Pierpont Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Wonderful Company"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Pierpont Communications as an intern

Pros

The people here are wonderful to work with, and are very talented at what they do. Even though I was only a summer intern, I always felt included on whatever projects would pop up as well as ongoing projects. This is an amazing place to work, and an even more wonderful place to intern if you are looking to dive into the PR industry. The people here are always very kind and willing to offer their advice and aid if you should have a question or need assistance on a project.

Cons

No cons to my experience, just wish I could've worked here longer!

2. "Uptight Office"

Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Pierpont Communications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned the fast-paced environment of a PR agency and how to manage multiple clients and projects. I was given real work, except for having to do all the dishes.

Cons

The office environment is very quiet and uptight. It feels very stone-aged compared to newer agencies that have more progressive and forward-thinking environments. Also, very boring and can be unprofessional. A co-worker of mine had very unprofessional comments made to her in her review. It's also unpaid and had to work 25 hrs/wk which made it difficult to have a job on the side while going to school full-time.

Advice to Management

Re-think the whole traditional agency environment. Study newer agencies that are involved with social media and more forward-thinking office ideals. Also, make sure that whoever manages the interns is kind and respectful. Maybe have two people reviewing the interns.

3. "Great firm with even better people!"

Former Intern - Public Relations Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Public Relations Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Pierpont Communications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My three-month experience with Pierpont was packed full of way too many 'pros' to keep track of. As an intern, they really made you a valuable part of the team. From my first day in May to my last in August, I was working on real projects for clients (and did not fetch coffee once). The maximum of 29 hours per week is a good amount for any college student just trying to get a feel for PR and the office environment.

Cons

Hardly any cons at all about Pierpont. I wasn't paid, but that is to be expected in the industry today. Especially when it's your first internship.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Management always seemed fair and stayed involved with everyone (even the interns) daily.

"Best place to gain hands-on PR experience/training"

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Pierpont Communications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pierpont is a reputable name and company brand to have on a resume AND provides excellent hands-on experience to young professionals.

Friendly work environment and colleagues that take a genuine interest in teaching and developing friendships with junior staff members. I recommend Pierpont to any young professional/graduate student looking to gain training in PR, PA & communications.

Cons

Only part-time internship opportunities are currently offered at Pierpont, but the hours that are allowed are much more than shredding papers, making copies, etc. Ultimately, the part-time hours are concentrated, valuable time to learn about PR in an agency setting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work environment. Humble and generous with his time, the CEO is great about connecting to all employees and keeping the interests of the office staff in mind.

5. "Commitment Given, Commitment Received"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pierpont Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Give your best, and the organization rewards you with outstanding benefits, good communication, bonuses, and regular activities, celebrations, and parties. Client base is a broad mix across verticals and from the Fortune 50 to Entrepreneurs. Senior leadership is engaged and listens. Strong group of middle management and junior staff with talent and ambition.

Cons

Hard to find cons, because problems are identified and dealt with quickly. I've never been at a more active and generous employer in terms of structuring for the support of its employees. The dedication to retaining, training and supporting employees is the best I've ever seen.

Advice to Management

Keep up the engagement, the listening, and the rewards for your employees because it shows in their hard work, dedication, and longevity.

6. "Only focused on the billable hours"

I have been working at Pierpont Communications full-time

Pros

Hardworking team members, good name to have on resume in Houston, decent healthcare, good location by Galleria.

Cons

Bad pay in relation to industry, bonuses not based on how hard you work or meeting goals but subjective management deciding whether they want to share or not, "I stayed latest at the office so I win" mentality, lack of understanding by management of what junior folks do on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Find a better balance between quality (of working there) and quantity (of revenue). Remember that your people are your product!

"Agency Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Pierpont Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big name in Texas, PR World
    Great events
    Good senior leadership

Cons

Long hours
    Unhappy employees
    No teamwork

"Not bad, not great."

Former Employee - PR Account Services in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - PR Account Services in Houston, TX

I worked at Pierpont Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart staff and some senior folks are great to learn PR from. Free coffee. Free parking. Partial healthcare benefits provided. Some managers really do seem to care about the people.

Cons

Pay is well below average, bonus plan is a joke and may be worth one good run to the grocery store, overloaded staff has to put in ridiculous hours, you'd think it was Google by the way management acts like you should be honored to work there. Working weekends and on vacation is common. Must speak buzzword to succeed. Seems to be some level of preference for men. If not part of the cool-kids crowd you'll be stuck in promotion limbo forever.

Advice to Management

There's a saying that people don't leave jobs, they leave managers. It's true. Wake up and smell the frappachino.

9. "Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pierpont Communications part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Based upon my numerous years in communication including executive time at two international agencies, Pierpont is second to none. Our agency has a positive family culture, professional competitive atmosphere, smart resourceful people and demonstrated business success. ...voted "best places to work" consistently.

Cons

The agency will test and challenge you. If you can't provide excellence, dedication, loyalty, hard work and react to continual change ....don't apply.

10. "Professional yet family atmosphere"

Pros

Smart colleagues, good clients, rewarding work. Excellent place for recent graduates to get experience in a fast-paced, challenging environment. Close-knit, family atmosphere.

Cons

Typical agency pay, but below corporate/industry standards. Top-heavy management structure leads to the lion share of the day-to-day work falling on junior staff.