Pilot Flying J Reviews | Glassdoor

Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated October 11, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced, decent pay, flexible schedules (in 55 reviews)

• Excellent benefits and great people interested in your growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • False promises made by upper management (in 39 reviews)

• unfortunatley lead driver wasn't willing to provide schedule with work life balance after almost two years of quality employment that I provided (in 18 reviews)

1. "customers should be number one"

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

loved the customers and some of the managers that liked to work and treated customers how they were supposed to be treated

Cons

bad managment and most of the time would hire shift leads that didnt want to work but like to boss people around. Had to do more than just your job cause others wouldn't work. they don't give you your over time they just try to send you home early. your raise was only a .25 one they suck

Advice to Management

get people in there that actually want to work for their money and not just play around and take selfies all day.

Jul 21, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We’re committed to strengthening our team dynamics on an ongoing basis. Please email us at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com if you'd like to discuss your concerns further.... More

2. "Continous Set-Up-To-Fail Syndrome"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Atalissa, IA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Atalissa, IA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Benefits

Shift Managers are guaranteed at least 35 hours a week

You get to meet all kinds of people from around the world

Corporate is working to better engage employee needs

Cons

Toxic work environment

High Turnover

Poor Training and Communication

Spontaneous Work hour schedule 1-2 weeks in advance

Little understanding of Herzberg's theory of Motivation or Organizational Development on the Store level

Mislabeled job titles

Advice to Management

Need to really work hard on improving the work environment and understanding employee needs, as well as their life outside of work!

Jun 12, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. Please email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com if you'd like to discuss your concerns further. We are here to listen.

"Stay away..."

Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Roberts, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Roberts, WI

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can become day shift management you'd have it made. Otherwise steer clear. At The interview they make the The job sound fantastic after about a week you realize it's not.

Cons

No communication, management is to busy socializing. Day shift expects night shift to do everything including stocking the coolers when there is only two people to cover everything at night it's just not possible.

"High volume retail environment, but a very demanding job."

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Changing environment, fast paced retail. Good benefits.

Cons

Open all hours, everyday. Very demanding environment from upper management with little compensation.

Advice to Management

Consistent leadership and people development should be a focus.

"Fuel Desk Cashier"

Former Employee - Fuel Desk Cashier in Fairview, TN
    Former Employee - Fuel Desk Cashier in Fairview, TN

Pros

Enjoyed the customers and most of my co-workers

Cons

They don't care about seniority or job performance. It's all in who is that managers favor

Advice to Management

Corporate get new management

"Management"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Beach, ND
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Beach, ND

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You make good money when you're hourly

Cons

The coworkers are awful and no one in upper management cares they'll promise you things and never follow through

Advice to Management

Get manager that will do there job and not sit around all day writing up other managers that actually are doing there job and remind them they're there to work not make friends don't listen to another employee's​opinion about someone at least have one conversation before pushing them out

"Company only cares about "their" money"

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay if you like working A LOT OF HOURS, free soda (what a pro), you get holidays off well kind of. The day after that is, or when your regional allows it. Vacation oh not allowed June 1rst - Aug. because winter vacations are so much fun (NOT)

Cons

Customers get to treat you terrible! they can call you names, curse at you, be just flat out rude to you then they can complain about having to be rude to you and as the GM i give them free food for their troubles. Pilot flat out lies to ALL of their employees! They make promises they never keep. Make you do things that you do not want to do. ====

Advice to Management

Management isn't the problem. The problem is the each above store leader has a yo yo guess who gets the short end of it yep the GM'S. Everything is a game oh and stop making up job titles to fill your egos

"I would think twice"

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary and bonus at the GM level

Cons

WAY over promise and under deliver. Its a good old boys club and if you don't fit in you won't grow with the company. This is especially true if you are a GM and are not willing to relocate. Think about it... Do they put truck stops in all great locations? Be careful of what you obligate to. If you change your mind you will not make it. That's a promise!

Advice to Management

Stop hiring all your friends and family to run the company. Perhaps you should look at who the COO is related to or knows that currently works for and or is in a high level position. That's no secret...

Mar 13, 2017 – Community and Public Relations Coordinator

"Treat employees like they don't matter."

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Alexandria, MN
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Alexandria, MN

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good hours if they follow your availability.

Cons

1. I had to go to the hospital due to something falling on me at work while I was pregnant. I am still getting calls from the hospital because every time they contact pilot or send mail, it bounces back to them.
    2. My manager, despite me having a 5 pounds weight restriction from that incident, had me opening on truck days. There is no way to open without moving truck orders.
    3. The only time I ever tried to call in sick, I had food poisoning and should not have legally worked. The manager didn't answer her phone, didn't get back to me until after my shift was over.
    4. I have not received a W2. I left multiple messages with no response. I tried through the store I worked at and the manager told me it wasn't her problem.
    5. I was hired as part time, but worked more than 35 hours every week, sometimes going over 40.

Advice to Management

Make sure your store managers are doing their jobs. Make sure they are following laws and actually care about their employees.

"Transportation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for what you do

Cons

Logistics Dept is young and needs help, they need to look at a map