Pillar Hotels and Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Russell

Pros
  • Hotel Discounts is the only pro to working with this company (in 9 reviews)

• They are easily accessible and always willing to help (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much arbitrary busy work; Confused upper management; Unreasonable deadlines; Why are there so many conference calls (in 18 reviews)

• Front desk supervisor was always late but time sheet always reflected that she was there on time (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very well structured.

Cons

As of now, I do not have any complaints.

"First supervisor I had was great."

Former Employee - Task Force General Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Task Force General Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Second supervisor 6 months later, not so great.

Cons

Being a Task Force Manager is a thankless job and went into the position knowing this upfront, but you think your supervisor would be understanding.

Advice to Management

I would recommend an exit interview process for any employee who leaves for any reason.

"STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY !!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

REALLY GOOD LIARS !!! AND FAKE PEOPLE IN MANAGEMENT

Cons

This company has the worst and most unprofessional training for it's staff. The General Managers do nothing to support staff. HR does't help to support with employee issues.
    No wonder this company is merging with Aimbridge Hospitality they need the help to survive. All their hotels across the country are in very poor condition. It's because they treat staff like crap,So it reflects on the properties due to high turn over in staff. If you take a job with this company be prepared do everything except for what you were hired to do!!!!!!!!!! And then get written up for not doing what you where hired to do!!

Advice to Management

The whole company needs to have new management make over !!! Chris Russell should addition for undercover boss Tv show. Maybe he would help????

"Crap"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that i can think of.

Cons

The management have their heads so far up their butts to really help anyone there. I was employed there part time (at my request due to baby's separation anxiety), and then after about 2 months i was working 35-40 hrs a week, and they would not contact HR to change my status to full time because they didn't want to deal with it. THEIR WORDS. They will not give anyone raises (regardless of how long they've worked there), they didn't do any acknowledgments of employees who've been there for 5+ years. They treated staff horribly. I would NEVER work for them again. They don't care if you have families or other responsibilities, they will not work with you for personal issues if it wasn't stated in your interview.

Advice to Management

Get new management

6. "Hard work,"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Nice co-workers. Fast paced. Quickly adaptable. Fun. You meet a lot of new people, and you learn very quickly.

Cons

Pay is not enough to support yourself. Not willing to help you grow. This job is a more, stay in one spot type of job.

"Depends on your region"

Former Employee - Area General Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Area General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked on the east coast under an awesome RDO, who is no longer with the company. All corporate management was very helpful. Culture was a big focus on the east coast and I loved this company SO much.

Cons

I moved my family across country to stay with this company because I loved it so much. It's very hard to rate Pillar because it was great under one region and then an absolute nightmare on the west coast. The RDO in Las Vegas is an extreme micromanager, very unprofessional, and focuses her job on favoritism. She does not let her general managers run the hotel at all and is not supportive at all of any of her managers. She focuses on the negatives, never recognizes anybody for hard work, and shouldn't be kept with this company. I worked for this company for 3 years and loved what it stands for, they need to get rid of the bad "leaders" to keep their good name.

Advice to Management

Interview all associates and management in Las Vegas and you will see this region needs a lot of help and is extremely unhappy. She gives Pillar a bad name and you will lose a lot of excellent workers.

"It's a joke"

Former Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discounts. Decent pay. That's all.

Cons

In sales you're held to a high standard which is fine. Sales makes the money. But the gms and operations managers are not held to the same standard. They get away with everything from coming in late or not at all to taking 3 hour lunches everyday. If you ask them to help with something they say it's not there job. The worst was the area ops. allowed all this to happen and either pretends not to know or doesn't care. Comes by all high and mighty only to take people to lunch on there first day.

Advice to Management

Ask people their opinions on upper managers

"Not good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairborn, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairborn, OH

Pros

Get paid on time...cannot think of any other positive aspect

Cons

Micromanaged to the extreme. Lose benefits every year. Unreasonable expectations. Would rather hire from outside than within

Advice to Management

Try and put yourselves in the employees place that are actually in the middle of the situation. Stop sitting in your ivory tower and think you know what is going on.

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

Original Area manager was very helpful and was always there at any time to assist with difficult situations. Given choices to determine hiring and terminating associates.

Cons

Once original hiring area manager left it was obvious that the days of many associates was numbered. Refusal of corporate to put money into renovating failing areas of the property led to negative guest scores but the GM was held accountable anyway.

Advice to Management

Hotel was taken over by the bank due to hotel franchise not putting the money into the property and they defaulted on their franchise. New owners and under a new flag.

"I hear its only getting worse since I left 2 years ago!"

Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

When I was working they had a good health care plan and bonus plan. I hear this is not the case any longer though.

Cons

Asked for a pay raise after a male colleague at smaller hotel, in a smaller town was hired at 7k more a year then what I was making after 6 years with the company. Consistent 5% increases year over year due to excellent performance, recruited for, trained and managed our manager in training program, was a new GM trainer and a train the trainer, exceptionally high GSS with no reno done on hotel in over 8 years. Not only did it take me whispering EECO claim of gender inequality to get someone to finally listen when I asked for raise to match the buffoon who walked off the job after 3 months but but then I was told A. I should have negotiated my starting wage ( I did and I they only met me in the middle) B. I was told the taxes were higher in state (right over the border) then mine, mind you my hotel had the name of a major city in the title so no I don't think so, C. I had an AGM and he didn't, I worked without an AGM for 4 years until I got one and it was only because I was training for the company so much. Begrudging they company agreed to only match this persons salary and no more. I was humiliated after years of hard work and going the extra mile. Also no renovation but expected us to meet new brand guidelines when our hotel was outdated by several years but they wasn't an excuse enough to not meeting the guidelines. Asking for rate increases for accounts YOY when they weren't putting money back into our hotels for the guest made it difficult to retain accounts. Bonus program use to be great but they changed it every year making it hard and harder again putting no money back into the properties to help management.

Advice to Management

Simple: Put money and training in to your employees and guests (hotels) to retain. Also treat your hard working and loyal employees BETTER! Leaving was the best thing I ever did for my health and sanity. Stop reshuffling they same corporate people into positions and paying them higher salaries while you managers and hourly staff make low pay.