Pima Medical Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pima Medical Institute President and CEO Fred Freedman
Fred Freedman

Pros
  • They not only provide quality medical training but, support students and employees in many ways (in 6 reviews)

• The staff and faculty are wonderful, it's like a giant family at Pima (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no cons to working at PMI (in 10 reviews)

• New Management: Don't talk down to the people who help you run PMI (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome Company"

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic place to work- high job satisfaction. ESOP program means we are employee owners. Recommend highly to anyone interested in higher education.

Cons

Any education job often requires more than 40 hours per week. Grading at home as an example. Also, sometimes have to deal with disciplining difficult students can be challenging.

Advice to Management

No advice- company is excellent and management does a great job at ensuring employee satisfaction! Keep up the great work PMI!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family oriented, great pay, beautiful building, great moral building, lots of compensatory gifts, ESOP, 401K, bonus at Christmas time .

Cons

My drive to work is about 1 hour away, perhaps they will open a PMI in Las Cruces, New Mexico sometime soon. .. keeping fingers crossed!

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work!!!

"The Best Company I have Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Program Diector in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Program Diector in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of this company is simply amazing. Everyone, and I mean everyone, makes you feel like part of the family since day 1. I just started working for PMI less than two months ago, and I really hope I can retire here (I am 40 years old). The benefits, the interest for the welfare of the employee, the constant and never-ending assistance to all students (before they start, during the program, and after graduation is something I never experienced before.

Cons

I have not experience anything negative in my short time at PMI. I have spoken to many employees who have been working 10, 15, 20 years in the company, and all of them LOVE Pima. I am extremely excited to be part of this great family.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

4. "Veterinary Technician Clinical Director"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician Clinical Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission, pay rate, schedule, career

Cons

Work life balance, pay rate

5. "Pto and maternity benefits are dismal."

Former Employee - Teacher in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Pima Medical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ESOP, hsa available with health insurance plans, tuition reimbursement, additional gift days during the holidays, typically are able to leave 1.5 hours early on holidays

Cons

Pto accrual is capped and the maternity leave is only 4 weeks. As a salaried employee I find it weird to accrue pto and even more unsettling is a company who claims to be family first does not offer pto rollover. Studies have shown in companies who use the flex time off system have happier employees, employees taking less vacation because they aren't forced to use it or loose it it's there when they need it, and flex time off also saves companies money because when an employee leave the company there is no vacation payout.

The maternity leave is only 4 weeks which is the bare minimum and contradicts the companies family values. Other companies give mom at min 8 and some even give the fathers 3 months!!

Advice to Management

Increase the maternity for new moms to at 12 weeks and remove the pto cap or switch to flex time off

Pima Medical Institute Response

May 7, 2017 – President

Pima Medical Institute’s maternity leave policy follows the guidelines of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), including the mandate to provide 12 weeks of leave annually for a parent of a ... More

"Excellent Culture and Support"

Current Employee - Faculty Coordinator in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Faculty Coordinator in Renton, WA

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pima is one of those companies that truly lives up to their mission and family-oriented roots. I read these reviews before being hired in the hopes that the reality was somewhat close, but now have the privilege of being a part of changing lives and am provided all of the tools to thrive in that mission. I'm very happy to work here and have enjoyed the culture shift from my last position in vocational education.

Cons

There are no real cons or limitations. Education has its challenges, but we are provided the resources and trust to solve problems.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve, grow, but keep these roots, they're solid footing for our success.

"Great family atmosphere- privately held company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love meeting new people in my job.
    Pima is good at what they do so it is easy to promote them to others. Leader in the industry of medical training.
    Don't need to make a lot of cold calling. Most appointments are set up in advance.
    They have an ESOP funding for your retirement plans.

Cons

Long hours are expected. Definitely more than 40 hours.
    There is office politics and unprofessional gossip to overcome.

Advice to Management

Try to curb the office gossip and negative attitudes.

"Great place to work at the time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Pima Medical Institute full-time

Pros

Good benefits and good people to work with at the time

Cons

New management caused everyone positive to leave

Advice to Management

Upper management should listen to faculty and students when they express their concerns about program directors.

"Blessed to have Pima as my employer"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They care, they listen, they are realist and they are passionate about students, therefore they are passionate about their employees. They respect themselves, so they can respect others. They are seasoned in their community and employers trust them. I am so proud to be a PMI employee.

Cons

Nothing truly to complain about.

Advice to Management

Thank you for allowing your employees to feel comfortable about coming to you with anything. This builds trust and value.

"Great Company With a Great Culture"

Current Employee - Faculty Coordinator in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Faculty Coordinator in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Pima Medical Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A culture of collegiality and mutual respect exists at this institution. Students and employees are equally valued but we always ensure that the decisions that are made are done so with the best interest of the students. PMI is owned by both the employees and the Luebkes. As an ESOP company, we work with the mindset that we are not just employees but employee owners. This culture helps to ensure that everyone goes above and beyond to meet and exceed our standards of maintaining student success. Our main and primary focus is to provide high-quality education, prepare students to sit for their national certification/licensure exams, prepare students to be high functioning clinicians, and assist them with career placement. Bottom line is, if the students succeed, we all succeed. Likewise, if the faculty and staff are happy and motivated, they will then do their part in delivering the promise of our mission.

Cons

At times there is an issue of follow through with projects.

Advice to Management

The Corporate Education department needs to be evaluated for efficacy. Many practices are outdated and nothing new or groundbreaking has come from this department. Also, more Corporate support of mid-level managers is essential for operations at the campus.