Pinnacle Airlines Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

1.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan Gumm
1 Rating

Pros
  • Flight benefits were good at one time but long gone now (in 23 reviews)

• All the pros for the company are gone now (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • low wages, no respect for the contract, treated like second class citizen (in 6 reviews)

• Bankruptcy and buyout wrecked the wonderful, small company feel (in 8 reviews)

1. "I don't know how to feel."

Former Employee - Crew Scheduler in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Crew Scheduler in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pinnacle Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good company for entry level jobs. With the organization being small, you develop good relationships with those you work with.

Cons

The company displaced a lot of good personell when they decided to relocate the headquarters to Minneapolis. Some of the jobs require a knowledge base and due to the relocation, the majority of the employees that had been employed were replaced with new personel. I think this will be the ultimate down fall of the comapany

Advice to Management

take care of the employees

"CORRUPT LEADERS"

Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pinnacle Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flight benefits were good at one time but long gone now. Ability to grow is also gone. Not sure there's anything to report as a pro at this time.

Cons

Complete corruption. Delta strong armed the board into taking Mesaba just after they took on massive debt they couldn't pay, which required this company (that was previously debt-free) to go into bankruptcy, which set the price just right for delta to take them over and dump debt. Not sure why this was never investigated as white collar crime.

Advice to Management

What goes around comes around.

3. "Mediocre at best"

I have been working at Pinnacle Airlines full-time

Pros

Easy to keep your job because they continue to give warnings and if you take a test or review and fail, they just keep retraining until you pass.

Cons

Poor pay for the difficulty of the job, irate supervisors that always act inappropriately and unprofessionally, they hire people completely incompetent for the positions they have in the headquarters.

5. "No organization at all with this company now that it has moved to Minneapolis."

Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pinnacle Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flight Benefits are ok but could be better

Cons

No Organization in the Mx department. The records department is pitiful.

Advice to Management

Get new CEO and below

6. "Regional Airline"

I have been working at Pinnacle Airlines full-time

Pros

Pinnacle is typical of the regional airlines. It is a great place to start a career as they will hire people straight out of school. The experience you get in 121 operations is easily transfer
    Able to other companies in the industry. There is almost always avenues for advancement which is also a great learning opportunity.

Cons

You will never get rich working there. They have a policy of paying middle of the industry average for other small regional airlines. In fact, it is easier to to get a higher salary by leaving and coming back than through years of loyal service.

Advice to Management

Honestly evaluate employees and pay them what they are worth to retain the talent that is hired. It would go a long way toward building a more stable and knowledgable workforce.

"While the opportunity to be an airline pilot is incredible, Pinnacle treats its employees horribly."

Current Employee - First Officer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pinnacle Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flying airliners is fun, especially CRJ900s (which will be Pinnacle Airline's only fleet in about 1-2 years based on its new air service agreement with Delta). There is the opportunity to build hours of experience, to be able to move on to other airlines if they hire. Flight benefits are great for those that love to travel. I wish I could be more positive, I really would like to be, but there just isn't enough there to be positive.

Cons

Pinnacle Airlines is a very punitive company that treats its professional employees as if they were badly behaved primary students. There is also little movement. Becoming a Captain as a pilot is the best way to gain the experience to move on, but after half a decade, most pilots are still First Officers, and many are still on reserve. With the planned shrinking of the fleet, this will get worse.

Advice to Management

Hire managers throughout the company with masters degrees in aviation operations management, listen to what they have to say, and manage the airline properly. Additionally, treat the professional employees within the airline as professionals that are vital to success and safety, not as small children.

"Took Mesaba Airlines down with it!"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pinnacle Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a former Mesaba Flight Attendant for 15 years, we are now Pinnacle employees due to Delta selling Mesaba to Pinnacle. I am sad to say there are no "pros" to working for this company. The treatment by management is extremely horrible while the CEO and CFO get hundreds of thousand dollar raises and then they file for bankruptcy. It is so corrupt and the morale is beyond low.

Cons

Everything about working for Pinnacle is just about horrible. I cannot think of anything positive to say about the company. I only remind my self it's a job to keep my sanity. Due to the bankruptcy the front line employees are forced to take extreme cuts in pay and benefits. The management has no respect for their employees and actually do not want their employees to stay because then you are no longer an asset but a liability, ie: you are too senior and there for cost us more so please quit so we can hire new people to do your job for the cheapest pay possible. Including pilots. Pilots/FA's/Mechanics/Agents have a lot of stress to handle and deserve to be paid a fair wage. Mesaba was making a profit while still treating their employees at least half way decent. Working for Pinnacle is a new low.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed by how your company is being rated. Take a look at what these employees are saying and really listen! And this also means Delta. Don't think for a minute we don't know why our pay/bene's have been slashed so low, it all stems from the top and if Delta can get Pinnacle to get their employees to accept the worst contracts then they benefit and it will trickle down to all other regional airlines too. It's a race to the bottom industry.

"This is a bottom of the barrel airline. They work you until you quit if you can afford to do that."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

You have flight benefits. If you do your job well you can do your job and not have management overseeing your day to day.

Cons

You have flight benefits but our seniority is awful. We are the last of the last to get a seat. We are below other company employees buddy passes and retirees. The company opted out of a better flight benefit package. We pay $50 a year to activate and there are no buddy passes. Parents can fly but they pay aprox .09 cents per mile. Other companies have buddy passes and parents fly with no fees. If I could I would go mainline. If I stayed regional I would choose SkyWest. I have met many of SkyWest flight crew and they are happy with the way they are treated. Ask any Pinnacle flight crew and I cannot say I am in the least bit confident you would get a complimentary response.

Pay for first officers and flight attendants are very poor. Flight attendants and a first officer with any family qualify for food stamps, it is very shameful. People should be payed a living wage in this country.

Advice to Management

As in all industries in the United States, management is scandalously over payed. Workers are the first to take pay cuts and in a show of good faith and solidarity with the workers management should be the first place hefty cuts are made.

10. "Stay away from Pinnacle Airlines"

Current Employee - First Officer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

It is such a bad company that everyone wants to leave and so you move up the seniority list faster then at other airlines.

Cons

Everything. Pay is terrible, scheduling isn't the best, management does not care about their employees at all, employee morale is terrible. How is it that someone who is responsible for a $30 million airplane and the lives of 50 passengers earns less than $30,000 for the first 2 years at the company.

Advice to Management

Actually treat your employees well and the rest will take care of itself. When everyone hates management, it really makes it hard to stay positive and give customers a good experience. The pilots are working for 2005 wages and yet in the time that the current contract has been expired, management has somehow been able to buy an airline and order 31 brand new airplanes. They are able to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on new airplanes and yet they refuse to pay even the industry average when it comes to industry average. Their motto is "simply the best" and yet the wages they pay are "simply the worst".