Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Eastburg, PhD

1. "Patient Care Provider"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of available hours, good experience working with vulnerable populations, supportive work culture, can have a flexible work schedule if needed.

Cons

High burnout rate due to challenging population, high staff turnover at some units, lower pay compared to same position elsewhere for front line staff.

2. "Pine Rest"

Current Employee - Direct Care Provider in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supervisors worked with my School Schedule

Cons

Changed their scheduling so it doesn't work well with college students
    Took away PTO halfway through the fiscal year

3. "DO NOT WORK IN CPRS"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good PTO and benefits, compensation is well structured, fulfilling to help people and work with patients.

Cons

You WILL get your hair pulled, hit, punched, kicked, slapped, spit on, etc. Management doesn't do anything to prevent it. Protocol is almost NEVER followed as it needs to be. I was TERRIBLY assaulted by a resident resulting in a concussion, chest contusion, and back injuries. Not only did management NOT call the police or an ambulance, I was told to sit outside (with a concussion), and wait for my boyfriend to come and bring me to med-1. Beyond that, HR is completely useless. You have to fight tooth and nail for any kind of help. Asked about workers compensation for 3 weeks before they finally gave it to me. I was bullied into resigning from my position. STEER CLEAR OF THIS POSITION.

Advice to Management

You need to follow state regulations, period. Treat your staff with dignity and respect, especially when a complaint is directly at your management's fault. Stop trying to con people out of disability, and take assualt MUCH more seriously. Your licenser has been contacted.

"Know which Unit is right for you."

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, great co-workers. The different units have different nuances. If you're young and full of compassion and would appreciate a role that allows you to be hands on with patients in need, I recommend Child and Adolescent Unit. If youre looking for a strictly by the books in-and-out position, I recommend East. If you like a challenge and are thick skinned, I recommend West. If you want even more of a challenge, Older Adult.

Cons

Mental health isn't well funded and thats reflected in salary regardless of unit. Some of the units are over-worked; take Older Adult for example - not enough staff on the floor to cover everything and all patient needs. People are worn out and as a result are task-oriented / do just enough to get by, which lowers morale.

Advice to Management

Increase interaction between management and staff on a regular basis. Interaction should be better balanced 80/20 positive to constructive. Meeting with staff solely to review performance or to enforce policy leads to negative view.

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - RN in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - RN in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great team environment. Most Pine Rest RNs are compassionate and actually care about the work they do. The RN group is younger which is nice because most other places I've worked for have had an aging RN population. Really nice campus and easy location for commuting. Lots of opportunity to do different things if you get burned out with hospital they have many other areas to consider. Great benefits, especially if you're single. Benefits still good if you have a family (I am told). PTO is really good and is given to everyone at beginning of the year. They are growing and building a new inpatient unit, hospital will be well over 200 beds when new unit opens. They just told RNs our pay scale is changing and it's for the better. Wages seem close to what I made elsewhere, but may be better now? Patient load is manageable I usually have about 5-7 myself. Pine Rest seems to care about employees and patients a lot. They are really kind. I think this is a great place to be.

Cons

Psych nursing is not easy as I have found out. It's been a great learning experience though not easy. The pay wasn't great when I started but it's changing which is great. Gets a bad rep for being a Psych hospital, but I haven't found it to be true.

Advice to Management

Keep showing a willingness to change for the better. Overall doing a great job building teamwork environment.

"Mixed Bag -- unfair wage, high turnover, good benefits, good life experience. Some units better than others"

I have been working at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services full-time

Pros

You'll develop experience to deal with conflict applicable to any other venue in life. You'll develop a sense of whether the mental health field suits your disposition. "Full-time" entails only four days of work per week, and we receive a generous (yet necessary) amount of annual PTO, 156 hours.

Cons

No one expects patient care providers to make a sustainable living. Most people leave in 6-8 months, as reported by management. I like my unit, but I see other units as negligent and unprofessional - choose where you work wisely.

Prepare for a life of humility, both at work - dealing with aggressive, agitated patients - and at home - considering you make less than a living wage ($10/hr, $16,800/yr). Oh, and take a look at the company's 990 - their public tax information. Net revenue in 2014 is $100 million, and the highest paid employee gets $510k.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a fair wage! It will come back to benefit the company as a whole, as employees will stick around - saving huge amounts of money on training new staff, dealing with staff shortages, maintaining morale, and retaining staff with experience and skill in patient care.

Redistribute or cut pay from the top earners. Why does the CEO of a non-profit need to make $320k each year? Why do physicians need to make $300k-$500k? Your lowest-paid workers don't even make a living wage, which I consider to be $12/hr, though they work insanely hard by dealing with patients requiring a vast amount of emotional support. Our patients typically have issues with either violent behavior and/or histories of trauma. This work drains us emotionally, and we deserve better compensation.

"PCP"

Current Employee - Per Diem Psychiatric Technician in Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - Per Diem Psychiatric Technician in Wyoming, MI

I have been working at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule some units are ok

Cons

Favoritism hard to advance unless you know somebody

"Great atmosphere, supportive leadership"

Current Employee - Patient Care Provider in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Patient Care Provider in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers and co-workers truly care about you and will do anything to help you personally and professionally; 23 days Paid Time Off as soon as you start; extremely flexible scheduling staff to help you however you need schedule-wise; working with patients is rewarding; incentive shifts are frequently available for extra pay if you want to pick them up

Cons

low pay; healthcare benefits mediocre; not much room for advancement; mandate shifts are awful; if you work second shift it totally takes over your personal life; certain patients can make you depressed if you're susceptible to others' emotions. Just make sure to separate yourself from the patients emotionally and you'll be okay.

Advice to Management

Tuition reimbursement and higher pay

"Decent for one year's worth experience"

Current Employee - Patient Care Provider in Cutlerville, MI

Pros

Great direct care experience with patients

Cons

Not compensated well, management is hard to talk to/unavailable

Advice to Management

Increase retention by paying better

"Direct Care Provider"

Current Employee - Direct Care Provider in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission, other passionate care-providers, PTO, and benefits.

Cons

Low wages, somewhat disorganized management.

Advice to Management

Take direct care staff suggesstions into consideration.