Pilot Flying J Reviews | Glassdoor

Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated October 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced, decent pay, flexible schedules (in 55 reviews)

• Excellent benefits and great people interested in your growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • False promises made by upper management (in 39 reviews)

• unfortunatley lead driver wasn't willing to provide schedule with work life balance after almost two years of quality employment that I provided (in 18 reviews)

1. "Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dalton, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sick time and vacation time is a plus. The people I work with are awesome they are my family.

Cons

Not enough time at home with my own family, I hate missing important moments with my children.

Advice to Management

stop the special treatment

Aug 10, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please contact us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com to discuss your concerns further. We appreciate all you do for Pilot Flying J.

2. "Employee Review"

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Von Ormy, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in Von Ormy, TX

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Co-Workers, Awesome guest service leads deli leads! FREE COFFEE!

Cons

If you miss work they cut your hours, if they get a complaint from a customer..they cut your hours, and they do not even discuss it with you, what you are doing wrong etc... lack of communication between managers and employees

Advice to Management

Concentrate better on making it more efficient by in-sourcing the current employees instead of out-sourcing new hires, Communicate with your team of employees more effectively, If you receive a complaint about an employee, please by all means discuss with that employee the complaint and do not keep it in the dark, we employees might do something wrong but if we do not know we are doing it then how can we fix the issue? Do not cut hours because you have a problem with an employee, talk with them to find out why they are having issues and solve them together for a more efficient team workflow.

Aug 24, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you've experienced any management issues within our company, we are here to listen. Please feel free to email us directly at... More

3. "Pilot Flying J"

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time

Pros

Great company culture and work/life balance

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive and career advancement can be difficult

Aug 7, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We are happy to hear you've had such a positive experience working at Pilot Flying J. We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback with us, and thanks for all you do!

4. "unfair management"

Current Employee - Cashier in Latta, SC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Latta, SC

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid more than the minimum wage even more than the rival gas station.

Cons

Unfair management. Do have favoritism.

Advice to Management

Store 4584 do not practice fair management. Certain people do work certain shift (specific shift) and certain area. When I did apply to this store I mentioned I got open availability day time but dont wanna work at night. When I had my interview I still told the 2 managers I dont wanna work at night and they agree to that. Butthen I dont understand why I always got night shift schedule. People who work hard get less hours than people who always work behindthe rregister. I understand those people who gets the favor its because they been in the company longer than the new people. But then when they said everyone should learn how to work in every station, then it should apply to everyone not only new employees. These people dont know how to work at deli. Dont know how to make coffees, dont know how to prepare the soup and never even clean the bathroom. And yet they get more hours and in favorable shift. So tell me how's it fair?

Aug 21, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We take claims like yours very seriously. Please email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com with specific details pertaining to your experience so we may address this issue.

5. "Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Danville, VA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Danville, VA

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people work there
    Regulars are usually sweet
    They'll look away when your regulars give you tips
    It's not particularly difficult work, someone is always willing to help if you need it

Cons

Get hit on/harassed by truck drivers
    Management changes schedule without notice
    Low pay for lots of work

I worked on the Arbys side for 6 months and in that time I had to train atleast 12 people who made $.75 more than I did. Both of the General Managers didn't see an issue with this.
    Almost every week my schedule was changed without notice and I received write ups that Id have to dispute.
    Theres a lot of favoritism, if they don't want you to have hours, you wont. I was always pulling doubles meanwhile there was a girl I knew on the same shift who only had on avg 10 a week.

Advice to Management

Pay the staff who have been their longer better than those who are just hired.
    Dont change a schedule without a 24 hours notice.
    Actually train your employees.
    Treat your employees like they're people, remember their names, talk to them everyday ; even the shifts you aren't on have thoughts and needs you don't know about because you don't ask.

6. "GSL 2"

Former Employee - GSL II in Nephi, UT
    Former Employee - GSL II in Nephi, UT

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% discount on Deli food while working

Cons

Taken advantage of, treated like garbage

7. "Pilot enough said"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Pilot Flying J (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, and thats it.

Cons

Need to take better care of their emoyees. If your full time you need to get full time hours all the time. Seniority would be nice, if you are a favorite you get more wknd off. Not rotated, went 6 months without a wknd off. Hiring of family members shouldnt be allowed, it causes problems when 2 are part of management.

Aug 21, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com with specific details pertaining to your experience so we may address this issue.

8. "Retail sales manager"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pilot Flying J is a friendly plave to work. They offer high quality customer service skills that allowed me to serve as an advocate for the company. This company has been a very great attribute in my growth as a customer service specialist which has made me the responsible and respectful individual that i am today.

Cons

The only downsides of working for this establishment may at times be some technical issues with the computers that are currently with in the facility. It slows the process of delivering great, fast, and efficeint customer service. Other than this issue I strongly believe that Pilot Flying J is a great place to work and further more a great place to grow.

Advice to Management

No matter how old we get, we are never to old to learn something new.

Aug 21, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We are happy to hear you had such a positive experience and we appreciate all you do for Pilot Flying J!

9. "Pilot Flying J"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple, GA

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above minimum wage pay for the position I held.

Cons

I had my phone stolen from the employee bathroom in the back, management protected the person who did it because she was their buddy and I wasn't.

Aug 10, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

"FSGM"

Former Employee - Fsgm in Hebron, OH
    Former Employee - Fsgm in Hebron, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time, sick hours, 401k, good benefits. I loved most of the people I worked with made some lasting friendships.

Cons

When someone calls out and your the manager guess what? Your staying! Thats not right sorry. They let the same people get away with not calling out and they still have jobs after the first time it should be automatic termination not the 10th or 11th time. There is no accountability for their actions. ITS JUST A TITLE! One more thing when I started I asked for sunday mornings off for church i was told no because i had to be available all shifts. When we had other managers with set schedules. Sorry how is this right.

Advice to Management

When the peers have called corporate a few times to help with a bad employee and they get advanced. OPEN YOUR EYES! Guess what they are still there with the same bad attitude thinking corporate wont touch her.

Aug 2, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for the honest feedback. If you've experienced any management issues within our company, we are here to listen. Please feel free to email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com with... More