KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Pierce Manufacturing

Engaged Employer

Pierce Manufacturing

Add a Review

Pierce Manufacturing Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 12, 2021

Found 6 of over 117 reviews

3.3
Pierce Manufacturing President James Johnson (no image)
James Johnson
Pros
  • "people first, great culture, cross functional(in 6 reviews)

• "Clean and safe work environment(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You get exposure to upper management that tenured employees will never get which seems slightly unfair(in 6 reviews)

• "Mandatory overtime is the thing I hate the most(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A good place so far

Jan 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I like a challenging work environment and that is exactly what I get. I cannot speak for other parts of the company but Pierce does a good job of pushing me to succeed without setting me up for failure.

Cons

Some might think of this as a Pro, but being an intern here is one of the best things that could happen to you. You get exposure to upper management that tenured employees will never get which seems slightly unfair.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Pierce Manufacturing Response

VPHR

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We are glad that your internship is proving to be a rewarding experience and certainly appreciate your contributions to the team! We are continually seeking out new and creative ways to provide our teams various opportunities that help enhance their day-to-day experience during their time at Pierce. Should you have specific suggestions for us, please connect with your HR Business Partner or Supervisor to share them. Great ideas matter!

2. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

I have worked here for 15 years. This is the worst I have ever been treated by a employer.

Jan 12, 2021 - Graphic Designer in Appleton, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are no pros. I would not recommend anyone working here.

Cons

Very unprofessional and unpleasant work environment for upper management all the way down to the HR department.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee

People First = Disciplinary Tool

Aug 17, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great industry - lots of pride in what you do for Customer!

Cons

Upper management uses People First Culture as a tool to discipline and terminate hardworking people who are not liked or “in the clique”. Don’t make the wrong person mad, or you will be fired.

4. 2.0

Experience is ignored

Mar 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is very good. Also between vacation and shutdowns you can have up to 6-7 weeks off per year.

Cons

Upper management has turned its head to the importance of experience. Pierce used to pride itself on long term employment with people having 20+ years of fire truck manufacturing experience. Now they bring in college grads, who most likely don't know the first thing about building a fire truck, to manage the place. Pierce is a special kind of manufacturer that specializes in custom designs and options. No two trucks are the same. In my opinion experience is better than a degree in this type of environment. Now a days pierce will let a guy with 30 years of experience retire and replace him with a kid fresh out of high school.

Pierce Manufacturing Response

Human Resources Representative

Thanks for taking the time to voice your concern and write a review. Pierce values the experience of all team members. We are currently working on programs and training to address the transferring of knowledge from our tenure team members to new team members. Please contact us if you'd like to further discuss the challenges or provide more detail at humanresources@piercemfg.com or 920-832-3000.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Pierce was a great company but now only a name.

Dec 1, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not many pros anymore unless you are friends with Jones or Johnson.

Cons

Years ago there was the proper management that not only built this company with innovative designs and quality but also utilized common sense. You could also grow inside the company. The past few years they laid off the senior folks that had the knowledge and relationships. They now have a ton of inexperienced employees (blue and white color) and upper management only cares for the bottom line. The feeling of accomplishment and proud to work for Pierce is no longer there and all current employees do not know if they have a job the next day or not. Sad and stressful environment.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Pierce’s 100 year old company is slowly being destroyed by corporate hacks

Oct 20, 2014 - Engineer in Mumbai
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally good pay and benefits.

Cons

High Level Management is terrible and getting worse. Despite the positive image being spun by various company officers, the truth is that the majority of office and factory employees are treated quite poorly. There is a never ending state of overtime and tremendous pressure to overcome lack of personnel. While it is abundantly clear there is not enough people to do the work required, the company keeps cutting valuable and dedicated people while bringing in a continuous stream of VPs and directors from Oshkosh Corp. Although a rare few VPs are talented and offer great leadership most of the good leaders quickly leave. The majority of the Oshkosh transplants have very poor regard for Pierce employees and are disrespectful of Pierce business practices. They are convinced Pierce is screwed up and needs major changes to be just like Oshkosh. Many changes implemented are ill-conceived, poorly thought out, under staffed and poorly executed causing a huge waste of capital, resources and damage to the business. There is also exceptionally poor communication between upper management and working staff and a culture of secrecy. Employees are keep in dark about almost everything and are reluctant to speak up contribute ideas or raise questions because of intimidation and fear of retribution. You just need to do what your told and keep your mouth shut or you won’t be around long. There is no recognition for a job well done. Promotions of working staff are frequently withheld for financial reasons while corporate and upper management are getting significant rewards.

9 people found this review helpful