Pilot Flying J Team Leader Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam
Jimmy Haslam

Pros
  • Fast paced, decent pay, flexible schedules (in 49 reviews)

• Solid company with truly great people that aim to help you get the job done with a smile on your face (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management takes longer to act on their final decisions (in 34 reviews)

• unfortunatley lead driver wasn't willing to provide schedule with work life balance after almost two years of quality employment that I provided (in 14 reviews)

"hey hey hey"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Laredo, TX
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Laredo, TX

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time

Pros

good pay, great team, helping others, making peoples day. advancement opportunities
    i dont know what else to say, its a great company

Cons

open twenty four hours/ seven days a week even on holidays. it really does become your life and chances are you will not be able to do all the things you want to

Advice to Management

train your people well, they are the backbone to your company and the success of it. keep up the great work

"Not bad. Has ups and downs."

Former Employee - Team Leader/Maintenance Supervisor in Lake Park, GA
    Former Employee - Team Leader/Maintenance Supervisor in Lake Park, GA

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, fair room for for advancement. Not opposed to you working multiple positions, though not at the same time, of course. Just prove that you're capable of doing so. Will keep you as long as they can, and has no problem giving full time, if you earn it. Benefits are great, decent vacation after being full time for long enough (a year gets you a week, and another week after 2 years). Fast paced, good if you have ADD, like myself.

Cons

You have to make it your life, if you want to make it worth your while and theirs. Not much room for advancement past lower management, not easily at least. High focus on perfection, but without enough tools or resources to achieve such. Uncomfortable amount of red tape for what should be simple requests. If there's ever a corporate visit, which happen every 3 MO the or so, expect each and every manager to take a 2 hour lunch and a 3 hour walk through the premises.

Advice to Management

If someone says they prefer a position over another, please don't keep sticking them in the one they hate in order to "help you like it a bit better". "A" bad day, the first in a year and a half, is not a terribly good reason to delay a promotion for a year. Get a closed look at your employees. They're your ground troops, fighting the battles that you won't, or can't. They are the ones upon which your success hinges, so at least make an attempt at having a conversation with one.

3. "Guest Service Lead 3"

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Union Point, GA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Union Point, GA

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Pilot Travel Centers/Truck Stops have a huge customer base, with all the truckers and travelers, not to mention locals as well. The customers are what make the job worthwhile. Interacting with so many diversified people is a challenge and enjoyable.

Cons

The company does not look after their hardworking employees, but rather cater to the complainers and the ones who make the most negative noise. They reward the gossips and feed into such behavior. They promise you something upon hiring, but do not follow through. They are not an honest or fair employer.

Advice to Management

You get what you give. If you only acknowledge the troublemakers, you will only get troublesome employees.

5. "Good People"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Springville, UT
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Springville, UT

Pros

I worked with alot of great people

Cons

The hours..Also worked for Almost a year without the pay increase they promised.

6. "Guest Service Leader 2"

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Toledo, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with on the regular basis were great. Money was worth the job duties preformed.

Cons

Poor Upper Management, lack of helpful resources, punishing employees for good work preformed

Advice to Management

Get it together

"good company to work for but must be able to have patience and extreme customer service experience"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Springdale, AR

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promotions available, willing to work with and be flexible with your schedule, benefits are decent.

Cons

not a very clean business, lots of turnover and unreliability when it comes to co workers and management, lots of complaints from professional drivers

Advice to Management

consider changing entire store, how store is run etc

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Nashville, TN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Weekly pay,benefits and customer interaction.

Cons

They are prejudice towards women ,colored,and,no advancement opps. you can bust your, but, come in on your day off, have phenomenal customer service skills and still get overlooked.They will have you train some one and promote them to a higher position than your in but you train them??? give employess incentives for above and beyond good efforts!!

Advice to Management

Treat employees better!! Hire within,stop hiring gm who hire all their friends and cut current employees hours give employees incentives for above and beyond good efforts!! And I loved my job, but I felt used and unappreciated.

"Definition of Corporate Moneygrubbing"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's easy to understand this job if you realize that your only function is to make money for the corporate office.

General Manager at my store is great, most employees work hard. Those who don't don't last.

Cons

Wages, expectations, problem solving, accountability, big picture, morale.

Everything is based on sales, not reality. I work third shift as a Team Leader and as such my function is chief cook and bottle washer, scapegoat, and problem solver. The company condescends to allow two employees on third shift and expects us to clean showers and restrooms, sweep and mop the whole store, take out trash from store and fuel islands (you know what's in the diesel trash cans), keep food in production, handle customer problems that are not our responsibility, stock the entire coffee bar, make six kinds of tea (only three of which sell), oh and WAIT ON CUSTOMERS.

There is an Assistant General Manager in my region who is very stressful to work for and disrupts our work.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting time on minutiae such as cleaning Transflos 3 times a day, stacking condiments straight in the bins, deli opening and closing checklists and shower and restroom GI records. Allow us to work more efficiently.

Utilize the coffee hostess by allowing her to do more stocking and cleaning of the coffee/deli bar. This takes the pressure off third shift having to have everything stocked for her. It also takes the pressure off her by enabling her to have the coffee bar in spic and span condition for health department inspections and mystery shops. Don't put the onus of coffee sales solely on her. Don't base mystery shops on her selling but the condition of the coffee/deli area and the products in that area. She is under a microscope and you are putting too much pressure and responsibility on her.

Quit emphasizing that you expect clean restrooms. The overhead "courtesy check" announcements and signage enable customers to make mean comments accusing us of not doing our job just because we can't check that every customer has flushed the toilet and not used the last of the toilet paper and paper towels. When customers smear excrement on the bathroom walls and write expletives in it, (yes they do, more often than you would be willing to admit, and it usually consists of disparaging comments about the company) that is behavior that has been encouraged as mockery of the announcements and signs. Put restrooms on the diesel islands with trash cans for disposal of empty urine jugs after they have been flushed down the urinals. Since you expect us to handle biohazardous waste, provide us protection.

Allow enough hours of payroll to have more people on staff. One more maintenance person, one more deli employee, and one more cashier on first and second shift would still have work to do but we could do it better with less pressure. On the rare occasion there are three trained people on third shift, we work hard through the shift but we are able to get everything done without the pressure of knowing that we are letting the coffee hostess, maintenance, and deli employees down by not getting everything done. If you really cared what the customers think, they tell us all the time we are working too hard. They see that, but they understandably expect the restrooms to be cleaner, a greater variety of food, and the diesel pumps not to vapor lock three or more times a night. The good employees know what needs to be done and do our best to get it done. We could amaze you and the customers with what we can do with adequate staffing. We don't need the knowledge that we are going to get in trouble for not completing our jobs because it's physically impossible to do so. It's a constant headache and hot poker to the gut. It is inevitable that people call off or don't show from time to time. Having more people on the schedule and more hours available for more personnel on the payroll would enable us to pick up the slack and/or have more people to call in.

Quit covering your asses by making us lie and say we had all our breaks when we sign our time cards each week and threatening to fire us if we don't take them. You don't allow us enough people to do even the minimum of what you expect. We have to work through our breaks just to do the bare minimum that keeps the company running.

When minimum wage increases result in higher wages for minimum wage employees, give commensurate increases to all other hourly employees. Pay us for what you expect out of us.

10. "Better Than the Majority"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Lake Park, GA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Lake Park, GA

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid vacation for full-time employees no matter what job type.
    Medical, dental, vision, even life insurance benefits available within first year of employment, full or part-time.
    Mandatory breaks (two 10 minute paid breaks, one 30 minute non-paid lunch).
    Company perfectly willing to pay you if you're actually willing to work.
    True opportunity for advancement in the purest sense (start as Cashier, promoted to Team Lead, Shift Lead, Store Manager, General Manager, District Manager, etc.).
    Perfect chance to meet people from every state, every country, and every walk of life. Literally. Great job if you like people and know multiple languages.

Cons

Very high volume (Truckers always drive), very quick paced (Truckers have deadlines), combined with radio chatter in one ear and customer chatter in the other means for relatively high stress.
    Company's strive for perfection, while admirable, and usually achievable, can sometimes be downright bothersome, especially during peak hours and days and months (1 week before Thanksgiving Day to 3 days after New Years is MURDER).
    Customers can sometimes be outright mean at times.

11. "Great people at my location, not a big fan of corporatism though"

Current Employee - Cashier/Team Leader in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier/Team Leader in New Braunfels, TX

Pros

The team I work on is made up of a bunch of great people. Of course, there is always one or two people who can be annoying or jerks, but overall the work environment is great. The truth about the truckers is that 98% of them are great to interact with. It's that 2% that some people focus on and they forget about all the nice ones. I'm in school studying economics, so its nice having all the different varietys of people who have such different perspectives on the state of the nation to ask questions to. Working at a truck stop/convenience store, you get to talk a lot of politics/public policy/economics with people, so I love that apect of it as well. Most of the customers I get are really cool people, and the 2% that are pissed off or bitter about something, I just remind myself that it's nothing personal and move on.

Cons

To be fair I came to work here with a lot of experience, but the training was abysmal. I had to learn pretty much everything here on my own. A lot of trial and error is involved and it can get frustrating. I also wish the labor wasn't so tight. It's really annoying being called so often to come and work for someone when I've already planned my week ahead of time.

Advice to Management

A greater emphasis on training is needed. Obviously, the labor issue and the training issue are inter-related. I know Pilot is making insane amounts of profit right now. Invest some of that into training please.