Pinkerton Government Services Security Officer Reviews | Glassdoor

Security Officer

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin Sandkuhler

1. "Good job security and good pay for their employees."

Former Employee - Security Officer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Pinkerton Government Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not too stressful, and a great way to get a security clearance early on in your career.

Cons

Small opportunity for advancement in the company.

2. "Contractor for cheap."

Former Employee - Security Officer in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Pinkerton Government Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pinkerton does offer okay benefits for their full-time employees, but there is not a lot of assistance to their employees beyond this.

It was a job and I made decent money without a degree. Not a bad college gig if you need a quiet night job to do homework or study. Lot's of free time in between responsibilities and lots of overtime possibilities do to the number of officers who don't show or sleep past their shifts. Hours can be very flexible, but the company is huge on seniority, so you have to serve your time.

Cons

Horrible opportunity to excel and move up in the company. Pinkerton constantly offered me new posts or opportunities and then ripped them away for a cheap hire instead. They will always take the cheap option and their lower employees take the hit. I took a pay cut while working there just to keep my job when they could not hold onto site contracts due to poor performance. Additionally, the bad employees were almost never reprimanded for not showing up, consistently being late, or failing to complete their duties. Considering the site was a classified defense contract, I was appalled by how lazily senior management let the biggest problems go. This is the worst job I have ever had and I started in retail / food services.

Advice to Management

Reward your dedicated, diligent, and hard working employees. I worked with a lot of great officers and none of us ever caught a bone for picking up shifts and carrying the weight of our other staff. If these employees were targeted for promotion, I believe Pinkerton can really utilize some of their younger and aspiring talent.

3. "Friendly co-workers but job duties seem unnecessary. Miscommunication with hiring manager."

Former Employee - Security Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Pinkerton Government Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sign up only if you desire to be a lead officer or for extra income(part time). Retirement job. Overtime available.

Cons

Dangerous security routes and unhealthy work conditions. Very low pay with no shift differential. In addition to the inclement weather. Possibly undermanned.

Advice to Management

Don't just hire people to fill a shift. Use good judgement in hiring decisions. Employees may not share the same values. Also, allow employees to negotiate a better pay rate, especially if they have experience. Otherwise, you may have a high turnover rate. Lastly, request and provide feedback to employees.

5. "Good pay, depending on where you work. Monotonous work. Great if you're in school or looking for another job."

Former Employee - Security Officer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Denver, CO

Pros

Depending on the position and location (and the hours you work), you could end up with a lot of down time. Which means that if you're in school this could be a great job while you're completing your studies.

Cons

A lot of turn over and a lot of ridiculous rules to follow and enforce. Some of the rules I had to enforce didn't make sense, but still had to act as if it would be the end of the world if someone broke the rule.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with your employees.

6. "Not so good"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Pinkerton Government Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better pay than most. They do provide nice uniforms.

Cons

Very little contact with management, hard to get in contact with mgt. As with most, you are working at THEIR will and may be terminated without reason or any reason given.

Advice to Management

Follow up on training, keep in touch with your people.

7. "Work the front security desk checking clients id cards before admitting in the building."

Former Contractor - Security Officer in Rockville, MD
    Former Contractor - Security Officer in Rockville, MD

I worked at Pinkerton Government Services as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

it was a good company to work for.

Cons

working for pinkerton government services.

8. "Great Company as long as you have good coworkers."

Current Employee - Security Officer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pinkerton Government Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for an entry level job, lots of overtime, no experience necessary.

Cons

Lots of overtime, easy to get terminated, not a ton of positions to progress to.

9. "I would like to have a job that is more challenging."

Current Employee - Security Officer in New Carrollton, MD
    Current Employee - Security Officer in New Carrollton, MD

Pros

I really like working with my co-worker's and the enviroment.

Cons

not being able to live up to my full potential.

Advice to Management

we need to have advancement and PTO time

"Great Employer however........"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at Pinkerton Government Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Job description and training are a great enhancement to anyone's resume due to the requirement of a federal security clearance.
    -Job is very straight forward and couldn't get much easier (Post Orders are excruciatingly detailed meaning if you mess up your at fault for not taking five minutes to refer to orders.
    -Fellow employees are some of the best I could ask for. Everyone looks out for you and never hesitates to explain something to you when asked. In fact they are more than happy to help out.
    -Supervisor, however a little off in right field at times, is one of the nicest people I've met being employed anywhere.
    -Job advancement. I have to explain this since I came in exactly a year to year and a half before my supervisor is planning to retire. Since other employees are part time or previously

Cons

-24hr staffing means around the clock shifts; although shifts are normally set.
    -Low man on deck gets 95% back shifts meaning if you had a life and friends you better post pone that for at least 5 years, especially if your co workers are younger.
    -Pay mistakes happen quite frequently, such as wrong rate (sometimes in your favor but never against) Can become rather disheartening when pay is 300 difference from check to check.
    -Human Resources is absolutely impossible to get a hold of..... as is finance departments, clerical departments, etc...... I've called after opening hours and phones were still set to closed for about an hour. Once I got through I had to go through several full mail boxes to get a oh I have no idea from someone in a completely different department when it was obvious they just asked the person I called (face to face no less who had just ignored repeated phone calls)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. However, I can already see that management elsewhere in the company is no where as great as the management at this site. I would only recommend that orders be implemented with a much stronger hand since most employees have become far too complacent with their jobs.

11. "Good company, poor regional management."

Current Employee - Security Officer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Pinkerton Government Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of training opportunities. 2 weeks paid vacation. Uniforms provided. Hourly rate slightly above average. Additional health and welfare benefit. No night shift and usually no weekends.
    Client is friendly and easy-going.

Cons

We are a too-small contingent assigned to a large corporation. 40 to 60 hour weeks. Understaffed.
    Generally ignored by PGS regional managers. No encouragement, only hear from them when they want something done or when they have a complaint. Local supervisor is under qualified.

Advice to Management

Hire and assign regional managers with some people skills. And, promote only employees to supervisor that have, at the very least, the basic skills for the position.