Pilot Flying J Reviews | Glassdoor

Pilot Flying J Reviews

Updated October 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced, decent pay, flexible schedules (in 55 reviews)

• Excellent benefits and great people interested in your growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• False promises made by upper management (in 40 reviews)

"FSGM"

Former Employee - Fsgm in Hebron, OH
    Former Employee - Fsgm in Hebron, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time, sick hours, 401k, good benefits. I loved most of the people I worked with made some lasting friendships.

Cons

When someone calls out and your the manager guess what? Your staying! Thats not right sorry. They let the same people get away with not calling out and they still have jobs after the first time it should be automatic termination not the 10th or 11th time. There is no accountability for their actions. ITS JUST A TITLE! One more thing when I started I asked for sunday mornings off for church i was told no because i had to be available all shifts. When we had other managers with set schedules. Sorry how is this right.

Advice to Management

When the peers have called corporate a few times to help with a bad employee and they get advanced. OPEN YOUR EYES! Guess what they are still there with the same bad attitude thinking corporate wont touch her.

Aug 2, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for the honest feedback. If you've experienced any management issues within our company, we are here to listen. Please feel free to email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com with... More

2. "Good"

Former Employee - Cashier in Bryant, AR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bryant, AR

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that I met.

Cons

Truck Drivers and The SHOWER

Advice to Management

New RULES

Jul 17, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Please feel free to email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com with specific details pertaining to your experience so we can continue... More

3. "Cashier"

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time

Pros

Customers make my day a joy

Cons

No overtime, no breaks, no bonuses

Aug 31, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback. Please contact us at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com to discuss your comments further.

"Lack of communication and dscipline"

Former Employee - Cashier in Dalton, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dalton, GA

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Insurance, job security, experience in a fast paced environment, small employee discount for your meal break, advancement is possible

Cons

Each level of management has their own vision for the store so there's a lack of cohesiveness, always running on a super lean schedule, scheduled breaks are not so scheduled, cashiers should not be running the deli as it causes conflicts with health codes, employee discount is severely limited, no work/life balance because employees constantly call out and the schedule is constantly changing drastically, schedule will change with no notice

Advice to Management

Hire more employees, If someone calls out, there's a huge burden for the rest of the staff to cover for them. Hire someone dedicated to the deli, I've seen the health code violated several times, and consistently, because of having to hurry up and get back to the register. Make sure all employees are on board with the General Manager. Often, the managers under the GM do their own thing while the GM is not at the store and ignore the GM's wishes.

Jul 25, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Pilot Flying J. Please contact us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com to discuss your feedback further.

5. "Team Leader 2"

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time

Pros

Awesome coworkers, benefits available, vacation after 1 year

Cons

Understaff, don't appreciate the workers/managers, don't pay well

Jul 21, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please feel free to email us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com with specific details pertaining to your experience so we can... More

6. "Review"

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time

Pros

401k job advancement, good wages

Cons

Long hours and multiple doubles

Advice to Management

Don't over use your good employees cause one day they won't be there to help you.

Jul 7, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us! We appreciate all you do.

7. "Not a family friendly company."

Former Employee - GSL2
    Former Employee - GSL2

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with and my regulars made the job worth it.

Cons

I worked with pilot for 2 years this time around. I got maternity leave with 0 pay. I came back after having my daughter only THREE weeks earlier. Came back and was obviously not working full time yet, as I have an infant. They recently decided I was not deserving of the GSL title and told me I was demoted. I should barely be getting back from maternity leave. So now I'm a stay at home mom, because I won't work for them if it means my daughter or my job.

Pay is worthless. They hired cashiers on after me making the same OR MORE than I was making as a GSL.

Our store was falling apart. Barely any staff and people walking out all the time, coming back when they felt like with no consequences for leaving their shift. The same people get called over and over to cover shifts and feel obligated to do so.

I LOVED my job. But after having everything I worked for, and worked my butt off for (even while pregnant) ripped out from under me, I was heartbroken.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate better from the regionals to the GMs. And maybe focus on keeping your employees happy. I know I'm one person, but your company lost someone with drive, ambition and, the will to try to make the store better every day. You probably don't even notice I'm gone, sad. And I'm not the only good employee you've lost due to issues at my store.. if only corporate knew what goes on...

Aug 7, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for notifying us about your experience at Pilot Flying J. Please contact us directly at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com to discuss your feedback further.

"Guest Service Leader 2"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troutville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troutville, VA

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent starting rates, plenty of advancement room, vacation time available, fast paced and always moving forward

Cons

Can be a tough position. Can be inconsistent. Smaller stores' operations can be over looked. Not enough local regional managers.

Advice to Management

More regionals, district miles not so great. Any store can perform well when inspections are announced.

Jul 5, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback with us!

9. "customers should be number one"

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

loved the customers and some of the managers that liked to work and treated customers how they were supposed to be treated

Cons

bad managment and most of the time would hire shift leads that didnt want to work but like to boss people around. Had to do more than just your job cause others wouldn't work. they don't give you your over time they just try to send you home early. your raise was only a .25 one they suck

Advice to Management

get people in there that actually want to work for their money and not just play around and take selfies all day.

Jul 21, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We’re committed to strengthening our team dynamics on an ongoing basis. Please email us at PFJHR@pilottravelcenters.com if you'd like to discuss your concerns further.... More

10. "customer service"

Former Employee - Cashier in Sonora, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sonora, KY

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun a lot of room for advancement

Cons

none really i loved it

Jun 28, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we are happy to hear you had such a positive experience.