Pinch Food Design Reviews | Glassdoor

Pinch Food Design Reviews

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great Company, Fun Crew"

Former Employee - Waiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Waiter in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of fun to work with, treats staff really well (No PB+J staff meal policy). Great compensation, and 5 hr minimum per job. Delicious food, beautiful design.

Cons

The work can be pretty grueling on occasion, especially for larger events with time restrictions. Design elements require lots of care and training for correct set-up & handling.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees through training more carefully + often. Take care of the loyal ones who work hard and they'll stick around longer. Happy waiters, happy clients.

2. "The experience gave me nightmare and a lot of regret interning here,"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Pinch Food Design as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company seems nice from the outside looking in.people looks friendly..
     Well, too bad.. They actually not that friendly.

Cons

Like another review by other intern said.. The experience is so similar to me. I'm not surprise at all. I was so pumped and excited to be intern here. I was hired by stella and most of job description seems so fun.
    They hired me and the other girl. And she gets to do event proposal and help out at event. All they let me do was folding uniforms , move boxes ,grocery shopping, cleaning shelfs. Very unimportant jobs and probably doesn't need to be done but they just try to find something for me to do. While the other girl get to do so many things and goes eat lunch with her mentor(stella) they just left me there in the office -by myself.. Is this normal? I don't have place to sit and have nothing to do. And can leave early while the other girls need to stay late. And they never really ask me for help

I hold a lot of resentment to stella. Because she's the one that I interviewed with.
    After I started intern, I realized that she already got her intern that work directly with her. And I am just an office run around. She barely speak to me or ask me anything at all. It was high school all over again. I come to term that they actually only need one intern but accidentally hired 2?

I quit after a week by just Not show up because I just cannot take the dreadful experience anymore. I don't want to skip lunch because no one ask me to go to lunch or go grab sandwich or anything to eat with.

Advice to Management

Directly to stella, you seems like a nice lady and I really liked you but wow this experience opened my eyes. You are totally need to check your attitude toward interns and life. You are not a nice person like you want people to believe you to be one.

Karma will gets you one day.

3. "Pinch Food Design is the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Pinch Food Design as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

After graduating college on the west coast, I moved to New York City without knowing a single person. I knew I wanted to start a career in the event/catering/design industry, but without any contacts I wasn't sure where to begin. After doing extensive research on “The Best Places To Work In NYC” and “The Most Creative NYC Companies” I was introduced to Pinch Food Design. Articles in The New York Times, The Huffington Post, and The New York Post sang the praises of this innovative and unique food design company - and I knew I had to be a part of it. Soon after (and still to my amazement!), I interviewed and landed a position at Pinch. From the moment I walked in the door, I knew I had found something special. From Day One, I could tell that this was more than just a place people came to punch in their time sheets – it is a place people came to do what they loved. I had never been – and certainly never worked – in a place that is literally buzzing with energy and creativity and imagination. How many people can say that about their office?

Pinch is a family. They work hard and play hard together and they take care of their own. Often, this family-dynamic in the workplace can make it hard for a new employee to feel included, but this wasn’t the case at Pinch. Everyone was very welcoming when I joined the team. This is an extremely fast-paced industry and yet, everyone still took the time to learn my name, ask me how I was doing, and offer to show me the ropes. Little things like this go such a long way and really made me feel like I was more than just an employee.

I learned something new every single day at Pinch. My supervisor always made time to talk to me about my work, to answer my (endless!) questions, and to have open and honest conversations with me about my progress and areas for growth. She wasn’t afraid to throw big projects my way and frequently gave me assignments that came with considerable responsibility. I never thought my time was being wasted. I always felt that I had a purpose at Pinch, and despite being the newest employee, I still felt that I was contributing something important.

One of the most valuable things I learned at Pinch was the true definition of “going above and beyond”. It didn’t matter if there were 5 requests for catering proposals on her desk or 50, my supervisor and her team put incredible thought, care, time, and effort into tailoring every single proposal that came their way. Pinch refuses to settle for ‘good enough’ and will always go the extra mile to create something truly extraordinary. As someone new to the industry, this was such an important lesson for me to learn early on. Pinch reinforced the importance of really listening to your client, of a strong work ethic, and showed me the countless benefits of taking those five extra minutes to make sure the job was not only done right, but that the job was done well.

Whether you are a job-seeker or a potential client, I couldn’t possibly recommend Pinch Food Design more highly. They are a dedicated, hardworking, and incredibly innovative team, and I guarantee you won’t find anything like them anywhere else – no matter how hard you look.

Cons

If you’re looking for a low-key day job, be warned: This is an extremely fast-paced work environment, and Pinch isn’t afraid to throw a lot on your plate right away. They are the best at what they do, so naturally their standards are high. But come on. Is that really such a bad thing? ;)

Advice to Management

Continue to take chances by bringing on interns and freelancers! When I interviewed at Pinch, I had little experience to back me up but what I did have was a ton of passion. I wanted to be there more than anything, and I believe they saw this excitement in me and decided to give me a chance. Giving me that chance truly changed my life. I will always be thankful to Pinch for the experiences and opportunities I have had because of this job, and for giving me my start in New York City.

5. "Exciting Young Company with Great Potential for Growth"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Pinch Food Design as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The owners and staff are young and motivated. The small office consists of a diverse group of very interesting people. It's a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, with great passion for process and product. They have a really unique spin on what they're doing in catering.

Cons

Pinch is a young company, so there are a few kinks to work out. The office works well together in tackling issues as they come up, so it would be a great place for any natural problem-solver and good team players.

6. "Event Catering"

Pros

Pinch maintains an interesting and experiential approach to food and how we connect with it at events.

Cons

This company had a high turnover rate and was non-collaborative in terms of developing new and interesting ideas for food options/presentation

7. "be in or get out"

Pros

they culivate a creative and fun young atmosphere and make up for lowr pay w benefits like food or random days off or "fun" parties / outings w staf. u will b good if ur good at kissing but, not necc. have job skils.

Cons

be ready 2b subjectd 2 the owners' racism, sexism & general boundary crossing. they will say some of their best friends are minotires but they are biased. absolutelty no room 4 gtowth unless u start as an intern.

Advice to Management

why give advice to people who know it all alrady? they work for yuppies, r yuppies, money hungry, selfih

8. "Exciting internship, with the opportunity to learn and have growth in your career!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Pinch Food Design as an intern

Pros

Interning at Pinch Food Design ignited a light at the end of a tunnel, when I was deep into the process of searching for a career. I was welcomed with open arms, making me feel like I was immediately a part of the team. My supervisor has been such a joy and wonderful teacher. I was given the responsibilities of proposal writing, which was thoroughly taught to me. This led me to learn more about our high profile clientele, and the program Pinch uses for all of the events they are a part of. It has been amazing to see and experience all of the meticulous details that go into planning every aspect of events and parties that Pinch takes part in.

The staff is supportive in the growth of their interns, both internally at Pinch and externally with their own endeavors. My supervisor has been especially helpful with the growth of my career, and wanting the best for me. Pinch has a very hard-working team, who will go through great lengths to get their job done, and do it well. Clients are always pleased, and often come back to PInch for more fun parties with delicious food and drinks.

It has been a very positive experience for me, and I am thankful I have had the opportunity to learn more about event catering and planning. I am also grateful for meeting and working with so many talented staff members, who really care about their job and their clients.

Cons

There are not many cons that I can say about interning for Pinch. My only wish is that I was able to attend more of the actual events that Pinch caters, so that I can see and experience how on site work is executed. My passion is for events, and the run of show. I am sure that if I approached my supervisor about this, there would be more opportunities for me to attend events, where I could fully embrace Pinch Food Design and see firsthand how all of the behind the scenes work comes to life.