Pine Cove Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Reed Livesay

1. "Phenomenal camp counselor experience"

Former Employee - Female Camp Counselor in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Female Camp Counselor in Tyler, TX

I worked at Pine Cove part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provided a lot of structure and guidance to help you be the best camp counselor you can be. All of their training and materials were really well thought out and biblical, and made it feel like we could handle any situation that arose. Great leadership, solid principles. I had a wonderful summer there with loads of fun and would've loved to have gone back for round 2. It's true that you are "on" 24/6, so it is exhausting and you'll be isolated from happenings in the outside world, but I never saw that as a con, just as a maximization of what you can do with your life when you're not distracted.

Cons

The nature of the camp is such that the campers are not significantly diverse - the cost of one week is high. They do have scholarships available, so there's some opportunity for kids who couldn't otherwise afford it, but as a counselor the homogeneity was sometimes striking. I also had some frustration that my salary for 5 weeks was less than what 1 camper paid for 1 week.

Advice to Management

Continue seeking out high quality college students and ways to make sure you're brining in campers from all walks of life. Make sure counselor compensation is fair.

2. "Felt like I was working for the affirmation of man"

I worked at Pine Cove part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Growth spiritually
    -Loving on sweet kids and watching them grow spiritually
    -Learned how to apply leadership skills
    -Truly learned how to die to self and how to love others with the love Christ has for us
    -Witnessing families come together and united under Christ

Cons

I grew up as a camper- from the Towers through the Shores. I have dreamt my whole life of becoming a counselor, and when I applied I prayed diligently for The Lord to put me where He needed me. Working on staff has changed my perspective of camp. It was not what I had expected.

-I didn't fit in from the beginning because I did not conform and was not "surface level"
    -There is a certain image that you have to conform to if you want to be apart of the group
    -Cliques are established during orientation. If you do not conform or you don't fit in, then you are excluded the whole summer
    -Every day I felt like I was putting on a show for the families. Being real and genuine is frowned upon
    -They would always say to not work for the affirmation of man, but I felt like I was being watched every second
    -If you make a mistake, it is noted. When you make a certain amount of mistakes, no matter the extent of that mistake, you get into trouble. They will not take into consideration your perspective.
    -Once you have been disciplined, the leadership doesn't treat you the same
    -Looking back now, it is very sad and defeating to know that I did not amount to the unreasonable standards of Pine Cove.

Advice to Management

Please recognize that we are imperfect human beings, and that you can't expect perfection where you cannot give it, despite maximum efforts. When sharing the camper's and families reviews, or "shout outs", make sure to include EVERYONE, not just your favorite staff members. It is very defeating when you know you got shout outs and that you worked so hard that week, but you weren't recognized. Also, you say not to work for the affirmation of man, which is true. Our salvation is not defined by our works, but it is also true that we are to build each other up with love and encouragement. It would also be beneficial if more genuine connections were made with the staff. It was hard to hear criticism from leadership when you guys didn't take time to get to know each of the summer employees. Another thing- give your staff the benefit of the doubt. The things I was penalized for should have been recognized as simple mistakes that can be handled through loving corrections, not in a way that made me feel insignificant. They should be kept confidential too. Somehow my situation was leaked out, and fellow counselors looked at me differently because of it. It broke my heart when I overheard two senior counselors talking bad about me to each other in front of families. I did not come forward with this situation because I felt that leadership would not have considered my perspective.
    Overall, I know who I am in Christ. I am still healing from last summer, and The Lord continues to remind me of who I am as a child of God. I know I am imperfect, but I am loved and pursued by the Creator. I wish that the leadership would have seen my strengths rather than pick apart my weaknesses.

3. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Counselor in Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Counselor in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Pine Cove (Less than a year)

Pros

Making great friends through the work you do together
    Great place to network
    It is a fun place to work.

Cons

Pay is not too great.
    Inability to communicate with family or friends while working.
    Very hard work.

"Best Thing I Never Want To Do Again"

Former Employee - Counselor in Tyler, TX

I worked at Pine Cove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun summer job, it definitely beats working retail or as a hostess. They do a great job of getting you to a doctor if you are sick or injured. You have the opportunity to make lifetime friendships, my bridesmaids are girls I worked at camp with.

Cons

They work you to death. I got sick every summer. They push you and your body to the breaking point. It is a very cliquey work environment. If you are not in the "cool crowd" from day one of training, you can forget about ever being on leadership. Favorites are very apparent and they do not allow you to be candid. It is all about the outward appearance with Pine Cove. It is only for really rich kids who have parents that can afford to drop $1000 for a week of summer camp. The kids are spoiled and expect to have everything done for them. Forget about rest. No room for moving up.

Advice to Management

Stop denying that you have favorites. Acknowledge the people who are hard workers and don't take them for granted. Remember, your employees are adults, treat them like they are.

"Counselor"

Former Employee - Counselor in Tyler, TX

Pros

You will meet a lot of very caring people who will want to invest in you. Management is very caring for how you are doing- always willing to meet with you to discuss work or life overall.

Cons

Getting paid roughly 180$ a week for working Sunday from 2:00 until Saturday 2:00 nonstop while Being with your kids nonstop and having jobs on the side (such as being in charge of the pool for 4 hours a day everyday) can get tiring and very repetitive. It'll be just a matter of time until you get burnt out and question if it's really worth it for making way below 5$ per hour there. Your fellow staff is fun but your peers who have higher positions (senior counselor etc-) are very clique-y. Sometimes not even acknowledging anyone below them( regular counselors)
    If you try to quit management will make you talk to all of the directions in charge of your specific camp to try to talk you out of it- they make it very difficult for you to quit. The food is not very good(middle school Sysco food(remember the square pizza slices at school?))

Overall- working here made me lose respect for pinecove as a whole- working here made me realize how much this organization is very much into- Corporate Jesus.

Advice to Management

Be clearer to potential staff what a workday-week consists of before making them sign a contract.
    Also- give them a copy of the contract(this isn't usually done with pinecove)

6. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Pine Cove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody who works at Pine Cove has an energy and attitude that never dies. It is a truly motivating and spiritually challenging, yet fulfilling, environment to be in.

Cons

There were quite a few counselors who decided to quit during my summer at the Timbers, leaving us fairly short staffed. This caused for a heavier workload and fewer "work crew" weeks. Pine COve typically expects far more out of their employees than other Christian Summer Camps (Ozark, Kanakuk....) but they surround you with people and resources to help you handle it.

Advice to Management

Allow more honestly and openness when the staff is discussing matters internally. There is a constant pressure of perfection that can wear down on the people who internalize what they are feeling.

7. "Amazing Development Experience."

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Tyler, TX

I worked at Pine Cove part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are challenged far beyond what you do with campers in a holistic way. By setting standards exceptionally high, staff members are regularly sharpened on a day to day basis and become better every day. Every member on staff is encouraging and seeks to create the best community you can possibly have while maintaining a Christian focus. Furthermore, they advance you as a college student from counselor to senior counselor to program director and potentially site coordinator or director depending on your level of performance.

Cons

Sometimes, you're pushed a little too hard. Is that really a con, though? It's sharpening and you always come out a better person at the end of a camp session with them than when you did going into it.

Advice to Management

Continue the way you always do making sure you're focusing on the person rather than idolizing the development of that person. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in that.

8. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Columbus, TX
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Columbus, TX

I worked at Pine Cove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pine Cove was a wonderful way to share Christ with families and definitely stressed a solid work-ethic and spiritual growth. The other staffers were fun and always willing to help you out.

Cons

Sometimes, it can be a bit physically, mentally, and emotionally draining, but that's part of the experience.

9. "Wonderful summer experience"

I worked at Pine Cove part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personal growth
    Awesome relationships with coworkers
    Fun, welcoming work environment
    Great room & board provided
    Staff and leadership are wonderful people

Cons

You aren't making a lot of money - but it's a summer job. This isn't the place to work if you are expecting to make a lot.
    Very little time off (one day a week).

10. "You will work HARD, but you will love it"

Former Employee - Counselor in Columbus, TX
    Former Employee - Counselor in Columbus, TX

Pros

You will grow a ton in such a short amount of time. Helping camper in their walk with God is priceless. The leadership is very attentive and accessible. Their program is very strict which allows you to be properly prepared for all situations. SO MUCH FUN!!! I would recommend.

Cons

The pay is not good. You will not even make $200 a week for being on the clock 24/hr a day 6 days a week. Compared to many camps Pine Cove is on the lower end of the pay scale. They also offer less time off than most camps. Most people do not do it for the money however. Staff can be cliquey at times.

Advice to Management

Increase pay. Your staff works HARD!