Pilot Flying J Reviews | Glassdoor

Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated February 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Fast paced, decent pay, flexible schedules (in 49 reviews)

• Solid company with truly great people that aim to help you get the job done with a smile on your face (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management takes longer to act on their final decisions (in 34 reviews)

• unfortunatley lead driver wasn't willing to provide schedule with work life balance after almost two years of quality employment that I provided (in 14 reviews)

1. "Subway at Pilot Travel Cent."

Former Employee - CSM in Decatur, AL
    Former Employee - CSM in Decatur, AL

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good people, stays busy, paperless paycheck

Cons

not enough benefits or pay, too many chiefs not enough Indians

Advice to Management

listen to employees and lose your power trip

"Store manager"

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the Team members once staffed.

Cons

Never staffed. Above store support does not allow Store manager to hire management team. New store policies prohibited enough team member hours to serve customers.

Advice to Management

Hire better above Store management. Train them to be hands on.

3. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Latta, SC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Latta, SC

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time

Pros

Hired as full time right away. My colleague got hired part but she was hired 2 days ahead of me anyway it doesnt make any difference since pilot giving her full time hours just like mine.

Cons

Would love to have health insurance but $45 a week $180 a month is too much. I cant afford to lose that much money especially I am not sickly person but would love to have a health insurance just dont wanna pay that much.

Advice to Management

I wish they could lower the insurance for like $25 a month especially to a healthy employee like me. I dont smoke I dont drink just dont do any vices. I believe I am physically fit just want to have at least once or twice general check up yearly.

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to caring for our team members with proper benefits support. Please email us at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com if you'd like to discuss your concerns ... More

5. "Pilot Flying J"

Pros

The owners of Pilot are great. They have the employees best interest at heart.

Cons

It is lower level management that is the problem. You can't manage a department by reading books on how to manage. What a complete disaster. It is a shame that what started as a great job and department completely went downhill because of one new employee and a manager that let it happen.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open. Don't have closed door meetings with select people in your department. Letting one employee influence your decisions is a classic management mistake.

6. "Skill development"

Current Employee - GSL in Waddy, KY
    Current Employee - GSL in Waddy, KY

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team members are like family!

Cons

The store needs a remodel bad. Hard to compete with other truck stops when we don't have enough room or storage to operate at a better success rate. Some truckers are rude and do not have any respect for property or staff. The major percent are good hard working blue collar folks just like us.

Advice to Management

Patients is a virtue. Teach procedure and routine. Eventually it will sink in like clock work,

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. If you'd like to discuss your concerns further, please email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com.

7. "Deli Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Deli Shift Lead in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Deli Shift Lead in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great advancement and transfer opportunities

Cons

Favoritism, no communication, HR doesn't follow up with complaints, Alert line is a scam.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for notifying us about your experience at Pilot Flying J. Please contact us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com to discuss your feedback further.

"Shift Leader/ Co Manager"

Pros

Pay and benefits were decent but better than most places around the area. You meet A LOT of truckers who generally overall are pretty cool to talk to. They don't necessarily like corporate but realize you are at the bottom of the totem pole so they try not to get pissy with you.
    Also, everyone from General Manager on down are usually nice which makes the job easier to deal with.

Cons

Not flexible with hours in the budget. Corporate needs to realize that one person can't do the jobs of three people. I've worked several 30+ hour shifts with one or two breaks because we couldn't "afford" more workers so I had to run the registers, clean showers, and cook food by myself.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to realize that you need to hire more people to have the store run more efficiently. Also, they need to stop firing management so quickly! They go through so many General Managers and Regional Managers which can make it hard to deal with because everyone has different dictatorship styles. If corporate could stop focusing on money, and focused on what their employees are saying, then things would work out!

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We’re committed to strengthening our team dynamics on an ongoing basis, and we strive to place managerial candidates in roles that best compliment their skills and their ... More

9. "Maintance Lead"

Current Employee - Maintenance Lead in Mountain Home, ID
    Current Employee - Maintenance Lead in Mountain Home, ID

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

job security just do yourwork and all team members help each other

Cons

not enough pay for the work we idea

Advice to Management

Pay your loyal employees for doing above and beyond

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We hold ourselves to the most current industry compensation standards. Please email us at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com if you'd like to discuss ... More

10. "GSM - TCGM"

Current Employee - Travel Center Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Travel Center Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pace of the business.
    You great people and make good connections with your Guests.
    You develop a bond with your team

Cons

No work/life balance. On call 24/7.

Use your own gas/car to pick up supplies or other items for the store. We used to get compensated to go to the bank everyday, but we have to go to the grocery store everyday for fruit and it is further away.

No room for advancement.

Driver panel - used as punishment instead of helping you fix your problems or elevate on your successes. Drivers blackmail you with it.

Moved computer to the sales floor and it takes twice as long to do your paperwork and you get to stand while doing it!!

Advice to Management

Listen to your people on the ground.
    Make changes that help the Guests and Team.
    Be realistic with your expectations with the resources you give us.

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for the helpful feedback, and for notifying us about your experience at Pilot Flying J. Guest service and team member satisfaction are two of our top priorities at Pilot Flying J. We take ... More

"My opinion of flying j"

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time

Pros

good company used to be better

Cons

they are to quick to fire someone upper management come in and messes things up they are clue less to the daily operations and how much you put your self into a job

Advice to Management

The store manager in charge should be the one to fire someone they know the person and know if they are good worker or not.

Jan 27, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We’re committed to strengthening our team dynamics on an ongoing basis. If you've experienced any management issues (past or present) within our company, we are here to ... More