Pine Cove Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Reed Livesay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You don't make a lot of money but it is still worth working there (in 3 reviews)

• Weeks can become very long and hard, have to rely on Jesus to have the strength to finish an entire summer (in 2 reviews)

1. "Encouraging Work Environment"

Former Employee - Counselor in Tyler, TX

I worked at Pine Cove part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership makes decisions with intention and for the good of others.

Cons

None, I have had a truly positive experience.

"horse ministry"

Former Employee - Wrangler
    Former Employee - Wrangler

I worked at Pine Cove full-time

Pros

The campers and my co-workers were great. I loved coming back to the "Wagon Wheel" once we had finished up at the barn and joining the rest of the crew for whatever that night's theme night was. I loved helping build up the counselor who were obviously weary from pouring into campers but still going strong, and I loved getting to sit with a different group of campers every week for meals and getting to know them all individually. I loved breakthrough moments for the kids when teaching them about horses in different activity classes, especially when a kid who was scared to ride found the courage to give the horse a chance and ended up loving it.

Cons

I am glad that I had the experience of working at Pine Cove Silverado because it was a very eye-opening experience for me. I showed up expecting to spend my entire summer loving on campers and showing them Jesus through horses. Having grown up riding horses and currently compete on my university's equestrian team, I am knowledgeable on how to properly care for these wonderful animals. I was appalled by the way these horses were treated. They are tied up to a metal bar on either side of the "barn" and tacked up in western gear at 5 in the morning. They stay tied to this barn all day, and depending on the activities at the adjoining camp, could stay tied up until 8-10 at night. There are four activity classes every weekday for the campers, meaning that these horses are ridden four times a day by one camp. These horses are then sent to the adjoining camp to aid in their activity classes. It is not only unhealthy for the horses to remain tacked up for hours every day, but the amount of activity they do every day is too strenuous. About a month in, I began seeing the toll of this work load on the horses. Since I was one of the only wranglers hired with previous horse experience, I was given the task of administering bute every day to the horses who needed it. For those who do not know, bute is a painkiller (think horse ibuprofen). Two of our horses needed bute every morning or they would not be able to function. Their hooves were terrible and putting too much weight on the frog (the frog is the middle of the hoof; shaped like a triangle; and it is very sensitive; the rest of the hoof is made up of the same material as our fingernails; like our fingernails, hooves grow, and need to be properly maintained so that they do not chip, break off, and basically grow weird so that it is able to keep the horse's weight off of its frog). Due to this, if not given bute, the horses could hardly move. With bute, they moved painfully. Bute is not a permanent fix, it is a temporary pain relief. Yet, instead of calling for veterinary assistance, bute was used as a permanent fix. All of the horses had sores from the saddles staying on them for so long and rubbing them raw. Instead of allowing the horses to heal, Alu-Spray was used to spray over the sores so that we could tack up the horse. The use of Alu-Spray is to use on cuts that are in a spot on the horse that makes it difficult to heal because they keep re-opening. Alu-Spray is not something to cover up a massive hot spot on a horse so it can be forced to work more.

I voiced my opinion and offered suggestions, but was labeled as prideful. My boss gossiped about me to the senior wranglers and a few of the other wranglers about how I believed I could do the job better than he could. I felt ashamed of having voiced my opinion, and sucked it up and did what was asked of me, telling myself that I was doing it for Jesus. But this is not how Jesus would treat his horses.

The health care is not adequate. I was told that I had allergies for over a month. I had strep throat that was allowed to get worse for weeks, escalated to the point where my lymph nodes were so swollen I could not move my neck. I was exhausted, but was cast out as "too lazy" because I could hardly stay awake. It wasn't until my strep throat became scarlet fever that I was finally diagnosed and allowed to see a doctor.

Advice to Management

I love what you stand for, but please remember that you cannot put the entertainment of the campers in front of the health and well-being of the horses. The facility that the camp has is not adequate from the amount of horses that you own. I have worked a therapeutic riding barn that sees as many campers a week that Pine Cove does, but they have a better facility and only 15 horses instead of 30. It is able to be done, but the health of the horses has to be put first.

Horses teach us the best lessons, and it breaks my heart that Pine Cove's horses are not given the chance to do so. Consider altering some of the activity classes so that campers are given a chance to care for the horse as well. Many of the campers that I had during the summer wanted a chance to spend one-on-one time with their horse, but we had so much to do we had to hurriedly scoot them out of the barn.

Please consider building an actual barn with stalls for the horses so that they do not need to be tied to a post. This will greatly help the horses mentally, and eliminate the issue of horses "setting back." The horses set back so often when they are tied to the post for many reasons, the main two being: they have increased visibility and more likely to see something that will spook them; when they spook, they feel the post restricting them and their instinct is to pull back away from the pressure; and they are tied to the post for so long that they are going to start going stir crazy. By keeping the horses in stalls, it would be easier to untack them and tack them up again throughout the day, allowing them to have breaks and time to cool down. This would eliminate the many sores the horses received from wearing the tack to long, and decrease the likelihood of colic by allowing the horses to cool down. They would also be able to stay hydrated better. Stalls would not only be better for the overall health and well-being of the horses, but also would provide a safer environment for the campers.

If you are wanting to have a functional horse ministry, the health of the horses has to be made a priority. I hope that you will take these suggestions into consideration, and become motivated to see how you can create a better and safer horse ministry for your camp. I am continually praying for you.

3. "Challenging and so rewarding"

Former Employee - Counselor in Tyler, TX

Pros

Strong company culture, tons of growth

Cons

any cons are worth it

4. "Counselor"

I worked at Pine Cove part-time

Pros

Feel like you are making a true impact

Cons

None that I can think of

5. "Camp Counselor"

I worked at Pine Cove full-time

Pros

Pine Cove is an amazing place that has an incredible work environment with uplifting individuals.

Cons

You work long and hard hours.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and everything will keep going smoothly.

"Felt like I was working for the affirmation of man"

Former Employee - Counselor in Tyler, TX

I worked at Pine Cove part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Growth spiritually
    -Loving on sweet kids and watching them grow spiritually
    -Learned how to apply leadership skills
    -Truly learned how to die to self and how to love others with the love Christ has for us
    -Witnessing families come together and united under Christ

Cons

I grew up as a camper- from the Towers through the Shores. I have dreamt my whole life of becoming a counselor, and when I applied I prayed diligently for The Lord to put me where He needed me. Working on staff has changed my perspective of camp. It was not what I had expected.

-I didn't fit in from the beginning because I did not conform and was not "surface level"
    -There is a certain image that you have to conform to if you want to be apart of the group
    -Cliques are established during orientation. If you do not conform or you don't fit in, then you are excluded the whole summer
    -Every day I felt like I was putting on a show for the families. Being real and genuine is frowned upon
    -They would always say to not work for the affirmation of man, but I felt like I was being watched every second
    -If you make a mistake, it is noted. When you make a certain amount of mistakes, no matter the extent of that mistake, you get into trouble. They will not take into consideration your perspective.
    -Once you have been disciplined, the leadership doesn't treat you the same
    -Looking back now, it is very sad and defeating to know that I did not amount to the unreasonable standards of Pine Cove.

Advice to Management

Please recognize that we are imperfect human beings, and that you can't expect perfection where you cannot give it, despite maximum efforts. When sharing the camper's and families reviews, or "shout outs", make sure to include EVERYONE, not just your favorite staff members. It is very defeating when you know you got shout outs and that you worked so hard that week, but you weren't recognized. Also, you say not to work for the affirmation of man, which is true. Our salvation is not defined by our works, but it is also true that we are to build each other up with love and encouragement. It would also be beneficial if more genuine connections were made with the staff. It was hard to hear criticism from leadership when you guys didn't take time to get to know each of the summer employees. Another thing- give your staff the benefit of the doubt. The things I was penalized for should have been recognized as simple mistakes that can be handled through loving corrections, not in a way that made me feel insignificant. They should be kept confidential too. Somehow my situation was leaked out, and fellow counselors looked at me differently because of it. It broke my heart when I overheard two senior counselors talking bad about me to each other in front of families. I did not come forward with this situation because I felt that leadership would not have considered my perspective.
    Overall, I know who I am in Christ. I am still healing from last summer, and The Lord continues to remind me of who I am as a child of God. I know I am imperfect, but I am loved and pursued by the Creator. I wish that the leadership would have seen my strengths rather than pick apart my weaknesses.

7. "Alright"

Current Employee - Counselor
    Current Employee - Counselor

Pros

Culture of each camp is different and significantly depends on your directors

Cons

the energy you're required to muster for campers feels inauthentic. Not everything has to be the funnest thing you've ever done.

Advice to Management

Care for your counselors. Keep tabs on senior counselors.

8. "Amazing Organization!!!"

I worked at Pine Cove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership of the organization is bar none the best I have ever had - their values and commitment to serve their employees is unbelievable. I will always try to implement what I learned from them with anyone I work with. I can't say enough how great Pine Cove is.

Cons

There is nothing negative to say about this organization, I recommend anyone to be a part of Pine Cove's team!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing because ya'll are amazing!

9. "Pine Cove Counselor"

Former Employee - Youth Counselor
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor

I worked at Pine Cove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

providing mentorship to young adults

Cons

No cons - most rewarding time of my life to be able to serve others and give back to the society

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. "Phenomenal camp counselor experience"

Former Employee - Female Camp Counselor in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Female Camp Counselor in Tyler, TX

I worked at Pine Cove part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provided a lot of structure and guidance to help you be the best camp counselor you can be. All of their training and materials were really well thought out and biblical, and made it feel like we could handle any situation that arose. Great leadership, solid principles. I had a wonderful summer there with loads of fun and would've loved to have gone back for round 2. It's true that you are "on" 24/6, so it is exhausting and you'll be isolated from happenings in the outside world, but I never saw that as a con, just as a maximization of what you can do with your life when you're not distracted.

Cons

The nature of the camp is such that the campers are not significantly diverse - the cost of one week is high. They do have scholarships available, so there's some opportunity for kids who couldn't otherwise afford it, but as a counselor the homogeneity was sometimes striking. I also had some frustration that my salary for 5 weeks was less than what 1 camper paid for 1 week.

Advice to Management

Continue seeking out high quality college students and ways to make sure you're brining in campers from all walks of life. Make sure counselor compensation is fair.