Pilot Flying J Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam
Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Fast paced, decent pay, flexible schedules (in 49 reviews)

• Solid company with truly great people that aim to help you get the job done with a smile on your face (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management takes longer to act on their final decisions (in 35 reviews)

• unfortunatley lead driver wasn't willing to provide schedule with work life balance after almost two years of quality employment that I provided (in 14 reviews)

1. "Travel Center General Manager"

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The guest and co workers

Cons

Long hours Short staffed all the time

"Good ol boy company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, meet a lot of different people.

Cons

If you are not a good ol boy you will not fit it. I have had a experience of being bullied, discriminated against, threatened and told I was stupid by an upper management employee. If you disagree with something you are labeled a troublemaker. They state they listen to their employees but they do not.On top of taking abuse from the truck drivers we should not have to take abuse from the boss.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your Regional Managers and see the way they treat their store employees, might give you a clue to your turnover.

"Deli Worker"

Former Employee - Deli Worker
    Former Employee - Deli Worker

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The food was pretty good.

Cons

Management
    Employees
    Pay
    Basically everything

"I felt trapped"

Former Employee - Maintenance
    Former Employee - Maintenance

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. At least you get paid. Sometimes you get a food discount.

Cons

Took the job because I needed money and was willing to do crap work to get by. This was a crap job. I was hired to clean showers and be a janitor. But, I was expected to clean sometimes 100 plus showers per shift as well as clean all four huge bathrooms, mop the whole store, sweep, clean and stock the coffee bar, pull all trash outside and inside, as well as wash all dirty towels. I was on a shift by myself most days and doing ALL of it was next to impossible. I'm a woman and was told not to worry about cleaning the men's room (we had no closed for cleaning signs so men would walk in and use the bathroom while I was trying to clean), but if I didn't clean them they wouldn't get done and a crap toilet looks bad on me. So, I did what I could. When I asked for a closed for maintenance sign, I was told it was against Flying J protocol because they aren't allowed to close restrooms...how the hell are you supposed to clean it then?! They won't even put up a sign to remind people not to flush tampons down the toilet. You know how many times I had to mop up crap water in the women's room? A lot. That's a health hazard. People step in it and walk all through the store making crap prints everywhere. It's disgusting. But they can't put up signs to help prevent it because that'd be "telling people what to do". Getting harassed by Truckers constantly didn't make me feel safe and frankly I wanted to just up and leave some days it was so bad. Not only that, but we would constantly run out of towels because customers would steal them. I would get chewed out for a mess left from the previous shift who didn't do their job. I'd work until 11 pm and then be expected to come in at 5 am the next day when the schedule said to come in at 3pm just a day prior. I'd have to constantly check to make sure when I was supposed to come in and I never worked the same days every week. I missed a day or two when I first started by accident because my schedule changed without me knowing about it...and got chewed out for it. I also didn't get the hours I was promised. All in all, it was a horrible experience. The manager had a "I don't give a ****" attitude and when I expressed concern about job safety, or brought up ideas to help make the job better I was brushed off. I did get a good performance review, but frankly the bump in pay was mere cents. Not worth it. I did the same type of work at another place and made at least 1.50 more when I started AND felt 10x safer.

Advice to Management

Get better managers. Have a decent training period. Hire competent workers.

Mar 13, 2017 – Community and Public Relations Coordinator

We take claims like yours very seriously. Please email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com with specific details pertaining to your experience so we may address.

"Pilot Flying J is HORRIBLE!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there are no best reasons to work for this ridiculous company that undermined you and control the temperature of the location from the home office. NOT worth it!!! Too much drama as well at the workplace! Who wants to wake up 5 or 6 days a week and work in this kind of environment!!! The place is FILTHY and they want you to get on your hands/knees and clean up the filth that the previous management left for you!

Cons

They expect you to do "DIRTY JOBS", truckers always verbally harass you daily, not the environment I will ever work in again! They say there is room to grow, but when you speak of this, they totally look the other way! The CLAIM there is growth and upward opportunity, BUT DON"T LET THEM FOOL YOU!!!

Advice to Management

Don't post a job that don't exist! Don't ask me to relocate when I never signed up to do so! Find better recruiters that actually like talking to people! No wonder the like of the CEO is under 60%! Maybe I should apply to your competitor-Love's Travel Shops(LOL).

Mar 13, 2017 – Community and Public Relations Coordinator

7. "Shift supervisor"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Napoleon, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Napoleon, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace, pay, bonus, insurance

Cons

The company beliefs aren't practiced at store level. Lots of drama. Regional managers doesn't see what is really going on, due to always scheduling their visits. No work home life balance. Lots of store level retaliation. Whatever you do don't file a ethic report. They won't really address it and you will be left to pay the price.

Advice to Management

Take your employees complaint seriously. Understand that in some cases your regional manager has a relationship with the managers and aren't the best to deal with the problem. Make unannounced visits, regionals always know and tell when the jet is down. Take care of your employees and they will take care of your drivers!!

8. "Pilot Flying J"

Pros

The owners of Pilot are great. They have the employees best interest at heart.

Cons

It is lower level management that is the problem. You can't manage a department by reading books on how to manage. What a complete disaster. It is a shame that what started as a great job and department completely went downhill because of one new employee and a manager that let it happen.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open. Don't have closed door meetings with select people in your department. Letting one employee influence your decisions is a classic management mistake.

9. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Franklin, KY
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Franklin, KY

Pros

Flexible scheduling no pre-employment drug screen and depending on position no back ground check either

Cons

I was hired on making $1-1.50 less an hour than the other three recently hired team members, only one of them had previous experience and 2 of the three were felons like myself. We all were given additional responsibilities and duties but were never eligible for promotion.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to advance based on ability and willingness to do their jobs instead of holding them down because of their back ground and morale will be much higher.

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

At Pilot Flying J, we understand that you need a career that’s taking you places. We offer unique opportunities for advancement and several programs for development for our corporate and store team ... More

"Upper management can not be trusted"

Former Employee - Travel Center Manager in Beaverdam, OH
    Former Employee - Travel Center Manager in Beaverdam, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent bonus. Nothing too outstanding, but decent

Cons

The upper management made the job too stressful. They have outright lied to me and my bosses many times. There is no regard for sexual discrimination and ethics. Someone in HR should be watching.

Advice to Management

Treat your people with a little dignity. Follow the lead of the founder, Mr Haslam. He woiuld be very unhappy if he knew how people were really being treated. Especially, women. If your not eye candy and you stand up to the all male upper management, you will soon be gone. If they don't have a valid reason, they will manufacture one.

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Guest service and team member satisfaction are two of our top priorities at Pilot Flying J. We strive to hire managerial candidates who are the most qualified and ... More

"They Don't Care About Their Employees!!!!"

Former Employee - Food Service Leader in New Albany, MS
    Former Employee - Food Service Leader in New Albany, MS

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not easy to get fired, if you become one of their puppets!!!!

Cons

Work you like a slave. You got to sit back and watch others get away with a lot. They only care about their customers not their employees!!! You got to work every holiday!!! If you're not one of their puppets, I feel sorry for you!!!

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism!!! Put more people on the schedule so others won't have to work like slaves!!!! Better pay because you have to put up with a lot stuff working for this company!! I hated this job!!!

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for the helpful feedback. Guest service and team member satisfaction are two of our top priorities at Pilot Flying J. We take claims like yours seriously. Please email us directly at ... More