Pine State Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Keith Canning, Gena Canning, & Nick Alberding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Merchandiser"

I worked at Pine State Trading full-time

Pros

Incredibly independent job with personable people and flexible hours. Would recommend for any student.

Cons

There are times in this job where you must make quick decisions without the help of management and then hope it is correct.

2. "Driver helper"

Former Employee - Driver Helper in Gardiner, ME
    Former Employee - Driver Helper in Gardiner, ME

I worked at Pine State Trading part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun working with the drivers. Delivering beer and meeting new people. Got to see a lot of the state.

Cons

Pay was low and the hours are not reliable. Management likes to overload vehicles and do not value employees.

Advice to Management

Put a little more effort into your employees. The turn over is ridiculous. It might save you money to train employees and keep them.

3. "Vending cashier/administrative assistant/service dispatcher"

Current Employee - Vending Cashier/Administrative Assistant/Service Line/Customer Service in Augusta, ME

I have been working at Pine State Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed the last 4 years in vending. Great benefits.

Cons

Small raises. Dishonesty. Do not care as much for their employees since the selling of cstore. Vending. Now town and country.
    Busted my butt wearing several hats for a long time with no pay ti show for that

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees and what they deserve

4. "Low Morale amongst Salesforce"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Pine State Trading (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well organized. Probably best in brand

Cons

Morale is always low. Not the employer for someone who likes to hear compliments. You never will. Management just asks for more, more, more no matter how well you perform

5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gardiner, ME
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gardiner, ME

Pros

Very Good, can be fun meeting all your accounts - gaining great relationships

Cons

Driving to many miles and having to many accounts

Advice to Management

Management is good - they seem to always be able to help

"Have a fall-back option ready"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, ME

I have been working at Pine State Trading full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pine State does offer a competitive pay rate, and benefits. The management team is very friendly, personable, and patient with newer employees like myself.

Cons

My specific job entails long hours, weekend shifts, and a terrible work/life balance. The management has been very inflexible with requested time off, even when sufficient reason is given. The beverage team is understaffed at the moment so there is a large workload with little or no support or help from management/sales representatives for merchandising their product. During the hiring process they say there is "room to move up" and they "promote from within" however I have found this could not be further from the truth, as there has been multiple positions open for a higher ranking position, yet they hire from outside to fill them instead of looking to reward the people who have been working hard for them. Like many other reviews about Pine State, I encourage people looking to proceed with caution. If you are a merchandiser, use this job as a stepping stone to gain experience and seek more sufficient employment. This is not a "career" by any means. I have found that the beverage sales team cares only about selling the most product possible, with no gratitude or concern to who is working hard to actually put the products on the shelf. I will also mention that the HR/payroll department failed to send me a w-2 and my most recent paycheck on time because "they lost my address information". It is not hard to keep an employee's address on file, which is inexcusable. To put it simply, I have been seeking new employment after about 2 months of working there.

"Be Cautious...."

Former Employee - Wine Merchandiser in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Wine Merchandiser in Portland, ME

Pros

I worked as a full time wine merchandiser in southern Maine for 3 years.
    I enjoyed meeting new people, helping customers in the stores. And most of the store managers were friendly and understanding.

Cons

Driving 100 miles a day in your own vehicle at .25 a mile. Long days, taking the heat for sales reps mistakes from store managers, not getting help when you ask, there is no team work in this company. Lack of communication from team manager. They communicate through text messages. No matter how hard you work you'll get over looked and the pretty boy gets the step up in a higher position. This job is not easy it will test you mentally, physically and emotionally.

Advice to Management

Communication is key!
    Team work!
    Pull your head out of your butt!
    Treat people like humans!
    People skills!
    Just because your higher on the totem pole doesn't make you a better person!

"Proceed with caution"

Current Employee - Office Administrator/Accounts Receivable
    Current Employee - Office Administrator/Accounts Receivable

I have been working at Pine State Trading full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Longevity pays. Great job security and never a dull moment. Fast paved environment in the beverage industry. Hard work pays off

Cons

Dysfunctional upper management with no accountability. Very little positive feedback. Lots of finger pointing. More concerned with placing blame than finding solutions. So sales centric that people behind the scene are overworked, underpaid and slightly abused. No work/life balance

Advice to Management

Hire more staff and provide comprehensive training

"A wonderful place to work!"

Former Employee - Creative Marketing in Gardiner, ME
    Former Employee - Creative Marketing in Gardiner, ME

Pros

Friendly culture. Great opportunities for cross-training. You will never be bored! Plenty of things to do and places to go. Show enthusiasm and positive attitude and they will reward you with support and development.

Cons

I found the health insurance requirements to be confusing, but they are forgiving in the case of mistakes.

"Driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Gardiner, ME
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Gardiner, ME

I have been working at Pine State Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and descant hours depending on season

Cons

Bad job placement, if you don't do good at one station they don't move to make it work, they just move you if they feel it should be done

Advice to Management

None