique product, serving everyday heroes -There’s a great demand for our product, adversely creating a production challenge -Most employees are very friendly, and it feels like you work with your family -The “People First” culture is slowly coming to fruition -We are the best at what we do in the fire industry -Great community partner, very involved in giving back

Cons

-I think we’re getting too big for our britches, running out of manufacturing and office spaces, some employee “cubicles” are less than stellar -Extremely old building and equipment. We spend a good majority of our lives working within these walls, it would be appreciated if we could spend that time in the 21st century -This company is completely run by finance and numbers, sadly affecting the quality of our product -You can’t keep forcing overtime, management needs to take a real good look at the root causes and fix them otherwise we’ll be out of business before you know it because there won’t be anyone to build our fine trucks! -With a very old workforce, great employees are retiring, who’s going to want to work here when you’re forcing such overtime? -HR is out of touch with reality and does not respond in a timely manner, if ever

3 people found this review helpful

HR Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We truly value our team members and ideas on how we can improve. Last year we made progress towards renovations within our facilities. This included the transformation of our IPP / 41 lunchrooms, redesign of the main hallway when you enter the 41-front entrance, remodeling of both the HR and Sales lobby, remodeling of the cubes and breakroom area within the Aftermarket Product Support Building, and renovations for our new Pierce Training Center. This is only the beginning and we will continue our enhancement efforts in the future. We continue to pride ourselves on always striving for continuous improvement. Over the last year we have implemented Truck Owner Teams and continue to evaluate our suppliers to ensure we are producing quality trucks while meeting and exceeding our customers’ expectations. I encourage you to bring ideas to the weekly quality improvement meetings, your supervisor and/or our Q&CI team to ensure your voice is heard. A part of our people first initiative is to ensure our team members have a good work/life balance. Over the years we acknowledge that overtime has been high, especially for our production team members, and our actively working with operations leadership on solutions to ensure we can provide team members flexibility while continuing to meet the needs of our customers. Your local HR Team is here to support you and we continue to encourage you to bring your concerns forward so we can address them in a timely manner. We recently implemented a Global HR Services Team to assist our local HR team with answering team members more routine/transactional type of HR related questions. This will allow us to free up more time to support the business and our team members needs. As always, we encourage you to speak with your Supervisor and/or your HR Business partner regarding these or any additional concerns you may have. Thank you for being a part of the Pierce team and helping us strive in making a difference!

4. 5.0
      Current Intern, more than 3 years

Great Company To Intern For!

Mar 23, 2018 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

I couldn't be more proud of my internship at Pierce Manufacturing over the past three years. The people first culture is truly what sets this company apart from the rest by always putting all internal and external customers first. Through my internship, I have had the ability to be exposed to projects and tasks as if I were a full time employee with the company. This experience is truly what has set my future up for success.

Cons

I can't think of any 'cons' at this time.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Large Company that feels small

Sep 27, 2017 - Project Manager in Appleton, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, flexible scheduling, generous PTO, and many opportunities for professional development and training. There seems to be a strong focus on developing employees which is refreshing. Alignment with the Oshkosh Corporation MOVE strategy and focus on People First is evident. People are passionate about the product and some days feel more like family than colleagues.

Cons

Always a space crunch that they are trying to overcome. Also some of the office facilities are not as up to date as others.

HR Generalist

We appreciate your feedback. Pierce is certainly one big family, and we hope this continues to attract quality talent and those who also share the same values. We continue to discuss facilities and ways to improve and update work spaces. If you have any ideas you would like to share, please email us at humanresources@piercemfg.com.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Okay with a lack of diversity

Mar 15, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful product. Corporate leadership is headed in the right direction in trying to change the culture by putting people first and making it a place people WANT to work.

Cons

Biggest issues are a lack of desire to promote from within and a lack of diversity in leadership. From middle management on up there seems to be a lack of desire for minority managers.

3 people found this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We continue to strive to fill many of our positions from within the company but also understand that to create more diversity, we must also look outside the walls of Pierce.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews