Pill Club Reviews | Glassdoor

Pill Club Reviews

Updated Nov 13, 2019

Pill Club CEO Nick Chang (no image)
Nick Chang
  1. Featured Review

"Start-up on a Great Mission"

Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Pill Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Many opportunities for enterprising self-starters to learn and grow. -Management is focused on creating a great employee experience and improving communication. - Great mission to improve access to family planning education and contraception. - Lots of improvements on going with benefits. - Flexible work environment for some groups.

Cons

- Some of the executive team is learning while doing. - Some team members can be resistant to change and are not always solution oriented.

Pill Club2019-11-13

"Fast-Paced Environment with Power to Own Your Channel Working Alongside Amazing People"

Current Employee - Brand Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pill Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

- LOVE the people here - friendly, cross-collaborative, and supportive - All ideas are welcome regardless of the department you're in - You have the opportunity to build the channel you own as it is a startup so you can truly hone in on your expertise and develop the structure - Super fast-paced workload (can be a pro or con depending how you look at it but makes the time fly by!) - Flexible working schedule +... WFH Wednesdays - Plethora of food, snacks, goodies! (you name it, we more than likely have it and always open to suggestions)

Cons

- Growing pains (inevitable for all startups) - There are lot of meetings but think it's needed for now as we're still in the building phase of particular departments and programs - Improvement on company wide communication (we're working on it)

Pill Club2019-10-23
  3. "High school behavior/ Nobody is on the same page"

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Pill Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

HR is nice and helpful when started

Cons

High school behavior Nobody is on the same page No growth

Pill Club2019-10-15

"Great company in the making; Great Cause out the gate"

I have been working at Pill Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are amazing. I’m lucky and get to work with entry level people to senior leadership- and we are united in a single cause. I enjoy working with everyone no matter their title. There is a lot of potential and raw talent.

Cons

Change happens fast and leadership is still working on effective and impactful communication channels like all hands, one on ones, team meetings, and so much more.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the team. Develop more channels for recognition and career advancement.

Pill Club2019-08-29
  5. "Good and bads"

Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Pill Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stacked kitchen, easy workflow, lenient with schedule

Cons

Lack of communication between everyone in the company

Pill Club2019-08-16

"Beware: feminist facade run by toxic men who only care about titles and bank accounts."

Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Pill Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Helps women across the country get access to birth control - Free snacks - flexible working schedule - employees who are good at kissing butt and don’t question anything will go far here

Cons

If you’re drawn to Pill Club by the promises of women empowerment and helping out young people ... run far, far away: it’s a money making facade, piggybacking on the feminist movement. Make no mistake: this is NOT a feminist company. This is a company founded by a self-absorbed man who quickly realized that birth control is one of the most profitable medications to ship to patients. That would be all fine and dandy... if he actually had true empathy for women’s struggles. He might say he does in his speeches and news interviews, but his actions say otherwise. Examples: Something like 80% of the company is female, but most of upper management is male. Most investors are male and most people calling the shots are male. How much the CEO listens to you depends on how much you follow in the wake of everyone else who kisses his butt. He employs management from his all-boys clubs suggestions, and the male management doesn’t really care about female input. Men repeatedly call the shots, and compared to female colleagues, they have less education and experience in the areas they are trying to lead. Don’t believe me? Look at the reviews on Glassdoor. “Sexist company” is repeated in many of the one-star reviews. And the few women we have in high-power positions keep leaving. Also, the CEO opts to pay the patient care and pharmacist teams horrible wages and makes them work in small, dark, run down, nearly windowless rooms ... most of these employees are also, but not coincidentally, women.

Advice to Management

You have lots of women on your staff who care deeply about this cause, as it has affected them and many women they love. To see people be hired, who are just there for the fancy title and stock options is disheartening and insults our stock in women’s rights. We see through your actions that you don’t really care, because if you did, you would be asking the women to sit at the decision making tables and ask for... their opinions. You would pay the people in the pharmacy and patient care (mostly women) better wages and give them better working conditions. Pill Club, I beg of you, show us in your actions that you’re a feminist company. Not your continued empty promises.

Pill Club2019-08-29

"NO ADVANCEMENT FOR WOMEN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Pill Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

My colleagues are positive, friendly people. The work schedule is pretty flexible. If you want to make a difference by increasing access to birth control, this is one place to do it.

Cons

No room for growth especially if you're a woman. There are no women on the executive team-- they do not advance and promote women. As other reviews have stated, it's a boardroom of men determining women's healthcare. I know of many female colleagues who did great work who were turned down for promotions and/or raises by their male managers. It could be because the Founder and board are ALL MEN and do not... genuinely believe in women's equality, just the financial reward of this startup.

Advice to Management

It is blatantly obvious among employees, how hypocritical the leadership is when it comes to supporting women.

Pill Club2019-08-07

"Lack of communication"

Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Pill Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a startup, not that many pros.

Cons

It was interesting at first but then you start realizing that updates are being made without communication to the patient care team. So most of the patient care team gets confused when things start rolling out and you don't know what to do or how to handle patients with the new update. Lack of cross training. If you've been here long enough they offer more positions that you can apply for internally but hen they end... up hiring someone externally. No growth, unless you are super motivated at the job or have some kind of pharmacist or medical degree.

Advice to Management

I know that People Ops is trying to be better but I wish I had more opportunities from the start.

Pill Club2019-06-11

"Picture call center masquerading as a women's health organization"

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator

I worked at Pill Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy monotonous job, relaxed dress code, good coworkers

Cons

Metrics aren't accurately reported. There is absolutely no room for growth and zero potential for raises. Benefits are limited. Leadership is entirely male and cannot even describe the company's mission, values, or even culture. There is no incentive to work hard especially if there is no possibility of getting a raise or a promotion. Morale is non existent for that reason. There also wasn't a HR department when I... left. While the company provides a much needed service for women it does little to help the women it employees.

Advice to Management

Have a clear direction on where the company is going. "We are a startup" is not an excuse for lack of communication.

Pill Club2019-07-03

"Great company to gain experience as a first time job, but not much advancement."

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator

I worked at Pill Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work/life balance, people are very friendly (at least my department was) and there was always good snacks in the kitchen. Leads were always willing to help and although it can get overwhelming with the workload at times, they understood that you can't always get your work done as long as you do what you can and it is important to take your breaks. Flexible schedule/hours.

Cons

Low pay (not sustainable for the Bay area), benefits were lacking (although getting better I have to admit), management did not care about the patient care team, stressful at times due to the volume of patients handled by such a small team and lack of communication across other departments.

Advice to Management

Perhaps hold weekly or biweekly meetings where each department can meet with Nick/management to emphasize any questions and concerns that the employees might have. Put more effort into hearing from each department directly. Increase pay for the patient care team if they want to increase retention rate.

Pill Club2019-05-21