Pinckney Hugo Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Doug Pinckney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work!"

I worked at Pinckney Hugo Group full-time

Pros

The people and work culture. Tons of awesome people.

Cons

Training is unorganized but if you continue to ask questions, you’ll get the hang of it.

2. "They asked employees to post positive reviews to cover the negative ones"

I worked at Pinckney Hugo Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun co-workers. Holiday party is upscale.

Cons

All of the con's that have been posted in earlier reviews.

Feb 11, 2019

We’re sorry you had a negative experience with us. Glassdoor’s Community Guidelines do encourage companies to ask employees to write honest reviews, and it’s a recommendation that we’ve followed in... More

"Great company with unmatched vision and ability to achieve succes"

Pros

I felt very comfortable and was welcomed by every member of the company from the Executives down to other Interns. There is a family-like atmosphere at the Pinckney Hugo Group, which is evident through the work and overall success they provide their clients. They treated me as if I were a full-time employee, which I not only appreciated but also valued because I gained valuable experience, knowledge, and skills that was very beneficial in my job search and during the interviews process. Also, the work-environment at PHG is second to none in my personal opinion--they provide a space that encourages interaction, creativity, teamwork, and working hard to produce the best possible solution and result for their clients. They not only get results but have fun in the process.

Cons

Not one bad thing about PHG! Company is great, people are great, culture and environment are amazing, I Suggestion PHG to everyone and anyone who want to work with a group of intelligent, hard working, and entertaining people on a daily basis!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! From an Intern standpoint, there is no experience like the one I had at PHG! I was very lucky to have this opportunity with such an amazing company!

"Good people, good place, and getting better all the time."

I have been working at Pinckney Hugo Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started my career at Pinckney Hugo Group several years ago, and a number of things have kept me around. First off, the people, They’re smart, creative and just plain fun to work with every day. Most of them can even hold their liquor. They make the agency the place it is and we make each other better at what we do.

Secondly, the whole “good people” things starts at the top. The partners have always led by example in terms of work ethic. As a small agency they were always the first in and last out, never about sitting back and watching their employees toil while they reaped the benefits. And now that we’ve grown into a mid-size agency, nothing has changed, although client obligations have forced them to be on the road more frequently.

My longevity at Pinckney Hugo can also be attributed to a high level of job security. While other agencies might be content hire and let go people with the ebb and flow of business and accounts, the management takes pains to try to make sure they never have to.

A couple other things I should note in terms of Pros (and things that have kept me around): Nice perks like employee bar/lounge, Florida vacation house and lots of fun after-work events. Holiday bonuses. Fair benefits and pay that compensates you based on your contributions. Various committees to ensure professional development, community involvement and fun are top priorities.

Overall, personally I’ve been very thankful to work here. I’ve been able to play a role in shaping the agency, its culture and the work – an opportunity shared by many people at the agency. Not “favorites,” just those who work hard, contribute and care about making the agency special.

Cons

All those nice things said, it’s far from perfect. This is advertising. It’s a grind. There are tight deadlines and tough clients. Pinckney Hugo is not immune to any of it. In fact, the agency’s processes and communication have plenty of room for improvement. But the partners are aware of some flaws, encourage people to point out those they aren’t aware of and welcome suggestions for improvement. I get the sense that while they recognize they can’t make everyone happy all the time, they genuinely care and they’re willing to try.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to make the work environment and creative product better each day.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Pinckney Hugo Group full-time

Pros

Modern office space in a remodeled warehouse. Includes employee lounge with a bar. Management consistently asks what employees want and tries to accommodate those requests. Good camaraderie, lots of fun social events, including a concert/party of employee bands. Good exposure to clients big and small, local and national, in a variety of industries. Employees who take advantage of opportunities will get a lot out of their experience and will be rewarded for it.

Cons

Most of the negatives are complaints about ad agencies everywhere - demanding clients, deadline pressures, inconsistent workflow, not every project is exciting. Communication between management and employees was sometimes lacking but efforts were made to improve. Initial training is also sometimes lacking but management has taken strides to address employee concerns. Typical growing pains of an expanding company.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your instincts. Employees who complain about the work environment don't realize how good they have it. Keep your doors and ears open and place your trust in those who earn it.

"A great place to start your career in marketing and advertising!"

Former Employee - Media Buyer in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Media Buyer in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Pinckney Hugo Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at PHG for a little over 3 years as a Media Buyer. It was my first "real" job out of college and joined the team when they were really beginning to grow. The work culture, people, and environment is what makes PHG a really great place to work. I learned valuable skills about the industry and myself as a whole while I was there. I only left because I relocated to another state.

Cons

Like any agency, the demands and expectations of clients are high...even in Syracuse. Also, like many agencies - there's a bit of a sink or swim factor, you have to be driven to be successful at this company and likewise, in this industry. It can be stressful and overwhelming at times but there really is an environment of teamwork amongst most all employees. The people at PHG are really what makes going to work everyday enjoyable. Working at PHG is what you make of it. The owners and partners encourage team members to come to them with problems or issues and personally, I always felt comfortable voicing my concerns as needed. I do believe if you don't express your desires and goals you will likely plateau, which is not uncommon in any company. It was my experience that good work and good employees are rewarded accordingly. I have several good friends that are still there and have enjoyed great success and growth at PHG.

Advice to Management

Encourage an open dialogue with your team members. Ask them if they need help or additional training. As a new and/or young employee, it can be intimidating to ask for help. Communication is key!

"An unexpected -- but wonderful -- "second act""

Former Employee - Proofreader in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Proofreader in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Pinckney Hugo Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at PHG for more than three years after taking a buyout from another job in another field. The partners/founders recruited me -- in my late fifties! -- for a full-time job after they liked some freelance work I had done for them. The place has a very strong work ethic -- I never saw any slackers -- and I think the reason for this is that the three partners set the tone. They're in the office around 6:30 a.m. and leave when their work is done. They're always hustling -- and I mean that in a good way -- for new business, and when they're not, they're working with their account managers and others. I suspect they do a lot of mentoring. I found them to be professional and polite -- I never heard or saw any yelling or tantrums. Yes, the partners can be demanding -- not just of you, but of themselves. And though they might work you hard, I felt my salary was fair, and they go out of their way to reward the staff, with a gala holiday party and a catered, late-summer in-house music fest, along with free bagels on Friday and an in-house bar. The employees also seem to not only get along but to genuinely like one another. I recently retired again, but might still do occasional jobs for PHG. All in all, I've had a great "second act."

Cons

Management might want to consider adding a personal day or two (there are currently two) to accommodate their few older employees who might have to regularly see a variety of doctors during a year. BUT I should say that earlier this year, they allowed me some time off on very short notice to deal with a family emergency that didn't fall under one of the usual categories. And they were not only understanding but also solicitous. One of the partners' emails to me said: "Take care of your family." Also -- and this is not management's fault -- the work neighborhood isn't friendly during the winter if you don't have a car. Many businesses in the neighborhood don't shovel properly, if they shovel at all, so if you have to walk to a bus stop they're a good chance you'll have to walk in the road on a fairly busy city street. I should add, though, that Pinckney Hugo keeps its property clear -- one day I came to work and found the president of the company shoveling the snow himself. Couldn't ask for more than that.

"Great Experience, Awesome Environment"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Syracuse, NY

Pros

PHG focuses on delivering the best possible service to clients - a true mark of a great agency. They emulate the idea of teamwork in every aspect of what they do. No one is ever left to deal with something on their own; there is a team of people to help. The partners are involved in every step of a project and really care about producing high quality work. They meet with the whole agency each week to discuss client updates, share recent creative work from the team, share recognition from coworkers, discuss agency events, celebrate birthdays and anniversaries, etc.

Professional development is happening every week at PHG. There are agency sponsored Lunch & Learns, research tools available, conferences to attend and constant learning from experienced employees.

The culture and social events go above and beyond all expectations for a fun place to work. Aside from free bagels & beer each week, there are social events sponsored by the agency including bowling, happy hours, kickball leagues, softball leagues, annual trips to the NY State Fair, and more. The whole team is also very involved with community service. The volunteer committee organizes events such as Habitat for Humanity days, walks/races, local volunteering and donations/drives for community organizations.

Cons

For life at a busy agency, there are always going to be tight deadlines, tough clients & long days.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing! Both the clients and employee size have room to grow for this agency.

"Good beginner job"

I worked at Pinckney Hugo Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun young staff, out of work activities are awesome, great benefits and 401k to start with, fast paced environment. The partners make an effort to higher like minded individuals with high energy and good workmanship.

Cons

High-turn over rate, not a lot of room for advancement. Most employees in all of the departments are young recent graduates with little to no experience which has it's pros and its cons. All production based projects, not a lot of room for any creativity especially in their creative department - which can be a testament to the projects one would be exposed to there. Very grind heavy, long hours if needed, nothing in your personal life will be considered over a clients requests.

Aug 21, 2015

We’re glad you were able to appreciate our efforts when it comes to the work environment and benefits. We’re proud to have such a talented team.

It’s unfortunate that your experience was so... More

"Dishonest leadership, Old boys club, Minimal opportunities for mid-level career growth"

I worked at Pinckney Hugo Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young, eager employees, cool office with a bar in the back.

Cons

Minimal opportunities for growth unless you are a member of the partners' boys club; favoritism at its finest. Hard work and client loyalty doesn't get you very far. PR leadership is poorly supervised and mismanaged, creativity squandored. Partners act like children - throw phones, kick tables and yell at employees. Lower level employees are often thrown under the bus to client. No strategic initiatives, all work is project based.

Advice to Management

Aim for strategic opportunities rather than project based to earn long-term client loyalty; invest in your staff with professional development opportunities. Utilize HR to manage poor management behavior.

Aug 31, 2015

We are sorry to read how you felt about your experience.

Our team is made up of amazing, hard-working people who would never tolerate the kind of atmosphere described here.

While we have... More